CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jan 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #662 of 1,412

Quote:
I succumbed (willingly) and purchased a DACmini CX directly from CEntrance with the 1-ohm mod yesterday. 

Happy listening and sorry for your wallet 
smile.gif
, althought I believe DACmini has higher than average perfomance-to-price ratio. 

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #663 of 1,412
Thank you for following up on this matter Jay. Much appreciated. I'll pm you for the follow up.

Quote:
Hi Twinster,

We go thru alot to hand test every product we sell. This this is true for both individual parts and retesting fully assembled products. Our warranty covers all products shipped from our facilities just outside of Chicago, as well as all CEntrance Authorized dealers worldwide. When you buy from us or from one of our authorized partners we have a means of assuring quality. When you make a 2nd hand purchase (on a forum/ebay/etc) we cannot assure this level of quality. Our warranty is given to all of our customers who purchase new products. It is impossible for us to maintain this level of quality assurance from a non-authorized 3rd party selling a used piece of equipment.

Hope this helps explain the rationale behind our policy. I'm also going to send you a subsequent PM so we can hopefully resolve the pot issue.

-Jay
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #664 of 1,412
I've just verified my DACmini with full size headphone and I cannot hear any static noise. I put my IEM back ( UE700 40 ohms 113db ) and can ear the noise while music on pause. Try my O2 amplifier and got a black background. Not bad for $100. 
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #666 of 1,412
Any thoughts on the O2 amp vs. DACmini's? Is one an upgrade to the other or just a different flavor?

This please.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #667 of 1,412
I will went I have more time. I'm busy at work these days.

I did a quick A/B this week for about 10 minutes but I was focusing on the headphone not the amp but I can say that the O2 was not disappointing. One think for sure is the amazing black/silent background. No noise at all. Even at full volume with sensitive IEM. I also believe the bass impact was a bit better on the DACmini. Both amplifier are very clean & detail.

That's it for now guys. I'll try to do a more in depth but I'm not very good with the audiophile lingo/jargon. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Any thoughts on the O2 amp vs. DACmini's? Is one an upgrade to the other or just a different flavor?

Quote:
This please.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #669 of 1,412
I have been listening to the LCD-2 and Dacmini all week and they pair great like others have said in the past. The Dacmini has plenty of juice at low impedance and the neutral sound signature is perfect for the LCD-2.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #670 of 1,412
I too have the noisy volume pot... The kind fellows at Centrance told me to send it in to get fixed, but I just haven't had the time (I use the unit for work in an audio facility)... and I don't really want to part with it, because it RULES. I'm using it to drive LCD-2r2s, and wow.... what a lovely combo. I -LOVE- listening to music on this combo.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #671 of 1,412

Quote:
I too have the noisy volume pot... The kind fellows at Centrance told me to send it in to get fixed, but I just haven't had the time (I use the unit for work in an audio facility)... and I don't really want to part with it, because it RULES. I'm using it to drive LCD-2r2s, and wow.... what a lovely combo. I -LOVE- listening to music on this combo.

1 Ohm mod or not?

I always have to ask, as I'm wondering if it's the next thing I should do.

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #672 of 1,412

Quote:
1 Ohm mod or not?

I always have to ask, as I'm wondering if it's the next thing I should do.

With orthos I do not think it really matters. Orthos principle of operation makes them immune to damping factor and frequency responce  variations due to amp impedance output. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #674 of 1,412

Quote:
Has someone tried the LCD-3 with the DACmini ? How's the synergy ?

Thank you

Patrick

I sold my LCD-3 last week, so can't give you a very precise description now. The sound was pretty good, except that the soundstage is a bit closed in. And I need to crank up the volume quite a bit to reach normal listening level. 

When I still had my Lyr, with proper tubes like the Valvo CCa or the Amperex 7308 that I had, the Lyr powers the LCD-3 with a degree of authority and power that is noticeably better than the DACmini. As for finesse, can't say for sure, somehow the sound of the pairing doesn't wow me, so I have moved on to some cheap Stax. Perhaps the sound of the headphone isn't for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back