Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Nov 6, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #904 of 1,326
Hi dxxxx,

The level goes up from left to right. This is consistent on all switches. To the right is louder.

This is why the impedance switch is wired backwards -- to give you more level going to the right.

So it is, in fact: 11, 2, 1.

Cheers
Michael

Nov 6, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #905 of 1,326
Hi dxxxx,

The level goes up from left to right. This is consistent on all switches. To the right is louder.

This is why the impedance switch is wired backwards -- to give you more level going to the right.

Cheers
Michael

I like head-fiers with Centrance products. They are really helpful and sharing information at the moment they learned.

So, please Mr Goodman, make a M8 with Coax input, I am so excited to get into the family
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #907 of 1,326
Hi dxxxx,

Cheers
Michael

Thanks.  so, which is the theoretical best value for a 25 ohms headphone ?  (fostex TH900)

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #908 of 1,326
Usually 1ohm output to 8 is recommended,
The ol 1/8 rule.

32ohm headphones match with 4ohm output impedance.

But some creators recommend a 1/10 match.

For multi driver IEMs it is my understanding that they vary in response and the lower the better.

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #909 of 1,326
OK thanks for the impedance informations.

Now I need to find an alternative source to my RWAK100 that will at least support 24/96 and also offer a nice UI and good playlist support (booth not offered by the AK100)

1 --> I read that the Samsung Note 3 with the appropriate USB OTG cable will support up to 24/96 without downsampling !  is it correct ?  With what player (besides Recorder PRO that also has NO UI and NO playlist support) 

2 --> Will this nice cable from FAW works ?   and What termination will I need to choose ?  they offer on one end USB Micro B, but on the other End there are 5 choices possibles !! ( USB-A, USB-B, USB Micro-A, USB Micro-B, USB Mini-B) !  I got lost !

Nov 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #910 of 1,326
Usually 1ohm output to 8 is recommended,
The ol 1/8 rule.

32ohm headphones match with 4ohm output impedance.

But some creators recommend a 1/10 match.

For multi driver IEMs it is my understanding that they vary in response and the lower the better.

Do you have a source on that info, would love to read up on it. I always just used the lowest lowest resistive output, but I really haven't put much thought into the subject.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #912 of 1,326
  OK thanks for the impedance informations.

Now I need to find an alternative source to my RWAK100 that will at least support 24/96 and also offer a nice UI and good playlist support (booth not offered by the AK100)

1 --> I read that the Samsung Note 3 with the appropriate USB OTG cable will support up to 24/96 without downsampling !  is it correct ?  With what player (besides Recorder PRO that also has NO UI and NO playlist support) 

2 --> Will this nice cable from FAW works ?   and What termination will I need to choose ?  they offer on one end USB Micro B, but on the other End there are 5 choices possibles !! ( USB-A, USB-B, USB Micro-A, USB Micro-B, USB Mini-B) !  I got lost !

This is what I use with a Galaxy S4 and USB Audio Recorder Pro.  It can be a bit difficult to engage at times requiring a restart.  Be sure the cable is fully seated and the M8 is on before activating the application.

With regard to the 11, 2, 1 ohm impedance setting I am going to have to listen for a bit.  I don't know which setting I like better.  There is still no hiss.

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #913 of 1,326
Hi dxxxx,

Cheers
Michael

Thank you so much, this completely makes sense to me and versus the reverse or original presentation questioning my experience how impedance works or/and effects any given IEM/low impedance headphone, and I thought for a brief moment/one week that I had it all wrong and that everyone or some was experiencing  something I missed out on..

Nov 7, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #914 of 1,326
Great tapatalk deleted my witty post.
Hifi-m8 is great because we can tweak it in so many ways.

Anyways experimented with the 1/4 plug out using an 1/4 adapter to 3.5mm.

The straight 3.5mm out is a combo plug which also has optical out.

The 1/4 out is just that, a single out.

Any differences?

I found the 3.5mm slightly warmer, and using the 1/4 out to 3.5mm via adapter more crisp.

su8u2e5e.jpg

I would be interested in others findings, similar or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back