CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 19, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #27,166 of 31,833
Why are you mad the A6 Mini is gone? My left earpiece died within days and now they want me to send a video. I'm too impatient for that.

The last time I sent a youtube video to TinHifi and just realized that they can't see it anyway. Waste of time.
Wanted to try them after hearing many positive impressions, especially for this price. It's sad that you got a defective unit, the MT300 are also known for QC issues, but they are both still very nice IEMs in their price bracket 😉

Feb 19, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #27,167 of 31,833
I've been using and abusing my MT300 for many hours on a daily basis as far back as three weeks prior to my review and so far no issues here. So, maybe it could have been an issue with the first batch sent out. Just a reminder, this is a DIY product from Chi-fi, so my advice to everyone is don't be the first to buy any new DIY product, unless you're willing to try it first for the team. ...Just my 2 cents.

Feb 19, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #27,168 of 31,833
I admitted MT300's SQ is quite good with beautiful highs, transparent vocals, great soundstage. But, I am also concerned about its QC problem. I've got the 1st batch of MT300 since last June, and the right unit got broken within a month use. The right unit produced 50% less output volume than the normal left unit. The seller sent a replacement right unit after a long request. Unfortunately, the left unit got broken ( the same problem as the right unit ) last month as well. I also found several case reports concerning the 1st batch got broken within my user group. People are saying that electrostatic driver is so fragile to moisture. I don't know, but I have lost all my confidence to this brand.

21021016138a2a9ec534a16dcc.jpg
Weird, my MT300 has completely different nozzle grilles.
But I've been seeing tiny condensation deposits on the surface of the grille during my listening sessions recently, which made me worried, so just in case I switched to foam tips to alleviate that problem.

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #27,169 of 31,833
Weird, my MT300 has completely different nozzle grilles.
But I've been seeing tiny condensation deposits on the surface of the grille during my listening sessions recently, which made me worried, so just in case I switched to foam tips to alleviate that problem.

I heard they changed the nozzle grilles after wards. Its not a sudden drop in volume, it just diminished little by little, day by day. You won't notice but you can sense something wrong, propably the highs is not as exciting as first. Then, the drop in volume became noticeable in one day. OMG, it happens again ! Never experience die in both units before. One of my user group member just bought it 2 months ago, he's still waiting for the replacement unit ( if it really come after the CNY holiday ). With all these incidences happened, it makes me wonder they are using inferior driver especially the electrostatic one. It is not cheap if it can't last.

Feb 20, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #27,170 of 31,833
I've been using and abusing my MT300 for many hours on a daily basis as far back as three weeks prior to my review and so far no issues here. So, maybe it could have been an issue with the first batch sent out. Just a reminder, this is a DIY product from Chi-fi, so my advice to everyone is don't be the first to buy any new DIY product, unless you're willing to try it first for the team. ...Just my 2 cents.

I dont think it is responsible and applicable about the DIY, first batch matters in this case. They are definitely a scalable factory. I was a huge fan of their DTx and DTx Pro. They are cheap, good sound and durable, but not anymore. Considering the over $100 listed price and the luxury packaging, they definitely knew something so that they have to cut the price to half during the launch and afterwards.

Feb 20, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #27,171 of 31,833
I dont think it is responsible and applicable about the DIY, first batch matters in this case. They are definitely a scalable factory. I was a huge fan of their DTx and DTx Pro. They are cheap, good sound and durable, but not anymore. Considering the over $100 listed price and the luxury packaging, they definitely knew something so that they have to cut the price to half during the launch and afterwards.
I think I was unlucky with the DT as mine sounds a bit muddy and dark.

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #27,172 of 31,833
Sorry to hear about your lost, but all DIY's can be included in that matter and is a risk any of us is willing to take. That's why we have a saying here about Chi-fi's DIY's...Are you willing to take one for the team? So, in the end, everybody has different experiences. I had my fair share of losses too, and many others here as well.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #27,174 of 31,833
ZAX vs TA1 vs TD06?

Can't speak to the TA1, but can compare the ZAX to the TD06.

Sound signature:
The TD06 has substantially more sub-bass than the ZAX. Both the TD06 and ZAX feature a boosted mid-bass. Male vocals are more recessed on the TD06 than on the ZAX. Treble extension is substantially greater on the ZAX compared to the TD06. Overall, the TD06 is warmer and more visceral than the ZAX, but the ZAX is more balanced and has more sparkle than the TD06.

