Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Nov 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #917 of 1,326
Great tapatalk deleted my witty post.
Hifi-m8 is great because we can tweak it in so many ways.

Anyways experimented with the 1/4 plug out using an 1/4 adapter to 3.5mm.

The straight 3.5mm out is a combo plug which also has optical out.

The 1/4 out is just that, a single out.

Any differences?

I found the 3.5mm slightly warmer, and using the 1/4 out to 3.5mm via adapter more crisp.

su8u2e5e.jpg

I would be interested in others findings, similar or otherwise.

Okay, I didn't quite believe that there could/should be a significant difference, if any at all  to my ears but I must admit that I clearly heard one when using an adapter with my Ety 4s fitting into the 6.3mm output.

My adapter is random, gold plated etc. (I have many) and I can't remember where it is from.. But I do hear a difference, much more than anything else I have tried compare.... within reasons :)

Confirming Expat's initial experience..  A more crisper, cleaner, open sound stage compared to the 3,5mm output that does sound warmer and more mid orientated.

Now what I believe could be the difference could be a couple of db's between the two output's. I'm certainly not sure.. But I certainly encourage other owners of the M8 to check it out and experience what they hear.. It could very well be likely that the two outputs "behave"/sound differently, if not then it could be the adapter or the headphones/IEMS or so many other things that I have lost count :) 

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #920 of 1,326
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to share my impressions that I posted in the other M8 thread:

I've had a few days to spend some time with my new HiFi M8 and I really like it. I think it will get more mileage than any other piece of portable equipment in my current stable. Although this does not constitute a full review I wanted to share my immediate impressions.

The midrange and lush and detailed. I may even describe it as very-slightly forward.

The treble is light, airy and never harsh. I think CEntrance nailed it with the treble. It's arguably its best feature.

Now we come to the bass... Um, underwhelmed. I'm by no means disappointed in the HiFi M8 but I do take umbrage with the lack of impact and richness in the bass from a $700 portable unit. I'm a recovering basshead so I am biased but I just feel like I need a little more.

All in all, I am 90% happy with this device which is a high rating for an obsessive compulsive Head-Fi'er like myself. If CEntrance could focus a little more attention on better decay and texture in the bass area they would have a perfect device in my humble opinion.

Kudos to the folks at CEntrance for making such a wonderful do-it-all portable at their first attempt.

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #921 of 1,326
Samsung Note 2 or Note 3 phone.  I have a huge amount of 320kbps MP3 via Spotify.

Question 1.  Can the Note 2 or Note 3 play these files via USB connection to the M8? 

Question 2. Does this sound better via pure battery operation or is there no degradation when connected to a power source on a desk? 

Question 3. Anyone use this as a desktop DAC and selling off your previous desktop DAC?  If so, what did it replace?  Wondering how good this is functioning as a DAC. 

Thanks for any help,
UL

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #922 of 1,326
Samsung Note 2 or Note 3 phone.  I have a huge amount of 320kbps MP3 via Spotify.

Question 1.  Can the Note 2 or Note 3 play these files via USB connection to the M8? 

Question 2. Does this sound better via pure battery operation or is there no degradation when connected to a power source on a desk? 

Question 3. Anyone use this as a desktop DAC and selling off your previous desktop DAC?  If so, what did it replace?  Wondering how good this is functioning as a DAC. 

Thanks for any help,
UL

I have noticed no difference with pure battery operation vs. being plugged in.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #923 of 1,326

Thanks for any help,
UL

1.  The Note 2 cannot.  It will only work via USB Audio Recorder Pro, which means only FLAC or WAV through the UARP player.  No streaming services or other players.  Note 3 may be different.
2.  No difference for me.  It uses the battery (basically one giant capacitor) for power still when plugged in so you should get the same clean power.
3.  I am not using it as a desktop DAC per se since I am not running it into another amp.  I am however selling my Resonessence Concero and Bottlehead S.E.X. as well as all other DAC/amp gear because I am pleased enough with the performance of the M8.

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #925 of 1,326
I love the way my Hifi-M8 works, with one exception:

I was led to believe it would charge the iPhone 5 while charging itself through the power supply and cord. If anything, it completely drains my iPhone (IOS 7) even when not listening to music.

Anyone care to tell me if they have had a similar experience or what, if anything, I am doing incorrectly.

Many thanks.

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #926 of 1,326

I was led to believe it would charge the iPhone 5 while charging itself through the power supply and cord. If anything, it completely drains my iPhone (IOS 7) even when not listening to music.

Anyone care to tell me if they have had a similar experience or what, if anything, I am doing incorrectly.

Many thanks.

You must have the M8 turned on as if you were listening to the iPhone for it to charge.  A little weird, but not bad.  If you do have it turned on and it is not charging, then something is up.  I have a 5S, I can check to see that it charges when I get home if you need me to do so.  Please PM me if you would like me to check.  I get emails associated with PM's but not with thread posts.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:14 AM Post #927 of 1,326

Many thanks.

I don't think the M8 charges the iOS device when the M8 is switched off? Someone can try that.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #929 of 1,326
I really appreciate everyone's advice with regard to leaving the Hifi-M8 on when connected to the power supply and phone, to effect charge to both the phone and the M8.

However, I tried that and found that it still drains my iPhone 5 battery and will not charge it at all. When first plugging it in, I get the momentary "ding" that signals the phone is charging as the iPhone battery turns green momentarily. Then, the indicator turns white again and the drain on the iPhone's battery starts again.

Think I should contact Centrance? Or, do you think it is an IOS 7.0.4 problem? This is really weird.

Unit still sounds great.

UPDATE - - -

Figured it out when my foot accidentally touched the power supply. Nice tingling sensation - yeow! Thought I had stuck my tongue on a radio battery. There was a bad power cable (came with the unit). Replaced it and everything is working just as everyone said it should.

Thanks again for the comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back