CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 17, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #17,431 of 31,833
HillAudio Altair. 38$. The construction is really to die for. Really no bs TOTL construction that take me by surprise, we talk about high quality resin molding only seen in way pricier iem.
P1011414.JPG P1011413.JPG P1011412.JPG P1011410.JPG
For sound, its were it reflect its price range were it go in direct competition of V shape sounding earphones...and we know this is quite an overcrownded territory.

Big around your head soundstage, big sub bass bump mixing slightly with mid bass that drop gently to let place to mid range breath, treble roll off but nice layering. Wich this strange tracks show nicely (lot of last earphones I try struggle to not make it sound mixed up and too muffled. Here sound layers are well rendered and bass is not hollow or mixed up. Quite airy presentation compared to C10 or T3 I listen to lately.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #17,432 of 31,833
The **** **** were a huge fail for me. They may sound great but the metal body is so heavy it's like having dumbbells in my ears. The weight issue is so bad the earpieces just fall to the ground! I even tried every eartip I own and they still don't make the **** useable. I'm sticking to iems with memory wire/ear hooks from here on out.
It weird but the funky red tips that came with it provide such a good seal that it isolates way better than I thought for an slightly open back. Way more isolating than all of my IEMs in the tube, because thefit is so snug.

Apr 17, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #17,433 of 31,833
Gonna buy my first IEM with price more than 5$. Prefered genres: a lot of jazz with alto and tenor sax, stoner/psychedelic rock and sometimes idm, downtempo, chillout. Price range 30-50$, was thinking about TIN T2/T3 - they were often described as IEMs with neutral signature, but I don't know how sensitive my ears will be to high frequency pikes from frequency response charts (8-9 and 11-12 kHz). As I understand I need some kind of neutral or a little bit warm sound signature for instrumental music? Any other sugestions for listed music genres in this price range?

P.S. Also was looking for Final Audio E2000 or E3000, they are not selling locally in my country, but saw few people selling used.
I think the Tinaudios, from what I've heard, would be a bit bass light. I would suggest the **** as I just received them and have tested a lot of jazz (not much sax so can't vouch for timber), rock and tommy guerrero type stuff I don't know how to classify. YOu need bass for these genres and **** provides it well for me. I wouldn't say it's warm, because it's a bit of a mix between warmth down low and the pinpoint highs (never sibilant), but a tad of dryness spread over. The midbass covers the rest with a big of fudge but all is clear and seperation is neat. Soundstage closes the deal with a headphone-like external soundstage.

Definitely impressed and this is with the original cable...tempted to try the IT01 cable on it to reduce the dryness, if copper will do that to it. But need more time to settle down before experimenting!
Buying another of these next month as gift is on my mind.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #17,434 of 31,833
It weird but the funky red tips that came with it provide such a good seal that it isolates way better than I thought for an slightly open back. Way more isolating than all of my IEMs in the tube, because thefit is so snug.

I do not have the **** (my husband does) but I do have the funky red tips as he could not use them. I should find something to put them on... I wonder which ones would benefit.

Apr 17, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #17,435 of 31,833
I do not have the **** (my husband does) but I do have the funky red tips as he could not use them. I should find something to put them on... I wonder which ones would benefit.
They fell right off my KZ ZS5s, and taking them out was harder that most. :)
The **** is hard to drive though, have to go to 95-100% on my lumia 1020 phone, which normally is pretty ok. Have yet to test it on little amp, as my laptop does well enough

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #17,436 of 31,833
I would suggest the ****
I have read some bad reviews about them: faulty units, fitting problem (external brim cuts in ear, bad noise isolation), small scene, some say it has more impedance than declared because of piezo driver and thus better to use with external amp. So i'm not sure about them, don't wanna to hassle with returning back to China. And it's really hard to find IEM with smooth, warm sound without muffled mids among tons of V-shaped and bright sub 100$ IEMs.

