CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Dec 13, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #616 of 1,412

Quote:
No it would not be a waste. Even if you only use the DAC from the DACmini it offers more flexibility with more input ports compare to the DACport. And the amplifier section is pretty good too.

Quote:

The amp section is transparent and powerful.  Very clean and punchy for a solid state, but doesn't have that "color" of the tubes which is why I picked it up.

I wouldn't buy the mini for only the DAC though, seems like a waste considering the amount of options the device gives you.

kay thx for the advice. ill just grab dacport LX then, since bifrost havent been release yet in where i do live right now. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #617 of 1,412

Quote:
Quote:

kay thx for the advice. ill just grab dacport LX then, since bifrost havent been release yet in where i do live right now. 

Hope you enjoy your LX, as it will be my next purchase (was considering the Bifrost) but the ability to use it in my work and home is a big factor in my decision.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #618 of 1,412

Quote:
does anyone know how these pair with the he500?

Pairs very nicely.  I brought the DACmini to RMAF and displayed it with the HE-500 and LCD-2.  The HE-500 sounded similar to the Stax Lambda Nova Signature on the KGSS amp I brought, but HE-500 were slightly better with more control and clarity in the bass (LNS are a little sloppy in comparison).

Dec 14, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #619 of 1,412

Quote:
Pairs very nicely.  I brought the DACmini to RMAF and displayed it with the HE-500 and LCD-2.  The HE-500 sounded similar to the Stax Lambda Nova Signature on the KGSS amp I brought, but HE-500 were slightly better with more control and clarity in the bass (LNS are a little sloppy in comparison).

Although LNS are not one of the top of the line Stax headphones available now, this result speaks a lot for the quality of the DACmini & HE-500 combination. Thank you for this!
Were you using DACmini's DAC section for KGSS's source?

Dec 14, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #621 of 1,412

Quote:

The amp section is transparent and powerful.  Very clean and punchy for a solid state, but doesn't have that "color" of the tubes which is why I picked it up.

Based on this statement, can I assume that amplifier section would match/exceed an older Gilmore Lite? I love the way my GL sounds but I cant seem to find a DAC that I like with it... If I could get an all-in-one solution like the mini, I could clear up space on my desk too. I just dont want to lose the clarity of the GL.

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #622 of 1,412

Quote:
damn i finally got home with DACmini... the sound so much better with graham slee solo SRG II. still listening to it right now

Congrats and enjoy your new toy! 
Please, if it is possible, I would like a small comparison between DACmini's amp section and SRG II.

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #625 of 1,412

Quote:
do any of u guys know how the dac section compares to the bifrost?

I'm not sure the biFrost has been out long enough for someone to own both.

I can say this though, the DACmini in general is more versatile as audio unit, but this means nothing to you if you're looking for a particular sound.

If you want transparent with a slight tilt of warmth (slight), I'd take the DACmini.  Not sure what to expect from the Bifrost though.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #629 of 1,412

Users who are viewing this thread

Back