CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Apr 23, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,381 of 1,412
Reviving this thread for this beaut...Still using my CX at my home office desk. Recently switched from HD700s to Focal Elegia (needed to move to closed back). Sounds good as ever, but the upgrade bug is biting...thinking of moving this to my work office desk and selling the hifi-m8 I have there, and looking at buying a Burson Conductor 3P for my home office.

Question is, has anyone tried to feed the CX with android OTG? Any ideas if it will work?

Jun 1, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #1,383 of 1,412
Centrance DACMINI 2 is announced!! Are you guys excited??

I really did enjoy my original DACmini but have since moved on to Burson units. Undecided yet if I'll go for a DACMini 2, although I'm sure it will be a great product knowing CEntrance's track record.

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #1,384 of 1,412
I really did enjoy my original DACmini but have since moved on to Burson units. Undecided yet if I'll go for a DACMini 2, although I'm sure it will be a great product knowing CEntrance's track record.
I have booked mine through the prebook deal. Let's hope it get reviewed soon, so we could have an idea about its capabilities and more folks would also get interested in the new Dacmini2 once they get to know what they would be getting from Centrance in Dacmini2!!

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #1,385 of 1,412
Early surveys were asking if people would be interested in a mic input. I would have liked that, but I'm in the minority on that one.

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #1,386 of 1,412
Early surveys were asking if people would be interested in a mic input. I would have liked that, but I'm in the minority on that one.
I actually do use the mic input on my gaming PC on my Burson units, I feel like it wouldn't have taken much to put one on there.

Jun 2, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #1,387 of 1,412
There's a difference between the full XLR mic inputs and a small trrs mic input though, but I suppose if they could support both that would have been nice.

Jan 29, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #1,389 of 1,412
Hi all, newbie here. I have a Centrance Dacmini and have owned it for approx 10 years and never had any issues with it. I use it as a DAC/AMP for my desktop at home, it is feeding a pair of oldDynaudio MC15s and my laptop is the source via USB. I love it and despite its age am very happy with how it sounds.

Recently the Dacmini input selector has started to jump around which is becoming a real problem for me. I use a USB input and without warning it will jump to (say) COAX input etc. Now this problem has got worse and the input is simply switching off - so it will be playing music via USB then without warning no input is selected and the music stops, LEDs go out) and I need to reselect USB all over again. Re-selecting USB as an input when this happens usually causes the system to power off again immediately and hence it is getting to the stage where the Dacmini isn't usable. I have purchased an individual surge protector for the Dacmini to see if there are power spikes/surges causing an issue (I have an airconditioning unit running close by) but it doesn't solve the problem and I have also tested if this problem occurs even without any inputs attached to the Dacmini (it does) so have ruled out a problem with a specific input type itself. One possibility may be that I have too many powered devices running in my study (which is external to my house in a man-cave in the garden) and hence powerboard needs greater capacity but I am no expert.

I would value any feedback from the group as to whether this has happened to other users or whether my Dacmini may simply be asking to be retired due to old age!

Thanks
Mark, Brisbane, Australia.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #1,390 of 1,412
Hi all, newbie here. I have a Centrance Dacmini and have owned it for approx 10 years and never had any issues with it. I use it as a DAC/AMP for my desktop at home, it is feeding a pair of oldDynaudio MC15s and my laptop is the source via USB. I love it and despite its age am very happy with how it sounds.

Recently the Dacmini input selector has started to jump around which is becoming a real problem for me. I use a USB input and without warning it will jump to (say) COAX input etc. Now this problem has got worse and the input is simply switching off - so it will be playing music via USB then without warning no input is selected and the music stops, LEDs go out) and I need to reselect USB all over again. Re-selecting USB as an input when this happens usually causes the system to power off again immediately and hence it is getting to the stage where the Dacmini isn't usable. I have purchased an individual surge protector for the Dacmini to see if there are power spikes/surges causing an issue (I have an airconditioning unit running close by) but it doesn't solve the problem and I have also tested if this problem occurs even without any inputs attached to the Dacmini (it does) so have ruled out a problem with a specific input type itself. One possibility may be that I have too many powered devices running in my study (which is external to my house in a man-cave in the garden) and hence powerboard needs greater capacity but I am no expert.

I would value any feedback from the group as to whether this has happened to other users or whether my Dacmini may simply be asking to be retired due to old age!

Thanks
Mark, Brisbane, Australia.
You might try spraying some contact cleaner into the input selector knob. (My DACmini has never had this problem, but my car did, and contact cleaner fixed it.)

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:02 PM Post #1,391 of 1,412
Recently the Dacmini input selector has started to jump around which is becoming a real problem for me.

I had something similar-ish but yours is more severe. I could cause my input to freeze and get stuck whenever I rebooted my laptop or woke it from sleep. The dacmini would no longer recognize and I would have to unplug both the usb and the dacmini power to hard boot it, then plug the usb back in for it to recognize. If I didn't power down, the input selector would be frozen and it wouldn't do anything.

Unfortunately I never really found a solid solution for this. I assumed it was due to some kind of usb power spike whenever I restarted the machine. Oddly enough though, simply unplugging the usb was ok.

Just curious though, but do you have a lot of static in your home? That's my only guess as to what this could be. If so, something like a humidifier might help.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #1,392 of 1,412
I had something similar-ish but yours is more severe. I could cause my input to freeze and get stuck whenever I rebooted my laptop or woke it from sleep. The dacmini would no longer recognize and I would have to unplug both the usb and the dacmini power to hard boot it, then plug the usb back in for it to recognize. If I didn't power down, the input selector would be frozen and it wouldn't do anything.

Unfortunately I never really found a solid solution for this. I assumed it was due to some kind of usb power spike whenever I restarted the machine. Oddly enough though, simply unplugging the usb was ok.

Just curious though, but do you have a lot of static in your home? That's my only guess as to what this could be. If so, something like a humidifier might help.
Thanks for your response. That's a very interesting point about static. This problem has only started to occur in the last 2 months which is summertime here in Australia and very humid. However the room is air-conditioned so I would hope the humidity wouldn't cause a problem. The room does get very hot and humid however when it is not in use and this is the first year since I had the unit in this room. So while you suggested the problem may be room too dry perhaps it is actually too moist which also appears to be a potential cause of issues with sensitive electronics?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #1,393 of 1,412
Hmm, too much humidity over the years might also have led to some corrosion which could be an issue. Have you ever popped the lid off to take a look inside? After a decade, giving everything a shot with deoxit/contact cleaner isn't a bad idea either, particularly the switches and knobs/pots.

Jan 31, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,394 of 1,412
Hmm, too much humidity over the years might also have led to some corrosion which could be an issue. Have you ever popped the lid off to take a look inside? After a decade, giving everything a shot with deoxit/contact cleaner isn't a bad idea either, particularly the switches and knobs/pots.
I'm going to do exactly that this evening! Thanks again for taking the time to help me with your ideas.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,395 of 1,412
I'm going to do exactly that this evening! Thanks again for taking the time to help me with your ideas.
Good luck man. Hope it helps! Let us know how it goes.

If not... well, they just released the dacmini 2 so maybe that'll be worth a go :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back