Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #931 of 1,326

UPDATE - - -

Figured it out when my foot accidentally touched the power supply. Nice tingling sensation - yeow! Thought I had stuck my tongue on a radio battery. There was a bad power cable (came with the unit). Replaced it and everything is working just as everyone said it should.

Thanks again for the comments.

solved!!!

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #933 of 1,326
Well......... Crap!  I'm sitting here wasting a bit of time at work in an empty office (weekend).  I've switched back and forth from my shiny new iPhone 5S to the HIFI-M8 (with the same 5S as the source), with my ciems, the 1964 Ears Quads that were their TOL a couple of years ago.

Note - simple attempt to volume match by ear, no blind test.  Just a simple switch back and forth to hear what I hear.

I have been claiming that really, the HIFI-M8 (or any amp other than something like the Pico Slim) is just plain overkill for iems/ciems.  I've been claiming that straight out of the iPhone was just fine, in fact really good.

* Straight out of an iPhone IS really good, by the way *

The HIFI-M8 has that bit of hiss that we sometimes get out of high-ish gain amps with very low impedance/high sensitivity iems/ciems.  But Oh My Goodness!  a few minutes with each set up really shows how much better the HIFI-M8 is.  On the go you won't hear it, but for idle listening/critical listening - how do I explain it best -

When you look at a stream or tide pool with sunglasses on, you sort of see into the water, but the glare kind of obstructs things.  Then you put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and you can see INTO the water, see the fish, the coral, the sandy or rock bottom because the glare is eliminated.

The HIFI-M8 is the polarized glasses.  The dynamics are greater, there is a depth and texture to the music that is just not there with the iPhone alone.  Bass drums, bass notes on an organ or synth or bass guitar have a palpable feel.  The details and quieter little treasures within the music are revealed more fully.  Loreena Mckennett's voice soars, and dives and envelops, creeping into one's very soul.  Without the M8, still the goosebumps, but not the depth and emotion.

Kinda like watching your kids on a roller coaster - the noise, the screams, it's exciting as hell.  Then one of the little sadists actually talks you into getting ON the roller coaster with her - something you haven't done since your honeymoon, and hadn't done for 15 years before that.  Clack, clack, clack, pause....... click - HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIITE!!!!!

It's kinda like that.  OK, maybe a bit (quite a bit...) of way over the top hyperbole, but a very noticeable difference.

If I was an iems most of the time guy, I'd invest in the gain reduction mod.  I'm not, so I won't, but I will start using the HIFI-M8 a bit more often with my quads - it is pretty killer!

EDIT - to add a plug for Loreena McKennett.  If you are not familiar - check her out.  Elemental, The Book of Secrets and An Ancient Muse are probably my favorite albums.  Modern Celtic to new age.  She has a wonderful, powerful voice, a big range.  A profound ability to induce goosebumps.  Great stuff, if it falls into your taste range.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #934 of 1,326
Thanks.  That you are selling your Concero and Botttlehead is quite a testament.   May I ask if the the M8 is on par, or better in your opinion? Or just close enough that the convenience factor rules? 

I see that you  have the HD800 - for that, do you not find the tube amps to make it sound better than the M8 solid state?

Really appreciate your reply.

Thanks,
UL

Quote:

1.  The Note 2 cannot.  It will only work via USB Audio Recorder Pro, which means only FLAC or WAV through the UARP player.  No streaming services or other players.  Note 3 may be different.
2.  No difference for me.  It uses the battery (basically one giant capacitor) for power still when plugged in so you should get the same clean power.
3.  I am not using it as a desktop DAC per se since I am not running it into another amp.  I am however selling my Resonessence Concero and Bottlehead S.E.X. as well as all other DAC/amp gear because I am pleased enough with the performance of the M8.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #936 of 1,326
Any comments contrasting the Vmoda and the MonoPrice lightning cables? I see 1/4" length difference and $10 diference. Any hands on experience with either?

