CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jun 6, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #18,241 of 31,833
No chewing gum ... ✓
no eating ... ✓
no talking ... easy one
no yawning ... mission impossible, fuggedaboutit

Haha, so true (especially when doing such a boring task late at night when everyone else is asleep)!

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #18,242 of 31,833
It obviously depends on the size of the IEM you start with.

For example, the earpod style one used less thermoplastic than the UiiSii one, because the body of the IEM were totally different sizes.

I'd say 50g would be more than enough to do 3-5. Remember, you can save every last bit of it for reuse. As I'm making mine, all of the excess material gets saved for next time. Absolutely nothing goes to waste, which is the beauty of the thermoplastic.

The worst part about the thermoplastic is the cool down wait. If you are an impatient type, you're gonna go bonkers. You have to sit relatively still for 45-60 minutes. If you want the best result possible, you can't do anything that will change the size or shape of your ear canal in the slightest, or else you'll have to start all over again. No chewing gum, no eating, no yawning, and no talking. The good news is that you can listen to your IEMs while waiting for the plastic to fully cool (a couple of albums, a couple podcasts, watching a movie or TV shows with them). I do it at night after everyone is asleep, so there's no chance of a phone call or interruption from a family member (anything that would force me to talk).

The material is very forgiving, and stays soft and pliable as it cools down, giving you a very long working time. You can shape it, smooth it, etc for a long time until you get the perfect fit and look. I use a mirror to help me make it look and fit the way I want it to. And because it's reusable, if you screw something up, you just remove it and start over again (which isn't possible with the silicone putty).

Do a search for "Dental Silicone Putty" or "mould making silicone putty" and you'll see it (yes mould is spelled like that on purpose). You don't need a lot of that either. 50g is like 3xs what Radians gives you.

I would only get the stuff indicated in the description as food grade, food safe, for dental use, etc.

Great. Thanks. I realize the bonus to buying the 500g is that you get the color pellets too.

Jun 6, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #18,243 of 31,833
Great. Thanks. I realize the bonus to buying the 500g is that you get the color pellets too.

I bought my color pellets by themselves.

So yeah, if whatever pack you’re looking at includes the colored pellets, that’s a bonus.

I also sent you a PM with some additional helpful tips.

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #18,244 of 31,833
I have ED9 and MH755 coming soon.... looking forward to hearing them!

Awesome, once I get mines too we can both share our comparisons between the two and see how they differ.

Jun 7, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #18,245 of 31,833
Im testing those KB Ear F1 from a few days, and I think that's gonna be real "something" in this segment of earphones.
Beautyfull, midcentric presentation without sacrificing edges. Easy to recomend as all-rounder for those who like not faked sound.
Bass is just a bit elevated and is enought on whole range. Mids are bit warm, voices are nice lightened. Treble are not harsh or fatiguing, and without recesion.
Those have almoust only benefits of one BA, whithout faults. Definietly performs above its price range.
Im waiting to read more opinions on them.

Jun 7, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #18,246 of 31,833
Im testing those KB Ear F1 from a few days, and I think that's gonna be real "something" in this segment of earphones.
Beautyfull, midcentric presentation without sacrificing edges. Easy to recomend as all-rounder for those who like not faked sound.
Bass is just a bit elevated and is enought on whole range. Mids are bit warm, voices are nice lightened. Treble are not harsh or fatiguing, and without recesion.
Those have almoust only benefits of one BA, whithout faults. Definietly performs above its price range.
Im waiting to read more opinions on them.

Mine has arrived in the country. Looking forward to receiving them... soon I hope...

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #18,247 of 31,833
Mine has arrived in the country. Looking forward to receiving them... soon I hope...

My KB Ear F1 was supposed to have been delivered on Wednesday, but now the Amazon order page says - "On the way but it's running late" - and on the Tracking page, it says it should be delivered Today.

Jun 7, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #18,248 of 31,833
Just ordered KB Ear F1 and DZAT DT-10. 1 BA vs. 2DD + 1 BA. Let's see what more can offer the 20€-30€ price range. Both use mmcx, so cable will be the same I use every day :ksc75smile:

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #18,249 of 31,833
My KB Ear F1 was supposed to have been delivered on Wednesday, but now the Amazon order page says - "On the way but it's running late" - and on the Tracking page, it says it should be delivered Today.

Mine has come from Aliexpress.. the KBear store. I hope it makes it through customs better than my Tanchjim Cora did. Had to pay a bit over £11 customs fees (£8 of which is the standard royal mail handling fee). Grrrrr.... that makes it about $15 added to the price of the $47 iem. Kind of tarnishes it a bit. Sounds amazing though. Not sure everyone could wear the Cora. It is tiny for a concha shaped iem.

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #18,250 of 31,833
Just ordered KB Ear F1 and DZAT DT-10. 1 BA vs. 2DD + 1 BA. Let's see what more can offer the 20€-30€ price range. Both use mmcx, so cable will be the same I use every day :ksc75smile:

When the DT-10 was first announced, I was interested - until I found out that they're using non-standard MMCX connectors, so only their cable will attach.

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #18,251 of 31,833
When the DT-10 was first announced, I was interested - until I found out that they're using non-standard MMCX connectors, so only their cable will attach.

That's bad, but I have quite different mmcx and maybe... Or is it something insurmountable? Anyway thanks for the update!

Jun 7, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #18,252 of 31,833
@DBaldock9 When your KBear arrives, would you please tell me if it comes with a case? Labeling some cases today and I want to know if I need to use one of the ones I have here for it.

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #18,253 of 31,833
Got my Tennmak Pro and Piano earheads for a combined cost of $22. And honestly, I'm a bit blown away by them. I'm favouring Pro over Piano simply due to fit. Pro is so snug and light.

Initial Impressions -
Pro sound balanced to me with lush bass and very slightly rolled off highs. Mids are thick and nice. Think they actually might have a U shaped signature but need to listen more to ascertain it. And they have power and slam to their output. Very fun to listen.

Piano are slightly bright than Pro with minute bass roll off. Point to be noted here is that I had uncomfortable fit without my desired seal. So that might have an impact on how I perceive them. Didn't focus on making them suitable to me as Pro had already won me over in the fit+comfort department.

Suspect my impressions won't change much for Pro as I feel they've hit my golden frequency. Will experiment with Piano to see how can I maximize their potential.

All in all, if someone with spare cables is looking for a $10 IEM they can't go wrong with either of them. Can also be used as gym IEMs with Bluetooth without hassles.

Jun 7, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #18,254 of 31,833
@DBaldock9 When your KBear arrives, would you please tell me if it comes with a case? Labeling some cases today and I want to know if I need to use one of the ones I have here for it.
Mine haven't any case included. Earphones looks even better then on pictures. Box is very small, just few tips and cable.
20190605_191624_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back