CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Jun 26, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,397 of 1,412
DAC mini will be shipping soon. Here is a teaser:

does anyone have an update on the DacMini2? Their last email which talked about it just mentioned showing it off at High End Munich and CanJam Chicago, but both events have passed with no impressions posted about any samples they may have demoed - and the official Centrance website still doesn't list specs and claims to be shipping early 2023 :frowning2: i've loved the quality of my centrance products in the past, but this rollout has been very unsatisfying, as someone who pre-booked over a year now :frowning2:

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,398 of 1,412
does anyone have an update on the DacMini2? Their last email which talked about it just mentioned showing it off at High End Munich and CanJam Chicago, but both events have passed with no impressions posted about any samples they may have demoed - and the official Centrance website still doesn't list specs and claims to be shipping early 2023 :frowning2: i've loved the quality of my centrance products in the past, but this rollout has been very unsatisfying, as someone who pre-booked over a year now :frowning2:
Guys, thank you for your support. I have to confess it's been an interesting year with parts shortages on all fronts. We literally couldn't build anything and from what we know, this was a widespread issue, as many other companies were in the same boat. We ended up redesigning every single product to take advantage of existing parts and to replace the ones which were not available. That definitely threw a curveball our way and delayed the release of DACmini and Ampmini.

But fortunately that mad "save the company" effort is behind us and at this point I'm 100% back to DACmini and Amp mini. They are progressing very well. Chassis are finalized (they are quite complex - we made several rounds of changes) and now we are cleaning up the internal PCBs. Attaching a picture of the internals, to give you a sense of where my head is at currently. This just shows some earlier version, unpopulated PCBs inside the Amp mini chassis. We have populated PCBs on the test bench and are currently measuring 0.0015% THD at high power (Class A, this is better than any other product we have ever released).

So we definitely have progress and good news to report, despite the circumstances. And sorry about the delay. The supply chain challenge hit us like a brick, but everyone is alive and we are moving forward.

40CAC0DB-E827-4849-B16E-B997AA84A8B9.jpeg

8ADA185F-2AC7-40D7-90F3-DB6CCB2A4E37.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,399 of 1,412
Guys, thank you for your support. I have to confess it's been an interesting year with parts shortages on all fronts. We literally couldn't build anything and from what we know, this was a widespread issue, as many other companies were in the same boat. We ended up redesigning every single product to take advantage of existing parts and to replace the ones which were not available. That definitely threw a curveball our way and delayed the release of DACmini and Ampmini.

But fortunately that mad "save the company" effort is behind us and at this point I'm 100% back to DACmini and Amp mini. They are progressing very well. Chassis are finalized (they are quite complex - we made several rounds of changes) and now we are cleaning up the internal PCBs. Attaching a picture of the internals, to give you a sense of where my head is at currently. This just shows some earlier version, unpopulated PCBs inside the Amp mini chassis. We have populated PCBs on the test bench and are currently measuring 0.0015% THD at high power (Class A, this is better than any other product we have ever released).

So we definitely have progress and good news to report, despite the circumstances. And sorry about the delay. The supply chain challenge hit us like a brick, but everyone is alive and we are moving forward.

40CAC0DB-E827-4849-B16E-B997AA84A8B9.jpeg
8ADA185F-2AC7-40D7-90F3-DB6CCB2A4E37.jpeg
I'm glad to hear that things are moving forward and I'm sure it will be worth the wait - just saying it would have been nice to have more transparency about the delays/actual expected shipping date and timely updates rather than having to facebook-stalk or trawl the internet for info. If i had been depending on this purchase for use within the original quoted time frame, I wouldn't just be annoyed, I'd be furious. Can I at least ask have you finalized what DAC chip will be used for the production model? Will it have native support for DSD or only DOP? Will it support MQA (as several AKM chips do)?

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #1,400 of 1,412
I'm glad to hear that things are moving forward and I'm sure it will be worth the wait - just saying it would have been nice to have more transparency about the delays/actual expected shipping date and timely updates rather than having to facebook-stalk or trawl the internet for info. If i had been depending on this purchase for use within the original quoted time frame, I wouldn't just be annoyed, I'd be furious. Can I at least ask have you finalized what DAC chip will be used for the production model? Will it have native support for DSD or only DOP? Will it support MQA (as several AKM chips do)?
4493 is an amazing chip if used right. Very hard to beat. Especially if the whole product is powered by USB, which DACmini is. Many people are thrown by marketing distractions and don't realize that it's important to consider other elements in the audio chain, not just the DAC chip. We are a design firm with 150+ consulting clients so we are not fond of gimmicks. Yes on DSD.

MQA is lossy and bankrupt. Not in favor. Sorry to be blunt :wink:

Also sorry to be rather abrupt, running on low sleep, literally working around the clock, really want to finish the product. I'm as frustrated as you are (with the delays) and probably more. Again, very sorry about the delay, we will get it done this fall.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 8:29 AM Post #1,401 of 1,412
MIke/others - Hi

I have an original DacMini PX which I was thinking of dusting off and using again for an office headamp system. (At home I use a Holo Cyan). Is it fair to say the PX headamp is still up there as very good?

What about the DAC - these have come a long way in 10 years - as the PX had analog inputs which must bypass its internal DAC, am I better to feed it with a more modern DAC (eg a small Topping?) - would the difference be very noticeable to my 65 yo ears?
and what DAC would people here recommend in this situation both sonically and as a visual match ?

