Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Aug 26, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #362 of 1,326
Quote:
Please watch Jude's video -- he managed to get DSD playback from AK, no problem.

Another brain fart, as I just watched it this morning...

p.s. thanks for your hard work.

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #364 of 1,326
Quote:

Isn't the AK120 the one converting to PCM in realtime from DSD, and the HIFI-M8 is just reading the PCM stream?

You are right, I keep thinking that the M8 is doing the DSD decoding.

p.s. 1500!!! Oh yes!

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #366 of 1,326
Originally I plan to pair the M8 4XL with the HD800, but lately I have been leaning towards getting the Alpha Dog with the 4 pin XLR instead.  I am pretty sure one of you has this combo, and it will be great if someone can get me feedback on this.

Aug 27, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #368 of 1,326
Quote:
Video review of the various hifi-m8s by Jude of head-fi

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJMqRecJG9U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQJMqRecJG9U

I will embed properly later.

*video is also properly posted by Jude on the main hifi-m8 thread and will showcase in head-fi soon.

Posted on the first OP, and also again here for the odd browser as I am sure all the Hifi-M8 fans have already seen it.

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #369 of 1,326
Originally I plan to pair the M8 4XL with the HD800, but lately I have been leaning towards getting the Alpha Dog with the 4 pin XLR instead.  I am pretty sure one of you has this combo, and it will be great if someone can get me feedback on this.

Only review units of the Alpha Dog until some time in September.

EDIT - Mine is to arrive Friday at noon according to FEDEX. I will be able to report back on HIFI-M8 iDevice 4XLR paired with the Mad Dog 3.2 Balanced, and with the HD650 Balanced. Give me until October or so, and I'll be able to report back on the Alpha Dogs paired with it - I plan to upgrade my MD's during September.

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #370 of 1,326
Quote:
Only review units of the Alpha Dog until some time in September.

EDIT - Mine is to arrive Friday at noon according to FEDEX. I will be able to report back on HIFI-M8 iDevice 4XLR paired with the Mad Dog 3.2 Balanced, and with the HD650 Balanced. Give me until October or so, and I'll be able to report back on the Alpha Dogs paired with it - I plan to upgrade my MD's during September.

I'm BUMPIN my Mad Dogs (latest version) via balanced out of the HiFi-M8 right now and I'm stunned into submission
I'm using it in this configuration (because I have to charge the battery):

MacBook Pro SSD/Amarra - HiFi-M8 - Mad Dogs or Audeze LCD3 balanced

I posted something similar in the HiFi-M8 Thread:

ALL technical jargon aside: This thing is a BEAST!!!!

I mean that dynamically.  It has such a wonderfully dark and airy backdrop that the midrange clarity maybe wholly unmatched in this category
(portable DAC/hphone amps), at least to my ears.  I'm rockin Alix Perez Chroma Chords album (if you need some truly deep bass and an album
to get your head-knockin' - check it out, review HERE) and many portable systems just fall apart musically when it comes to the low end extension
they managed to get outta this record.

NOT the HiFi-M8!  I'm playing the record and listening via my LCD3's, and there's PLENTY of headroom!!
The bass response is clean and coherent, authoritative, but controlled.  Too many products have such loose bass, it's all over the soundstage.
NOT HERE: It's focused, allowing for fantastic dimensionality amongst the rest of the frequency spectrum.  There's space between sounds, and
everything is there.  I just went from a multi-thousand dollar rig to this, and I don't feel like I'm missing anything!  As a matter of fact, I'm re-energized!

I referred to the midrange earlier in this post - but I find this is where CEntrance just out-classes many others:
Midrange sparkle factor.  It's so engaging that I wish I could KILL ALL PLANS FOR THE DAY AND JUST LISTEN!!

and that's the mark of a great stereo component: It connects you to the music.  It gets out of its own way, and you forget about technicalities.
It's just you and the music.  That's what I'm experiencing with the HiFi-M8 RIGHT NOW, out-of-the-box.

I haven't experienced this kind of pure joy since I got my E.A.R!  If this only gets better, and I'm sure it will, then I have my pick for
component of the year thus far.  It has me glued to my rig, listening to all sorts of stuff.  I smell a Writers Choice Award at PFO!!

I have to post some formal impressions after living with it for awhile, but given the rig I've been listening to for the last three weeks:

MacBook Pro SSD / Amarra
MYTEK Stereo-192 DSD DAC
E.A.R HP4 tube headphone amp

I can say that my expectations were BLOWN TO PIECES - and I had VERY high expectations.  Now I know anybody should take some time
with their impressions.  At 38 years old, I've been doing this 20 years.  Usually I can tell if I'm going to like something pretty fast.

I love this product, and considering that I can take it with me, well...
It seemed a little big to me, even when Michael first thought it up.  Now??

I could give a S___ about its larger size.  I get to bring this to RMAF, and don't need anything else except my cans????
What an exciting time for our hobby.  Yeah can't WAIT to hear my Alpha Dogs with this!

BIG THUMBS UP THUS FAR

Aug 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #372 of 1,326
Quote:
^^^Consider me green for the next 3-1/2 days. Also consider me excited by your review. Did you go iDevice or LX version?

I went iDevice, and I was having such a good time with it I was late to my doctors appt - but I still brought it with me
for the waiting room:

It's also a killer mate for the Mad Dogs.

I played it for my doctor (in his late fifties maybe, went to Oxford and is all button-down and s__) and he said
"holy ****, it's like being in the studio with them" - I chose The Police's "Can't Stand Losing You" for him because
I knew he was a big Police fan.

It's excited me enough where I'm evangelizing without thinkin' about it!

This is a new class of product in the portable DAC/Hphone Amp category as far as I'm concerned.  
I mean, I've been listening to my main reference system for 3 weeks solid, as we've been working on the new house
more often than not - and listening to the HiFi-M8 (doing it now, back w/ my MacBook Pro/Amarra as source) is exciting.
I'm seeking out tracks to play, and I've messed around with all the settings, but having them all is not as geekily distracting
as I thought they MIGHT be!!

Havin FUN

Aug 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #373 of 1,326
Glad you are enjoying it, I have been rather mute on my overall impressions as I was waiting for others to receive theirs.

(Didnt want to wax lyrical on my own on its stellar performance and it might have seemed suspect).

But yes, its a wonderful device!

Aug 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #374 of 1,326
Well first of all congrats on receiving it. And you have said pretty much everything I've been saying for weeks now(better worded of course :) ). So now at least I know I'm not crazy lol. This thing really is that good. After owning if for a while now, it's still hard to wrap my head around the fact this thing sounds this good, and it fits in the palm of your hands. Astonishing!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #375 of 1,326
Quote:
Well first of all congrats on receiving it. And you have said pretty much everything I've been saying for weeks now(better worded of course :) ). So now at least I know I'm not crazy lol. This thing really is that good. After owning if for a while now, it's still hard to wrap my head around the fact this thing sounds this good, and it fits in the palm of your hands. Astonishing!!

that's the PERFECT word for it: Astonishing!  

It's infectious - my wifey has lost me to it for the last 24 hours!

and it's only getting better.  I'm tossing more cans at it to really test its ability to play well with others.
I haven't found a headphone it doesn't like yet!

Liquid, airy, punchy, all the buzzwords we LOVE.

Tip of the hat!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back