CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Dec 19, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #632 of 1,412

Quote:

I believe there was a discussion about this a few pages back and the answer was no due to the DACmini handling power duties internally.

I could be wrong though.

Yes, you are right. CEntrance uses a wall power adaptor. CEntrance states that any wall type power supply can be used with no detrimental effects, just make sure it has the necessary power specs (9-19VDC 1A, if I remember correctly).  

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #633 of 1,412

Quote:
Quote:

I believe there was a discussion about this a few pages back and the answer was no due to the DACmini handling power duties internally.

I could be wrong though.

Yes, you are right. CEntrance uses a wall power adaptor. CEntrance states that any wall type power supply can be used with no detrimental effects, just make sure it has the necessary power specs (9-19VDC 1A, if I remember correctly).  

oh ok thanks guys! was wondering if a change in cables would improve the sound greatly like how ppl have liked the improvements when they changed the power cable for the burson... guess not 

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #634 of 1,412
From the stereophile measurement conclusion, "Although its measured performance includes some idiosyncrasies, the CEntrance DACmini CX is, overall, a well-engineered component."

Could anyone explain to me about the idiosyncracies in the measurement?? I'm not really good at reading those graphs...

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #635 of 1,412

Quote:
From the stereophile measurement conclusion, "Although its measured performance includes some idiosyncrasies, the CEntrance DACmini CX is, overall, a well-engineered component."

Could anyone explain to me about the idiosyncracies in the measurement?? I'm not really good at reading those graphs...

I believe the answer lies in the following two paragraphs from the Stereophile measurement web page:

'Fig.1 shows the DACmini's frequency response tested via S/PDIF with data sampled at 44.1kHz (green and gray traces), 96kHz (cyan and magenta traces), and 192kHz (blue and red traces). As you can see, the expected increase in bandwidth from the 192kHz sampling is absent, the response being the same for 192kHz data as for 96kHz data. The DACmini uses an asynchronous sample-rate converter chip (an Analog Devices AD1896), so I suspect that, like the Benchmark DAC1, the DAC chip is fed data at a fixed rate that, although sufficient for 96kHz data, is less than 192kHz.'

'However, this graph was taken with the DACmini driven by the AP SYS2722's digital output, which has very low jitter. Repeating the test using the same 15' length of plastic TosLink, but from the RME soundcard fitted to the PC in which the Miller Analyzer resides, increased the level of the sidebands at ±229Hz to give an estimated jitter of 440 picoseconds. Though this is still low in absolute terms, the difference in measured jitter between the Audio Precision and RME sources suggests that the DACmini does have some sensitivity to the source in use via S/PDIF.'

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #636 of 1,412
For me, after market AC cable does improof the sound from DACmini.

I compared between cheap AC cable VS Monster powerline 300 which has very good dynamic.
I say improofment around 10-15 percent. 
Better focus, fuller bass, better dynamic.

During comparison I listened to PS1000 which can reveal all the change in system.

Quote:
does anyone know if an aftermarket ac cable would improve performance?

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #637 of 1,412

Quote:

I compared between cheap AC cable VS Monster powerline 300 which has very good dynamic.

During comparison I listened to PS1000 which can reveal all the change in system.

Can you please explain where do you used it?
Does the power supply of DACmini has a IEC C14 male connector (with a detachable power cord)?
I have the travel option and it is just a wall type of PSU, with no power cord.

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #638 of 1,412

Quote:

Quote:
does anyone know if an aftermarket ac cable would improve performance?

thats interesting! maybe i can go down to the shops one of these days and see if they will lend me any cables to try:)

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #639 of 1,412
@ plin and Jojomite

In DACmini's package, there is external external 19V DC adaptor with male IEC C14 which you can connect aftermarket AC cable to the wall's receptacle (mind is wattgate 381 gold).

Try AC cable at least 200-400 USD price range, and let us know the result.

One other thing my Monster powerline 300 performed its best at 300-400 hrs of usage (after burn in period, the sound has less grainy, improof dynamic).

Dec 20, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #640 of 1,412
popcorn.gif
 here we go again...

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #644 of 1,412

Quote:
Although LNS are not one of the top of the line Stax headphones available now, this result speaks a lot for the quality of the DACmini & HE-500 combination. Thank you for this!
Were you using DACmini's DAC section for KGSS's source?

I was using an Apogee mini-DAC via coax with a Nuforce CDP-8, and feeding the Apogee balanced output into the KGSS and the single ended output into the DACmini - so they both used the same source at the same time.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #645 of 1,412
It seems that our small DACmini gets quite attention lately. Another review (on page 52) with a Publisher's Choice Award (on page 206) for 2011:

http://www.tonepublications.com/MAGPDF/TA_042.pdf

Only one note: The reviewer states that replacing the external switching power supply was beneficial and that 'It’s always a great idea to keep such little switching power supplies away from your audio gear, and adding the clean power ... enhances the listening experiences.' 
BUT the DACmini uses anyway an internal switching power supply. Even if you upgrade the external one to a non-switching one, the internal one still remains and will chop the pristine clear power anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back