Centrance Hifi-M8 and Hifi-M8 LX (8 versions!) impressions thread
May 9, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #16 of 1,326
Quote:
Anything in particular you want me to check or listen for?

On the CEntrance table:
  1. SQ vs DACmini on SE. 
  2. SQ vs DacPort on SE.
  3. SQ difference between LX and i model.

Quote: LX
additional stages of jitter cleanup and some other bells and whistles. It turned out to be more complex than we thought, so we cannot make it cheaper than M8.

1. Heat.
  2. Cable snugness. 

--
In addition, I think M8 has the potential to replace many low to mid-range DAC+AMP setups. Like how people moved from desktops to laptops for even home use, due to various reasons like smaller living space, I have a couple of stages in my life when I used portable DACs and Amps on my desktop. Space is a premium for many people. 
For example, at the moment I prefer to use my DacPort LX instead of my Audio-GD NFB-10SE to drive my speakers. The DacPort sounds better at this desk setup, though I recall at another location, the Audio-Gd was better... 

May 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 1,326
Expat, I'll bring my Solo -dB balanced to Rx Mk3. Feel free to borrow to compare to the M8. I'll bring my VentureCraft DD 12V 627SM too but Musica Acoustics needs the Apex Glacier for demo purposes so if you have another amp to pair with the DD, you're more than welcome to borrow that too.

If I have time I'd like to compare those two component stacks with the M8.

May 9, 2013 at 7:37 PM Post #18 of 1,326
Solo + amp comparison is difficult because there are so many variables depending on which amp one chooses to pair it with.

But of course we all want to see comparisons.

idevice DAC/Amps such as Solo, Fostex hp_p1, Sony PH1, Go Dap, Go DapX and Verza etc.

Also Daps such as Colorfly, AK100/RWAK100/stage2 etc, DX100, Tera Player and Hifiman etc etc:wink:

Hopefully the first page initial page/post is enough for people for now.
I will add to it over time with more details, pictures and information.

Anything that people recommend added to OP either post in thread or PM me, thanks. :)

*A few family members are ill atm so hopefully it all clears up so i can attend the Tokyo headphone show this Saturday on your guys behalf and get us some Hifi-m8 listening impressions.
Anything in particular you want me to check or listen for?

I would love to know how it sounds with CIEMs. I know there are all different type with different impedance and such, but I just wanted a rough gauge. I'm almost positive it will sound wonderful with my HE500s, but my JH5s are harder to get right with amps.

May 9, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #20 of 1,326
Sounds good. Keep em coming (suggestions).

The illness that has plagued my family (I dodged the bullet) seems to have passed so I am assuming all systems go!

I may also take other photos of the show to display in the main Fujiya Tokyo Headphone show thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660027/tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-may-2013/30#post_9420958
Anakchan and others usually take many great photos.

May 10, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #21 of 1,326

The illness that has plagued my family (I dodged the bullet) seems to have passed so I am assuming all systems go!

I may also take other photos of the show to display in the main Fujiya Tokyo Headphone show thread
http://www.head-fi.org/t/660027/tokyo-fujiya-avic-spring-may-2013/30#post_9420958

Glad to hear any sickness has passed!

I look forward to all reports from the show, but regarding the M8:

- Of course, general SQ with CIEM's and vs. DACmini as already requested.

- How the unit works running various music player apps, EQ and/or streaming apps (Mog for example) with an iPod touch.

-Impressions of the tone shaping ability and how that sounds with full cans as well as CIEM's.

Thanks Expat! Lucky you! :wink:

May 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #22 of 1,326
Quote:

Glad to hear everyone is alright.

I'm very excited to hear how the unit sounds. I'm trying to put it out of my head for the most part, hoping that June will get here faster that way.

I keep wanting to buy some nicer cables for my headphones to pair with the M8. Luckily I have resisted that urge thus far.

May 11, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #23 of 1,326
Met Michael and Stacie today at Tokyo Headphone Show.

I tried out the three models and was pleased with what I heard, although I dont think I have the best ears as others perhaps do.