Imaging and Soundstage:
ZAX eats the TD06 for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The TD06 has a relatively confined, just-past-your-ears presentation while the ZAX allows the music to happen around you. Consequently, imaging on the TD06 is limited to discerning whether something is occurring on the left, right or center. The ZAX allows for a sense of airiness, as well as more spatial cues and instrument separation.

Detail retrieval:
The ZAX also slaughters the TD06 in this department.

Timbre and Dynamics:
The TD06 claws back some points against the ZAX here. The TD06 has a rich, natural and full-bodied timbre, whereas the ZAX does admirably for a hybrid but can present some artificiality at times.

Note weight is comparable across the TD06 and ZAX. The ZAX presents a sharper, more precise attack on each note than the TD06, but the TD06 presents a slower decay on each note than the ZAX. Overall, the ZAX is cleaner, brighter and more resolving than the TD06, but the TD06 is deeper, meatier and more intimate than the ZAX.

Usability:
The TD06 sports two tiny pinhole vents, encloses the driver in its own chamber with a sound tube, and is designed to sit flush and secure in one's outer ear. The ZAX is semi-open and its shell design prioritises universality of fit. Rather predictably, isolation is far superior on the TD06 than on the ZAX, and its bass-forward V-shaped sound makes it virtually perfect for commuting on the subway and on buses, since lower frequencies are usually the first to be impacted in such environments. For general listening, I gravitate to the ZAX most of the time, but might pick up the TD06 if I simply wanted to relax and wind down. The TD06 and ZAX are therefore complementary to each other for me, and I would hate to give up either of them.

Feb 21, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #27,175 of 31,833
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I want to experiment with my brother to see if either a hybrid or all BA IEM may work for him.

Apparently one of his friends blasted his right eardrum and only partially recovered from since.

I so I saw a review in Amazon, I believe it was a review on the CVJ CSA (wonder if that's a forgotten hybrid at this point) about having a damaged left eardrum that also only partially healed. Said that he couldn't stand most headphones and IEM, but like my brother he can listen to loudspeaker normally. Puts the CSA on and to the reviewer's surprise, he could listen to it completely pain free. Eventially arriving at the conclusion that the pain came specifially from DD treble. So a hybrid solved his problem.

Makes me wonder if my brother could add to the research by trying a hybrid or an all BA himself.

Should i guess that the ZAX is considered the absolute best general purpose hybrid in this bracket?

Actually I did tell you all about this before but never quite finished it.

Looks like the reviewer of the CSA is unaware exactly how a BA tweeter works so well for him however.

Feb 21, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #27,176 of 31,833
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but I want to experiment with my brother to see if either a hybrid or all BA IEM may work for him.

Apparently one of his friends blasted his right eardrum and only partially recovered from since.

I so I saw a review in Amazon, I believe it was a review on the CVJ CSA (wonder if that's a forgotten hybrid at this point) about having a damaged left eardrum that also only partially healed. Said that he couldn't stand most headphones and IEM, but like my brother he can listen to loudspeaker normally. Puts the CSA on and to the reviewer's surprise, he could listen to it completely pain free. Eventially arriving at the conclusion that the pain came specifially from DD treble. So a hybrid solved his problem.

Makes me wonder if my brother could add to the research by trying a hybrid or an all BA himself.

Should i guess that the ZAX is considered the absolute best general purpose hybrid in this bracket?

Actually I did tell you all about this before but never quite finished it.

Looks like the reviewer of the CSA is unaware exactly how a BA tweeter works so well for him however.
It would be hard to go wrong with the ZAX as far as all-purpose everyday listening is concerned. Sure there are other similarly priced IEMs that do vocals better/have more natural timbre/have more linear tuning (and I've raved about a couple of those) but the good old ZAX remains firmly within my rotation and reminds me, every time I listen to it, why it is such an easy recommendation.

Feb 21, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #27,177 of 31,833
Couldn't agree more. It's not my favourite by a long shot but if someone who wants a single pair of IEMs wants a recommendation for a good solid IEM that does nothing badly, the ZAX is about as consistently good across the board as they come.

Feb 22, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #27,179 of 31,833
Any cheaper budget BA, hybrids I could consider?
The KZ ZSN Pro is one of the cheaper ones I can think of. It's a 1 BA + 1 DD hybrid, like the CVJ CSA.

Though I suspect your brother might prefer a darker sounding IEM, but I don't know too many of those off the top of my head. Maybe the original KZ ZSN?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back