Apr 17, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #17,437 of 31,833
I have read some bad reviews about them: faulty units, fitting problem (external brim cuts in ear, bad noise isolation), small scene, some say it has more impedance than declared because of piezo driver and thus better to use with external amp. So i'm not sure about them, don't wanna to hassle with returning back to China. And it's really hard to find IEM with smooth, warm sound without muffled mids among tons of V-shaped and bright sub 100$ IEMs.

I've ordered two pairs with months between them and they both are perfectly fine. They are my favorites at the moment.

Apr 17, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #17,439 of 31,833
I'm a little skeptical about chi-fi with more than 2 drivers - it's a high chance of getting unbalanced channels and odd sounding because of faulty driver. Also in review of couple similar 4-5 driver earphones from KZ I saw strong discrepancies between left and right channel on measurement charts. But you are not only one who suggested them, so gonna add to the list. Btw, how are they compared to ZS10 and AS10?

10276199.jpg

My CCA-C10 has incredible channel matching for the price.

Apr 17, 2019 at 8:51 PM Post #17,440 of 31,833

I don't think there are that many bad reviews here, and they surely pale in comparison the aliexpress' ratings (have no checked), for info on quality control.
Noise isolation has been overplayed in my case as they are actually one of the most isolating I have with stock tips, due to fit and not being bass light with my tracks.
The open back has the soundstage as an advantage so "small scene" goes out of the window for me as well. External amp? Perhaps..I have my phone at 90-100%full and I'm probably pushing my ears a bit, but my laptop handles it. It only makes me wonder what they sound like on an amp.

The soundstage is its strong suite for me, but muffled mids is something I have trouble to argue about as I mostly have so called muffled mids IEMs both warm and cold...I like soundstage and a bit of both :)
I think you can risk the quality issue risk.

I think there might be warmer IEMs in your price range. Perhaps the KZ ZS4? The ZS3 I have is way too dark but apparently, the newer version brought the higher frequencies up to par. Isolation is TOTAL space-like. However, I doubt it has the clarity and the precision as the **** on all frequencies.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #17,441 of 31,833
Hm. I'm getting one or another of the TRN Bluetooth adapters (wavering between the Latest and Greatest or Insurance Against Gravity)...
Haven't had a chance to try 'em yet (picked them up from the post office earlier today but was busy all evening), but I like that the TRN BT20 comes with a split USB charging cable. Nice touch I hadn't expected.

Apr 18, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #17,442 of 31,833
Looks like I need to reconsider **** and read some reviews again. Btw I'm gonna listen them through Mi MIX 2S directly (output power up to 4w as said in SoC description) and when on the go - through BTI-031 bluetooth adapter (it has PAM8908 amp with 25mW @ 16 oHm per channel). Not sure about KZ ZS4 most say it's V-shaped trash with bloated bus, grain mids and harsh treble, only isolation is good part of them.

Apr 18, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #17,443 of 31,833
Haven't had a chance to try 'em yet (picked them up from the post office earlier today but was busy all evening), but I like that the TRN BT20 comes with a split USB charging cable. Nice touch I hadn't expected.
I threw that cable out, first time I used it got scorching hot really quickly. I have a 5 usb port charger that I throw each.on a separate cable. I hope mine was a bad unit and you don't have the same problem! The BT20's themselves I love, they are now my daily driver paired with the AS10.

Apr 18, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #17,444 of 31,833
Apr 18, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #17,445 of 31,833
Is it me that do not read enough here...but T3 aren't as highly praised than T2???

....wich was like the last year ****, something that people just cannot stop to share their love about.

Is it because of the price? Cable is sure incredible.

Still need to listen more as i'm invade with earphones and don't even give enough time to **** as I wish....but my first impression was like: not bad but i prefer T2 thicker sound with richer timbre and more fowards vocal and perhaps....more bass too. hum.

Curious to read more impressions about those.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back