Thank You Vincent

Aug 5, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #1,402 of 1,412
MIke/others - Hi

I have an original DacMini PX which I was thinking of dusting off and using again for an office headamp system. (At home I use a Holo Cyan). Is it fair to say the PX headamp is still up there as very good?

What about the DAC - these have come a long way in 10 years - as the PX had analog inputs which must bypass its internal DAC, am I better to feed it with a more modern DAC (eg a small Topping?) - would the difference be very noticeable to my 65 yo ears?
and what DAC would people here recommend in this situation both sonically and as a visual match ?

Thank You Vincent
IMO, the original DACmini CX & PX are quite good. I still use a CX in one of my systems. I also previously owned a PX. I think its weak point was the power amp section, but I had no issue with its DAC or headphone amp. You could probably find a new DAC that has better technical specs, but I'm not sure it would sound noticeably better. And if you have headphones that are especially hard to drive, e.g. certain electrostatics or planar magnetics, you could find a higher power headphone amp. But for the vast majority of headphones in an office headphone system, the DACmini is still a fine choice.

Of course, upgrade-itis is a thing, and maybe it's just time to buy some new gear.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 1:31 AM Post #1,403 of 1,412
I have the PX and used to use it to drive my (OG) Hifiman HE-6 which are absolute power pigs.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #1,404 of 1,412
4493 is an amazing chip if used right. Very hard to beat. Especially if the whole product is powered by USB, which DACmini is. Many people are thrown by marketing distractions and don't realize that it's important to consider other elements in the audio chain, not just the DAC chip. We are a design firm with 150+ consulting clients so we are not fond of gimmicks. Yes on DSD.

MQA is lossy and bankrupt. Not in favor. Sorry to be blunt :wink:

Also sorry to be rather abrupt, running on low sleep, literally working around the clock, really want to finish the product. I'm as frustrated as you are (with the delays) and probably more. Again, very sorry about the delay, we will get it done this fall.
I could not find any spec on the headphone output. How powerful is it? - Dacmini2

Also please consider making the ampmini SS only

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,406 of 1,412
DACmini will have 1.4W total. Amp mini - 8 W total.

Sorry, could you tell me what SS stands for?
Thanks!

I meant Solid State. I like the mac mini design alot, but for travel it would be easier to pack in a backpack with no tubes sticking out😊

—-

I would love to see a non-battery headphone amp from centrance. I just ordered the DACPORT PRO😊👍

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #1,407 of 1,412
Thanks!

I meant Solid State. I like the mac mini design alot, but for travel it would be easier to pack in a backpack with no tubes sticking out😊

—-

I would love to see a non-battery headphone amp from centrance. I just ordered the DACPORT PRO😊👍
Thank you! For the non-battery headphone amp, are you thinking powered by usb or an external supply such as 12V etc?

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,408 of 1,412
Thank you! For the non-battery headphone amp, are you thinking powered by usb or an external supply such as 12V etc?
Both just no battery but very powerful as possible😁

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #1,409 of 1,412
Once again, looking for an update on DACMini shipping date? Last Facebook post about it was May, last mention in their email newsletter was early July - and since they planned to ship in Summer that doesn't seem likely now :p

I still hope this product turns out great, but they've had my money for over a year now interest free and I could have put that to good use in more than a few other areas during the unexpected wait! Frankly I don't know if I should ask for a refund or swop the preorder over to an Amp Mini, since that seems closer to real with all the banging on they are doing about the Green Class A power they are incorporating into it ...

Oct 1, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #1,410 of 1,412
Once again, looking for an update on DACMini shipping date? Last Facebook post about it was May, last mention in their email newsletter was early July - and since they planned to ship in Summer that doesn't seem likely now :p

I still hope this product turns out great, but they've had my money for over a year now interest free and I could have put that to good use in more than a few other areas during the unexpected wait! Frankly I don't know if I should ask for a refund or swop the preorder over to an Amp Mini, since that seems closer to real with all the banging on they are doing about the Green Class A power they are incorporating into it ...
Thank you for your inquiry and email.

Indeed, this has taken longer than anticipated. And while we may have been quiet it's not for lack of action. I plan to make a video about project progress tomorrow and announce via a mailer.

We have crowdfunded several products last year to help us weather the difficult period and we really appreciate that help. And we were busy. At this point, we have shipped all outstanding orders for MixerFace, PortCaster, MicPort Pro and as of this week - the English Channel. While you didn't order any of those products, it's important to point out that we are gradually paying down the debt to our customers and that means Amp mini and DAC mini are next in line.

So while we took on a significant amount of risk a year ago, the good news is the previously full plate is finally empty and we are fully focused on delivering the DACmini and the Amp mini. They use the same chassis and what separates us from building a large batch is the location of the last 4 screw holes - we are actually prototyping that this week. Once I know for sure that the holes match the intention (matching the PC boards to the chassis), we will be largely in the clear.

Amp mini is turning out to be a technological marvel. It will come out at about the same time and will make a lot of noise in the media. The internal, microprocessor-controlled Green Class A circuit is truly special.

We will work with existing customers and offer good discounts. Both products will retail for a lot more than what we charged the crowdfunding backers, if that's any consolation.

I know that waiting is not fun, so I just want to assure you that I've been working through holidays and weekends for the last 2 years to get this complete. Nothing is more important than the trust of our customers and we are on the home stretch now. This will get done soon.

And yes, the website needs to be updated. But that's not first priority at the moment.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back