Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #346 of 1,326
Quote:
My wife also have an iPhone 5' so I used hers for a bit and was unable to produce the interference. So at that point I started to think something must be wrong with my iphone. As a last resort, I deleted the app I had been using, and the interference never came back. So it seems that was the culprit. I guess it must be interfering with the phone's radio some kind of way. So I guess there's no need to send it back for testing now. Thanks.

Wow. an App was causing radio interference?   I tried to find your earlier postings, only saw that "ipeng" app named....
but that you also tried the "stock Apple player" which also caused interference.
could you explain what App you ended up deleting (ipeng?) so myself (and others) stay far away from it in the future?
Thanks if so.

to confirm:  with that  App deleted, there is no interference in the stock Apple player on the iPhone5 now either?
weird.

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #347 of 1,326
Quote:

Wow. an App was causing radio interference?   I tried to find your earlier postings, only saw that "ipeng" app named....
but that you also tried the "stock Apple player" which also caused interference.
could you explain what App you ended up deleting (ipeng?) so myself (and others) stay far away from it in the future?
Thanks if so.

to confirm:  with that  App deleted, there is no interference in the stock Apple player on the iPhone5 now either?
weird.

I find it so strange that radio interference would even come into play here.
But I'm glad you're all sharing about it now so I know what app to avoid!!

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #348 of 1,326
Quote:
That's good to know. Your brainchild seems more and more attractive.

Another question: do you consider maybe including coaxial S/PDIF input as an option? Maybe later on? There's a few great sources out there, like FiiO X3 and the upcoming DX50 that do lossless, gapless and 24/192 but don't have TOSLINK or USB-OTG, and it would be pretty neat to do everything with as little gear as possible.

We are considering it, but this product is done. We cannot change it anymore. We are on to something completely different now :)

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #349 of 1,326
Quote:
My wife also have an iPhone 5' so I used hers for a bit and was unable to produce the interference. So at that point I started to think something must be wrong with my iphone. As a last resort, I deleted the app I had been using, and the interference never came back. So it seems that was the culprit. I guess it must be interfering with the phone's radio some kind of way. So I guess there's no need to send it back for testing now. Thanks.

Wow. Thanks for that! Care to name the app so people are forewarned? I don't want to blame the app, but just give people a quick troubleshooting idea if this comes up again.

Ha-ha. Wrote that and realized others are asking for the same thing. 

With this case of interference being solved, we are officially CLEAN on the interference front. There are no other documented, repeatable cases out there in the beta-test community. Good news!

Aug 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #351 of 1,326
Quote:
Wow. Thanks for that! Care to name the app so people are forewarned? I don't want to blame the app, but just give people a quick troubleshooting idea if this comes up again.

Ha-ha. Wrote that and realized others are asking for the same thing. 

With this case of interference being solved, we are officially CLEAN on the interference front. There are no other documented, repeatable cases out there in the beta-test community. Good news!

That is good news indeed!

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #352 of 1,326
Yes, the app was ipeng which is a bummer. It's a squeezebox touch app, but have added features to let you use the iphone/ipad itself as a squeezebox client. With it, I can stream lossless flac directly from my nas to either my ipad or iphone whether I'm inside of my own network at home or away from home over 4g/lte. I can even use it to play files on my ipad while using my iphone as a remote. I've been loving it which is why I'm so sad about the interference issues it cause which is very strange itself.

I did get some interference with the stock player app, but that was while ipeng was running in the background. So even if I wasn't using it to playback files, the fact that it was still running in the background still causes the interference. The interference wasn't constant, it would come and go. But I would get it every time I used it. Hopefully future updates will solve this. I really hope so. But in the meantime, I can still use it with my ipad. I never had any issues with the m8 and ipeng running on it.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #353 of 1,326
Also keep in mind I wasn't playing back files stored on my iphone which it does allow you to do. So maybe it has to with streaming over wifi or the cellular network. I have another app(8player) that allows you to stream from a nas via dlna. Since logitech media server also acts as a dlna server as well, I will experiment with it to see if I get the same interference. If not, then it will be something limited to the ipeng app.

Aug 26, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #354 of 1,326
Well I after using 8player in the same fashion as ipeng, it's definitely not the streaming that was causing the interference. I had no interference at all using 8player as a client and logitech media server on the front end streaming flac. So the ploblem is with the ipeng software itself. So if anyone one wants to use their iphone to stream from a nas server I can verify 8player is a go, not so much for ipeng :frowning2:

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #355 of 1,326
Quote:
We are considering it, but this product is done. We cannot change it anymore. We are on to something completely different now :)

Care to give a clue sir? Watching the M8 evolve was really fun for me. Planning to get one come Christmas time or thereabouts. 

Will you be giving this new brainchild the same treatment as the m8? i.e. sharing developments along the way and going the crowdsource route?

Aug 26, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #356 of 1,326
Quote:

Care to give a clue sir? Watching the M8 evolve was really fun for me. Planning to get one come Christmas time or thereabouts. 

Will you be giving this new brainchild the same treatment as the m8? i.e. sharing developments along the way and going the crowdsource route?

I think the clue is coming.
http://centrance.com/products/new/blog/2013/08/21/watch-head-fi-org-next-week/
popcorn.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #357 of 1,326
Video review of the various hifi-m8s by Jude of head-fi

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QJMqRecJG9U&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQJMqRecJG9U

I will embed properly later.

*video is also properly posted by Jude on the main hifi-m8 thread and will showcase in head-fi soon.

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #358 of 1,326

We will return to home audio right after we release something in the pro world, which has been on the boil for a while...

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #359 of 1,326
Well I after using 8player in the same fashion as ipeng, it's definitely not the streaming that was causing the interference. I had no interference at all using 8player as a client and logitech media server on the front end streaming flac. So the ploblem is with the ipeng software itself. So if anyone one wants to use their iphone to stream from a nas server I can verify 8player is a go, not so much for ipeng :frowning2:
Keep us in the loop please as you have been. This is very important info for all.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #360 of 1,326
Silly question: will the M8 does DSD in the future?  I am hoping yes because I really don't want to lose functionality when I switch from my VC SDT for my AK120.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back