Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Aug 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #331 of 1,326
The way Mr Michaels is spending $$$ these days, the Alpha Dogs are by no means out of his range......
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #332 of 1,326
Quote:
IIRC, the upcoming Alpha Pads are said to be isolating better than the MDs. They cost about twice as much though but then there's an upgrade program for current MDs owners.

Yes, as a Mad Dog owner I thought the Alpha's isolated better when I heard them at Headmasters (and pre-ordered a pair).

I can't WAIT to listen to those cans w/ the CEntrance HiFi-M8 when I get mine!!!!

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #333 of 1,326
Quote:
Yes, as a Mad Dog owner I thought the Alpha's isolated better when I heard them at Headmasters (and pre-ordered a pair).

I can't WAIT to listen to those cans w/ the CEntrance HiFi-M8 when I get mine!!!!

Good thing you knew I meant Alpha Dogs, not Alpha Pads 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm kinda drooling over both the M8 and the Alpha Dogs too. Now to scratch up that money...

Aug 19, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #334 of 1,326
Quote:
Good thing you knew I meant Alpha Dogs, not Alpha Pads 
beerchug.gif

Yeah, I'm kinda drooling over both the M8 and the Alpha Dogs too. Now to scratch up that money...

Yeah I gotcha.

It's not often that I'm drooling like this over a new DAC/amp AND a new set of cans on the way!
I mean, I get things delivered often for the music and Hifi reviews, but I'm really pumped for both
of these things.

And I'm pumped to hear them together!  I hope they compliment each other well and have great system
synergy.  That means EVERYTHING to me!!

It seemed as if the Alpha Dogs will play well with others.  That's an impression I got, and thankfully I got
to hear them on familiar equipment (the Burson Conductor) so I could feel comfortable judging the cans.

Aug 20, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #335 of 1,326
Quote:
Mr Goodman,
I hope you share with this thread the resolution of the interference issue.
thank you,
Angular Mo

So far, out of all the units shipped, this is the only reported case of interference.

We requested the unit back from the customer and are paying for shipping. As soon as it arrives, we will investigate. Our plan is to announce the issue if we find it.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #336 of 1,326
Quote:
So far, out of all the units shipped, this is the only reported case of interference.

We requested the unit back from the customer and are paying for shipping. As soon as it arrives, we will investigate. Our plan is to announce the issue if we find it.

Have you tested with WiFi by the by? I think a portable player streaming from a home server via UPnP is a likely (and pretty attractive) scenario.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #337 of 1,326
Quote:
Yeah I gotcha.

It's not often that I'm drooling like this over a new DAC/amp AND a new set of cans on the way!
I mean, I get things delivered often for the music and Hifi reviews, but I'm really pumped for both
of these things.

And I'm pumped to hear them together!  I hope they compliment each other well and have great system
synergy.  That means EVERYTHING to me!!

It seemed as if the Alpha Dogs will play well with others.  That's an impression I got, and thankfully I got
to hear them on familiar equipment (the Burson Conductor) so I could feel comfortable judging the cans.

I don't see why they shouldn't play well. They both go for the same clear neutral sound and hopefully the M8 has enough juice for orthos.

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #339 of 1,326
Quote:
We have standard wifi at our offices. No interference so far.

That's good to know. Your brainchild seems more and more attractive.

Another question: do you consider maybe including coaxial S/PDIF input as an option? Maybe later on? There's a few great sources out there, like FiiO X3 and the upcoming DX50 that do lossless, gapless and 24/192 but don't have TOSLINK or USB-OTG, and it would be pretty neat to do everything with as little gear as possible.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #340 of 1,326
+1 on the Alpha Dogs.  Also listened to them at CAS fed by Burson Conductor.  As I have a Burson HA160DS, am familiar with Burson sound.
Alpha Dogs had BIG dynamic range, I would call them smooth from bottom to top, impressively controlled bass given they are closed.
Found isolation to be excellent.  My wife has bat-ears so I can't use any cans that leak.  Only use IEM's in bed.  Have Ultrasone HFi 780 and Shure SRH840.
Yes the Alpha's are twice the price but the SQ is in a whole 'nother league.  Saving up to get a pair.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #341 of 1,326
Quote:
+1 on the Alpha Dogs.  Also listened to them at CAS fed by Burson Conductor.  As I have a Burson HA160DS, am familiar with Burson sound.
Alpha Dogs had BIG dynamic range, I would call them smooth from bottom to top, impressively controlled bass given they are closed.
Found isolation to be excellent.  My wife has bat-ears so I can't use any cans that leak.  Only use IEM's in bed.  Have Ultrasone HFi 780 and Shure SRH840.
Yes the Alpha's are twice the price but the SQ is in a whole 'nother league.  Saving up to get a pair.

Agreed.  I was never a fan of the HFI780, though I tried real hard to be, and spent a bunch of time modding a pair.  There's 2 or 3 threads of my project HFI780's floating around a few years back in head-fi history.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #342 of 1,326
Just got an update from Kenny saying that mine won't ship until Nov...

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #344 of 1,326
Just a general house cleaning post.

The two Hifi-m8 threads are getting a bit blurred of late, and that makes my collating of information for the FAQs etc a bit more difficult.

I am not without guilt in the mixing of the planes either.:wink:

Your assistance is appreciated.
Regards.

a6e3e3y3.jpg

*i used a pic so it would get buried in the many text posts.

Aug 23, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #345 of 1,326

My wife also have an iPhone 5' so I used hers for a bit and was unable to produce the interference. So at that point I started to think something must be wrong with my iphone. As a last resort, I deleted the app I had been using, and the interference never came back. So it seems that was the culprit. I guess it must be interfering with the phone's radio some kind of way. So I guess there's no need to send it back for testing now. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back