I tried them out with my ATH-ESW9 and Triple Fi10 and iphone4, gain set at 1 and 1ohm.

ATH-ESW9
Gain 1 , 1ohm.
Clarity and clear.
More `warmth` when set at 10ohm.
The sound stayed more smoother at higher volumes than on my Fostex hp_p1.
Flacplayer app worked with no problems.
Bass and treble hardware settings are nice, subtle and gradual, not overly done. Bass change is more subtle than the treble switch.
USB LOD cable is snug and a good fit.
It gets a bit warm when in use (it was also plugged into the AC power at the time).
I preferred them on gain2 (I dont like using gain2 on my Fostex as it loses details)- still sounded good, kept the clarity and details well.

Triple Fi10- smooth and clear, sounded as they should at 1ohm.

LCD(2?,3?)-single 4 pin XLR I am not familiar with these headphones. Gain 1 was just fine, Gain2 had more body.

T1 Beyerdynamic - Dual XLR. Clarity (the headphones natural sig I think), smooth. Gain 2 -beautiful.

The only `negative` feedback i had was that the volume bar on my iphone4 was still functioning which Michael said he would take care of in within the Hifi-m8 software.
My personal preference (which I didnt share with Michael on the day, sorry) is for it to be deactivated AND disappear altogether like on my portable amps, one irk of my Fostex hp_p1 is that visible volume bar.

Thanks again to Michael and Stacie for taking the time to spend with me today, I swear English is my first language! Unfortunately ten years of living in another country has degraded my conversational abilities :)
Looking forward to hearing the final version of the Hifi-m8 in the future, safe journey home.

May 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #24 of 1,326
@Michael.
Now I remember, this picture was posted a while back, and someone posted a clockwork orange picture.
I recall now who this photo reminded me of `Freddie Kruger-A nightmare on Elm Street` . Haha,....apologies. :wink:

Dont fall asleep listening to your Hifi-m8!

May 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 1,326
Quote:
On the CEntrance table:
  1. SQ vs DACmini on SE. 
  2. SQ vs DacPort on SE.
  3. SQ difference between LX and i model.

Sorry no DACmini or DACport was present.

*I couldnt tell any sound difference between the models.
But I did use different headphones for each model due to the different outputs. *Ugh, I could have used the adapter-expatinjapan fail!
Hmm, may not have thought that one through enough on reflection sorry.

May 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #27 of 1,326
Thanks to everyone who stopped by the CEntrance booth this weekend. I have many pictures to share and will do so soon via the blog. Thanks to exatinjapan for posting impressions!

May 11, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #28 of 1,326
Thanks Michael for the interesting chat about rubber bands! 
wink.gif

I had a quick listen to the M8 balanced to my Symphones Magnums. Very spacious sound and I didn't have any of that feeling like it was driving the headphones, which was an excellent sign. It reminds me very much of the Dac Mini I previously tried. The overall sound I felt was more towards "clear" and a bit "analytical" (noting here I'm very used to high-end digital gear so that's how the Dac Mini sounds to me in comparison). The bass boost was gentle and not over-done. I didn't try the LCD-2s. 

May 13, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #29 of 1,326
First of all, I want to thank Michael and Stacie for their great exhibit and hospitality.

I only had a brief listen to the Hifi-M8 due to the "serious discussion about social psychology" we had at the booth
tongue_smile.gif

I tried the 4pin XLR model with my iPhone 5 and got the impression that the sound signature is closer to the DACmini rather than the DACport.
Single-end sounded clean, detailed and spacious just like you'd expect from a CEntrance product with that pitch-black background.
Balanced, the sound got even more spacious and powerful but the overall sound signature didn't show any drastic changes.
The bass boost wasn't overdone and I couldn't hear any impact on the mids and highs.
The units were pretty warm as mentioned by Michael so it might not be my favorite amp to carry around in the summer.

When I get my unit, I'll do a side-by-side comparison with the DACmini and DACport.
For now, I just can't wait to get one.

May 13, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #30 of 1,326
Finally got an email from CEntrance and I am on the pre-order list. Looking forward to some more early impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back