CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Oct 29, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #1,366 of 1,412
  Rather than fiddling inside the dacmini, the easiest thing to do is build an adapter cable with some 10ohm resistors in-line.

Good point. Did some quick reading on output impedance, seems like increasing it actually emphasizes treble, so this would probably be a move in the wrong direction given the original problem. Curious if the original Centrance mod did more than just changing a resistor that is in series with the headphones, after all they do say that 10Ohm units sound warmer.

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #1,367 of 1,412
The warmer sound is usually attributed to impedance interaction with dynamic headphones which exhibit impedance humps in the midrange (classical example: Sennheiser HD598/HD600). There's a small effect on resolution due to lesser damping factor which may effect the treble range, but this is small compared to the midbass bloom.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #1,368 of 1,412
Thanks. I just find it a bit strange that I get his type of sound with my cans with so many happy CX owners out there. And while I generally like bright I get tired after 15 minutes listening through the CX. All Viso HP50 reviewers found them to be neutral sounding which is also my observation, at least when not using them with the DACMini. A bit puzzled by this, but I guess this wouldn't be the first time 2 otherwise fine pieces of gear don't work well with each other. I also have a Dacport Slim, it is easier to listen to but still the highs are still over-emphasized.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #1,369 of 1,412
Does anyone feel that the dacmini cx with 1 ohm HP mod is one of the few Single-Ended all-in-one setups that sound closest to a Balanced all-in-one setup? I had the a left-over FiiO 3.5mm-to-3.5mm 6" line-out cable connected to a Koss E90 energizer and 6.35mm adapter on the other end, and they made a perfect combo with my ESP-950. I am now getting a Stax SR-L500 and SRM-212 and looking at upgrade options, but I am only interested in the Stax SE-input Amps, as I don't like the Stax Balanced-input amps for some reason. Of course, I will use a 3.5mm-to-RCA cable for the Stax setup.

Dec 15, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #1,371 of 1,412
Next step is to upgrade to the PX to drive the stax transformers
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,376 of 1,412
I don't get it why people like the 1Ohm version, they traded musicality with more dynamic and detail.

Well, the 1 ohm HP mod still goes great with my ATH-W1000X with HM5 hybrid ear pads, as it is not that hard to drive and wooden warmth is always there. Goes great with the ESP-950, too. It's just that it's not so great with Stax.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,377 of 1,412
I did that briefly with the Woo WEE and the SR-007.

I thought about the various electrostatic diaphragm designs of Stax products and which ones were mostly used, which were apparently the Lambda series. According to this review article:

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stax/sr-lambda-pro.htm

Capitol records got rid of all of their Lambda Pro setups in 2001 for less pricey setups "to be sure mixes sound good on ordinary equipment, not just on the very best equipment." (quoted from the kenrockwell.com link)

For CEntrance's artist's testimony page:

http://centrance.com/artists/

CEntrance bases a whole lot of their engineering on what their artists hear. It is very possible that many of these artists used the equipment Capitol records had, before and after 2001.

I have wondered if any record labels used any of the Omega series setups, because all Omega series setups I used just did not have the right background recording projections for my ears, no matter what DAC or amp was used. It did not have to do with channel imbalance, but on the circular edges of the electrostatic diaphragm emitting different sound projections at the exact same time during more spatial notes and demonstrations from songs. I never heard this from my HE-4 or other orthodyamics, just the Omega series.

Eh, maybe it's just my ears. :)

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,379 of 1,412
I've got a CX (without the 1-Ohm mod)... love it... use it with several pairs of cans...

I have no experience with a tube amp, and have no easy way to try any... will a Project Ember or a BH Crack change my life for the better? Whatcha think?

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,380 of 1,412
True story, somehow I got disappointed with the CX at some point and stopped using it and later sold on that auction site. The dude who bought it ran into some issues with it which I never experienced and I was kind enough to take it back. Funny thing now I'm in love with it, well more or less, at least like it much better than before, definitely more than a Modi Multibit I had, sold and don't miss at all. Galvanic isolation actually works, with other DACs I get some buzzing at max volume over the USB connection from my laptop, I tried iFi iPurifier, iDefender, Shiit Wyrd for this issue to no avail. The CX is dead silent, even when I use its line input from another DAC which normally buzzes when connected directly to the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back