Cheap amp for W1000x
Jun 9, 2011 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

bryangww

Head-Fier
Hey all, Im about to place an order on pricejapan for the ath w1000x. Was thinking of getting an amp that wouldnt kill my already hurting wallet. Would the Fiio e7 + e9 be good enough?

Also, does anyone feel that the w1000x bass is abit too little? I auditioned some un burned in ones today and couldnt feel the impact of the bass when it was needed especially when comparing with the Denon 5000. Will the bass get stronger after burn in?

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 15
Erm no. The W1000X is by far the most bassy in the current full size Audio Technica line-up, I consider it rather warm. Denon D5000 is a totally different thing, compared to the more refined D7000, I consider the bass on the D5000 pretty much bloated. Sure, it sounds very impressive first listen, after a while it just drowns out a lot of details. Not sure how much burn-in will change it, but W1000X is not bassy lacking, far from it. FYI, my A2000X's sound changed quite a bit burning in, but now it seems to have settled in. I don't burn in using pink noise, although you can but I just listen to it.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
Erm no. The W1000X is by far the most bassy in the current full size Audio Technica line-up, I consider it rather warm. Denon D5000 is a totally different thing, compared to the more refined D7000, I consider the bass on the D5000 pretty much bloated. Sure, it sounds very impressive first listen, after a while it just drowns out a lot of details. Not sure how much burn-in will change it, but W1000X is not bassy lacking, far from it. FYI, my A2000X's sound changed quite a bit burning in, but now it seems to have settled in. I don't burn in using pink noise, although you can but I just listen to it.

Hey, thanks for your reply, i found it very helpful. So i take it that you've tried the w1000x? How would you compare it to the similar priced a2000x. Why did you go for the a2000x instead?

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 15
Price wasn't really a problem for me, it was the sound that the W1000X have. It's definition, treble and midrange is not on par with other high end Audio Technica headphones A2000X/AD2000/W5000, plus the bass is too much for me. Instead it is a more "fun" headphone that is rather forgiving on the source and amp, which other ATs are not. It have that "hi-fi" sound that most newcomers expects, like the Denons, they shared a big bass and warmer presentation. I am pretty much a all out Audio Technica and STAX fan, the big bass on it is just not for my likings.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #5 of 15
I think E7+E9 willbe fine for these cans ( for desktop use) but Matrix M Stage is step up from E9 like power, details ect.

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Price wasn't really a problem for me, it was the sound that the W1000X have. It's definition, treble and midrange is not on par with other high end Audio Technica headphones A2000X/AD2000/W5000, plus the bass is too much for me. Instead it is a more "fun" headphone that is rather forgiving on the source and amp, which other ATs are not. It have that "hi-fi" sound that most newcomers expects, like the Denons, they shared a big bass and warmer presentation. I am pretty much a all out Audio Technica and STAX fan, the big bass on it is just not for my likings.

Got it, just placed my order on pricejapan. Hope it arrives safely. Btw, what is pink noise?

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 15
I have the W1000x and both the Fiio E7/E9 combo and Audio-gd NFB-12 DAC/amp, which is around the same total cost (NFB-12 is US$200 before shipping). I prefer the NFB-12, it has a warmer, smoother sound while the Fiio is a bit sharper. The NFB-12 also does soundstaging a bit better for the music I listen to (rock, metal). I found on some songs that the Fiio would put the drummer at the front, and hence the sound didn't always seem right. That was only a problem on certain rock songs though, the fiio combo does classical fine.

Jun 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 15
I am patiently waiting for my ATH W 5000. My next step is the Burson 160 amp. There are some reviewers prefer the lively sound of the W1000x but I bite the bullet and go for the top of the line. Hopefully this will end my quest for headphone search.

Funny thing is out of all my headphones, I find myself often reach for the JVC HARX700 for non critical listening. I run across the Japanese website and they have the JVC DX 1000 for under 1k USA. I wonder if you have experience with the JVC DX 1000.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I have the W1000x and both the Fiio E7/E9 combo and Audio-gd NFB-12 DAC/amp, which is around the same total cost (NFB-12 is US$200 before shipping). I prefer the NFB-12, it has a warmer, smoother sound while the Fiio is a bit sharper. The NFB-12 also does soundstaging a bit better for the music I listen to (rock, metal). I found on some songs that the Fiio would put the drummer at the front, and hence the sound didn't always seem right. That was only a problem on certain rock songs though, the fiio combo does classical fine.

Thanks, I also feel that a warmer amp would benefit the W1000X. where did you buy your nfb from?

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 15
Direct from the audio-gd website. Was about 2 weeks between order and delivery and they were good to deal with.

Please note the NFB-12 was just a suggestion for the price range - I did a heck of a lot of research and listening before deciding which amp would suit my needs best - and there are plenty of other good options out there. Definitely have a look at the thread on head-fi.

Jun 10, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Direct from the audio-gd website. Was about 2 weeks between order and delivery and they were good to deal with.

Please note the NFB-12 was just a suggestion for the price range - I did a heck of a lot of research and listening before deciding which amp would suit my needs best - and there are plenty of other good options out there. Definitely have a look at the thread on head-fi.

Thanks!

May 11, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 15
hey, sorry for bringing this thread up again.
I'm new to all these headphone stuff, and have just bought a w1000x!!!!
currently I'm just listening it off computer without amp. 
I'm planning to buy a cheap (less than 200) amp for the phones, but don't know what to choose from.
The Fiio e17 looks good to me,does anyone know if that would be good with w1000x?
or should i get the NFB-12?

May 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
hey, sorry for bringing this thread up again.
I'm new to all these headphone stuff, and have just bought a w1000x!!!!
currently I'm just listening it off computer without amp. 
I'm planning to buy a cheap (less than 200) amp for the phones, but don't know what to choose from.
The Fiio e17 looks good to me,does anyone know if that would be good with w1000x?
or should i get the NFB-12?

I'm really enjoying the w1000x with the Arcam rPAC (nicely built async USB DAC/amp) - it livens them up nicely ($250ish).

Drew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back