CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Mar 31, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #121 of 1,412

Quote:
But do they have the "out of stock" DacMini?   If they do, those people waiting for their online orders won't be happy there are units sitting on dealer shelves!
smile.gif

You'll have to call Ken and ask him.

Mar 31, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #124 of 1,412

Quote:
Is the amplifier section fully DC-coupled from the beginning to the end? I tried reading the product page but it's not too clear there.

[td] Headphone Amp

[/td] [td] Direct Class A, no caps in the signal path

[/td]

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #126 of 1,412
To give a bit of background on CEntrance (as I know many of you have not heard of us), we are a design firm who has been helping other companies bring products to market for a decade now. In fact, our USB solution is licensed by Bel Canto, Lavry, Benchmark to name a few. We are a licensed 3rd party design house for Analog Devices, OxSemi, Texas Instruments, AKM, XMOS, and others. We really took a hard look and listen to all the components used in the DACmini especially the DAC which we chose an AKM part.

If you take a look at the DACmini link in my signature there is a link to the DACmini page. Take a look at features tab where we have a case study of all the lessons we have learned from working for other manufacturers for the past 11 years. This should give you an idea of why we made many of the decisions we did on DACmini.

@bcwang we may want to borrow some of that bat-like hearing to test some of our new products in the future
happy_face1.gif

And as always please keep the questions coming!!!

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #127 of 1,412

Quote:
To give a bit of background on CEntrance (as I know many of you have not heard of us), we are a design firm who has been helping other companies bring products to market for a decade now. In fact, our USB solution is licensed by Bel Canto, Lavry, Benchmark to name a few. We are a licensed 3rd party design house for Analog Devices, OxSemi, Texas Instruments, AKM, XMOS, and others. We really took a hard look and listen to all the components used in the DACmini especially the DAC which we chose an AKM part.

If you take a look at the DACmini link in my signature there is a link to the DACmini page. Take a look at features tab where we have a case study of all the lessons we have learned from working for other manufacturers for the past 11 years. This should give you an idea of why we made many of the decisions we did on DACmini.

@bcwang we may want to borrow some of that bat-like hearing to test some of our new products in the future
happy_face1.gif

And as always please keep the questions coming!!!

That's a pretty nice writeup! (design case study), I like reading about that kind of stuff.  More manufacturers should do that, it helps users understand all the thought that goes into a product. 

All the touting of a super matched volume pot and low noise floor, I wonder just how quiet it is and how well it can actually be used with sensitive IEMs.  I'm certainly willing to test for you guys, anything to get more products on the market with a super low noise floor for potential outstanding IEM use.

Why don't you point out that you use an AKM Dac on the website?  The 4396 maybe?  Is it a marketing strategy to avoid mentioning the actual model of the DAC chip?

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #128 of 1,412
Semi-off topic gushing reply following. How's this for a banner day: LCD-2s arrive on the same day as a DACport.  Have been listening to the combination for a week now and enjoying it thoroughly.

I should add that I'm usually all vinyl and that digital usually sends me packing.  But the combination noted above is smooth and natural and I can listen (with interest!) for hours.

Looking forward to the DACmini!  Great work guys!

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #129 of 1,412
When asked about the chips we use in our products, our answer is simple: CEntrance only uses the finest components in its products, to guarantee highest audio quality, professional reliability and longevity of your investment. CEntrance is the official design firm for many IC vendors, so naturally we have early access to the best chips.

But the chip is only half the answer - correct implementation is the other half. If someone tries to use a great chip and gets frustrated, they post on the Internet that the chip is bad and other people read that as true. We prefer to have our customers listen to our products and make their decision on the sound quality, not on what they read about chips on the Internet.

Long story short we prefer people judge our products on the "sum of the parts" not one chip in isolation. As this is not the best way to determine the true SQ of a product. That said feel free to ask any questions you may have about any of our designs.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #130 of 1,412

Quote:
When asked about the chips we use in our products, our answer is simple: CEntrance only uses the finest components in its products, to guarantee highest audio quality, professional reliability and longevity of your investment. CEntrance is the official design firm for many IC vendors, so naturally we have early access to the best chips.

But the chip is only half the answer - correct implementation is the other half. If someone tries to use a great chip and gets frustrated, they post on the Internet that the chip is bad and other people read that as true. We prefer to have our customers listen to our products and make their decision on the sound quality, not on what they read about chips on the Internet.

Long story short we prefer people judge our products on the "sum of the parts" not one chip in isolation. As this is not the best way to determine the true SQ of a product. That said feel free to ask any questions you may have about any of our designs.

Good post!

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #132 of 1,412
Hey Peking!!!

As of right now, the DACmini will not work with iPad as it would need to be recognized as a 48kHz or lower device. I will chat with the engineers and have them look into the possibility of adding this capability.

Thanks for the inquiry!

-Jay
beerchug.gif

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #133 of 1,412

Quote:
Hey Peking!!!

As of right now, the DACmini will not work with iPad as it would need to be recognized as a 48kHz or lower device. I will chat with the engineers and have them look into the possibility of adding this capability.

Thanks for the inquiry!

-Jay
beerchug.gif

I think they changed that with iOS 4.2 for iPad.  I'll test mine tonight, and I can use a powered hub if needed.

------------

UPDATE 12mn - since my new post started on a new page I wanted to add this here.

The iPad 2 with OS 4.3.0 > Camera Connection Kit > DACmini was tested tonight.  No powered hub needed.

IT DEFINITELY WORKS, and iTunes on iPad2 shows that it's connected the the CEntrance DACmini in the spot where a volume control would normally show up.  And it sounds very good with my LCD-2.

-----------

UPDATE 2:

I also tried DACmini with an iPad 1 and iOS 4.2.1 (jailbroken but with no special audio software installed) - this also works fine with DACmini and Camera Connection Kit with no powered hub needed.  Sounds great just like the iPad 2 that I first tested.

Apr 6, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #135 of 1,412
Great thread!

I've been using a DACPort for about a week at my office.  I'm using it both as a DAC/Amp and as a DAC with dedicated headphone amp, and enjoying it in both configurations.  Nice detail, Class-A sonic signature with low noise floor, and surprisingly adept as a headphone amp.  Does a very nice job with higher rez files (e.g. Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed" from HDTracks), and I've heard some things listening to the 24-bit Beatles remasters that I've not heard before with my DACPort.

I'm using the DACPort as a portable source at the office, and will likely continue to do so.  I'm encouraged by what I'm reading about the DACMini, and will likely pick one up for one of my home rigs.  Nice products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back