I did some comparisons a few pages back on this thread or the other hifi-m8 thread.

Also i wrote some bits in the cable section in the lightning .

These were done using the 3.5mm combo out.

I need to do updated tests with the 1/4 out via adapter as the sound differences between the two outlet ports is quite significantly different.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #937 of 1,326
Quick question on itouch w. M8. 

if the itouch is hooked up to the M8, does ALL audio then go through the M8?  For example, I have thousands of downloaded tracks via Spotify (320kbps)  Do these simply play through the M8 using the M8's DAC transparently? 

Thanks!
UL

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #938 of 1,326
Any comments contrasting the Vmoda and the MonoPrice lightning cables? I see 1/4" length difference and $10 diference. Any hands on experience with either?

I've ordered one of the monoprice cables to try. The hope is that it can be disassembled without destroying it, and make some of the custom mini cables that are "certified". My attempt at disassembling the genuine Apple cable ended in a pile of wreckage. I'm hoping these are a little less "self destruct" style.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #940 of 1,326
I finally had a chance to use and experience the M8's balanced output with my HD600's.  I approached btg-audio to switch the original plug to a 4-pin XLR plug installed on a stock HD650 cable and he perfomed an excellent job, although he took his time:) 

Since I already very much like how the HD600 sounds with the HD650 stock cable and its convenience regarding length and comfort.  I had no urgent need to invest or even visit the thought of an expensive cable to become in balance with the M8...

Since I had another HD650 cable at hand I was kind of able to compare the difference regarding single output vs. the 4-pin XLR output using similar cables but with different plugs,of course! 

There was still a natural delay due to the time it took switching the cables. I'm very slowhanded and I didn't want to expose my HD600 to unnecessary strain etc. so it was basically just a brief visit..  I could also listen to one side in single mode and the other side in balanced mode to see if I detected any differences and vise verse..

What I detected with this setup and with my very superficial way of approaching this "comparison"  was a slight more clarity maybe a more precise or just a different imaging with the balanced cable. This, yet again very slight difference could also be related to the "fact" or what I experienced in real time was that the balanced cable was slightly louder, maybe by 1-2 DB when I compared the two cables left vs right/right vs left.

There could be so many other reasons for what I experienced that and I won't bring it up right this moment, but I'm pleased with this outcome since I beforehand didn't expect to find any difference and my effort did not seem wasted!  Another positive outcome, the balanced output seems to work very well and maybe even for the better in this scenario..

Nov 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #941 of 1,326

if the itouch is hooked up to the M8, does ALL audio then go through the M8?  For example, I have thousands of downloaded tracks via Spotify (320kbps)  Do these simply play through the M8 using the M8's DAC transparently? 

Thanks!

UL

Yes all audio is played via the M8. I use Napster all the time.

Nov 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #942 of 1,326

Thanks!
UL

I missed your post until now.  Yes the M8 will work.  I've used it often with Spotify and Pandora.  Any audio will work.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #943 of 1,326
Here's an idea to keep your M8 jacks protected. I think it's a good idea, it being a portable unit and all, being subject to pockets, bags, dust, etc. These are made by Neutrik. "NDJ" fits the 1/4" jack, 'NDF" fits the female XLR jack. Unfortunately, they do not make a 1/8 dummy plug. I think protecting the optical out jack is especially vital. In that case, an "NDP" which is originally designed for an RCA jack cover works with a bit of creativity. Cut the lip down, and epoxy in an old 1/8 jack from whatever and there you have it, a plug for your optical jack. All these Neutrik dummy plugs are available from Mouser and are crazy good.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM Post #945 of 1,326
I'm trying decide on this amp/DAC.  Right now I use HD600/Cardas with iPod Classic and RSA HornetM or Headroom Total Bithead.  Music is ripped from CDs or iTunes.  What could I expect from adding the M8?  Jazz is my first choice in music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back