CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Dec 30, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #648 of 1,412

Quote:
It seems that our small DACmini gets quite attention lately. Another review (on page 52) with a Publisher's Choice Award (on page 206) for 2011:

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_042.pdf

Only one note: The reviewer states that replacing the external switching power supply was beneficial and that 'It’s always a great idea to keep such little switching power supplies away from your audio gear, and adding the clean power ... enhances the listening experiences.' 
BUT the DACmini uses anyway an internal switching power supply. Even if you upgrade the external one to a non-switching one, the internal one still remains and will chop the pristine clear power anyway.

true, haha i would say its worth a shot though!

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #649 of 1,412
My O2 amp with the LX DAC, are giving me great soundstage with my HE-500, I can't put my finger on it, but everything sounds more natural and cleaner, no excess or emphasize on anything, thank you Centrance

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #650 of 1,412
I'm very interested to hear the answer to this as well.  In particular, I'm curious whether the 1-Ohm mod on the DACmini will benefit the performance of the Ultrasone Edition 8, which are 30 ohm impedance headphones.  I'm also curious how much it helps with IEMs like the Shure SE530 and UE Triple.Fi.  I know this has been discussed in spurts earlier in this thread, but has anyone had an opportunity yet to do some more definitive comparisons?

Thanks!

Quote:
For those who got it, has anyone *not* like the 1-Ohm mod for DACmini?

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #651 of 1,412
I own a 1 ohm DACmini and like it alot. I never heard the regular DACmini but I have a DACport and my Magnum Bass is very solid out of the DACmini. Much punchier and detail. I have not tried any of my earphone with the DACmini but I will try to do it this weekend and report back. I have the Shure e500 (equivalent of the SE530 I believed) Ortofon eQ5 and Klipsch X10. 

Quote:
I'm very interested to hear the answer to this as well.  In particular, I'm curious whether the 1-Ohm mod on the DACmini will benefit the performance of the Ultrasone Edition 8, which are 30 ohm impedance headphones.  I'm also curious how much it helps with IEMs like the Shure SE530 and UE Triple.Fi.  I know this has been discussed in spurts earlier in this thread, but has anyone had an opportunity yet to do some more definitive comparisons?

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #652 of 1,412
That's great, Twinster, thanks!  I look forward to your thoughts, as, I'm sure, do others.

Quote:
I own a 1 ohm DACmini and like it alot. I never heard the regular DACmini but I have a DACport and my Magnum Bass is very solid out of the DACmini. Much punchier and detail. I have not tried any of my earphone with the DACmini but I will try to do it this weekend and report back. I have the Shure e500 (equivalent of the SE530 I believed) Ortofon eQ5 and Klipsch X10. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #653 of 1,412

As promise here is a mini review of two of my IEM with the DACmini. Please bare with me because I'm not very good with reviews. My audiophile vocabulary is very limited.

Shure E500 (ES530)
- Moving the volume knob I can ear some static noise
- Normal volume level the pot is between 8 & 9 o'clock
- The Shure retain is characteristic with rolled off hi, amazing mid's and well define and controlled bass notes.

Ortofon eQ5
- Moving the volume knob also generate a static noise.
- Volume level is the same as the Shure between 8 & 9.
- The eQ5 get way better hi's. They are balanced and retain their great sound signature with the DACmini. Great level of details and the stage is very good.
- The low frequencies are perfect to me with good impact and definition.

Songs used for mini review:
Lazarus - Porcupine Tree
Reckoner - Radiohead ( I love the beginning of this song )
Una Notte A Napoli - Pink Martini
Nocturne/ Bohemian Rhapsody - Lucia Micarelli
Le Temp Des Cathédrales - Bruno Pelletier
Sail - Awolnation ( The bass is just great on this track )
Quote:
That's great, Twinster, thanks!  I look forward to your thoughts, as, I'm sure, do others.

Jan 23, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #654 of 1,412
Very cool.  Thanks for your thoughts, Twinster, and for taking the time to form them.

Is the static associated with turning the volume pot expected behavior?

Quote:
As promise here is a mini review of two of my IEM with the DACmini. Please bare with me because I'm not very good with reviews. My audiophile vocabulary is very limited.

Shure E500 (ES530)
- Moving the volume knob I can ear some static noise
- Normal volume level the pot is between 8 & 9 o'clock
- The Shure retain is characteristic with rolled off hi, amazing mid's and well define and controlled bass notes.

Ortofon eQ5
- Moving the volume knob also generate a static noise.
- Volume level is the same as the Shure between 8 & 9.
- The eQ5 get way better hi's. They are balanced and retain their great sound signature with the DACmini. Great level of details and the stage is very good.
- The low frequencies are perfect to me with good impact and definition.

Songs used for mini review:
Lazarus - Porcupine Tree
Reckoner - Radiohead ( I love the beginning of this song )
Una Notte A Napoli - Pink Martini
Nocturne/ Bohemian Rhapsody - Lucia Micarelli
Le Temp Des Cathédrales - Bruno Pelletier
Sail - Awolnation ( The bass is just great on this track )

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:43 AM Post #655 of 1,412
No problem.  I never notice the static noise with my other headphones but I will make sure I try it tonight. I didn't ear any noise while the music was playing.

Quote:
Very cool.  Thanks for your thoughts, Twinster, and for taking the time to form them.

Is the static associated with turning the volume pot expected behavior?

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #656 of 1,412
You might have a defective unit.

I was having static issues with my volume knob as well, so I sent it back to CEntrance and had it fixed.

No problems at all since then.

Jan 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #657 of 1,412
Good to know. I forgot to check last night if it was doing the same noise with my full size headphone. My only problem is that I bought my DACmini from someone here on the forum and found out after that the warranty was not transferable. 
mad.gif

I own both the DACmini & DACport but cannot get any support from Centrance. I was very disappointed to find that out. I think every manufacture should allow warranty transfer of their product. I do not understand the rational behind that.

If Centrance can explain  this to me it would be great. (anyone listening/reading from Centrance??) 
confused_face_2.gif

Quote:
You might have a defective unit.

I was having static issues with my volume knob as well, so I sent it back to CEntrance and had it fixed.

No problems at all since then.

Jan 26, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #658 of 1,412
I thought it was only an issue with one of headphones but noticed it was present with everyone of them, though fainter on some.

I'd contact the account here for CEntrance about the problem.

Jan 26, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #659 of 1,412
Hi Twinster,

We go thru alot to hand test every product we sell. This this is true for both individual parts and retesting fully assembled products. Our warranty covers all products shipped from our facilities just outside of Chicago, as well as all CEntrance Authorized dealers worldwide. When you buy from us or from one of our authorized partners we have a means of assuring quality. When you make a 2nd hand purchase (on a forum/ebay/etc) we cannot assure this level of quality. Our warranty is given to all of our customers who purchase new products. It is impossible for us to maintain this level of quality assurance from a non-authorized 3rd party selling a used piece of equipment.

Hope this helps explain the rationale behind our policy. I'm also going to send you a subsequent PM so we can hopefully resolve the pot issue.

-Jay
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back