CEntrance DACmini DAC/Amplifier Official Thread
Mar 29, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #106 of 1,412
It's an kick ass deal especially for us international head-fi'ers!!
darthsmile.gif

Quote:
No no when you get to the checkout is says Free Shipping Promo! So i saved myself $44 on shipping! Which is pretty good imo!

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #107 of 1,412
Im not sure if its in this thread. But i came across a post where the boys from CEntrance mentioned, actually go through and do a lot of testing with there Volume Controls. About 1 in 4 pass the channel balance/tracking. So far i havent heard anything bad at all.

Quote:
How's the low volume tracking and just how low can you get the volume compared to the HDP and uDac2?

Tell me about it! Being in Australia is a definite plus! Our exchange rate is ridiculous right now so i jumped on the deal :)

Quote:
It's an kick ass deal especially for us international head-fi'ers!!
darthsmile.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #108 of 1,412

Quote:
Im not sure if its in this thread. But i came across a post where the boys from CEntrance mentioned, actually go through and do a lot of testing with there Volume Controls. About 1 in 4 pass the channel balance/tracking. So far i havent heard anything bad at all.

Tell me about it! Being in Australia is a definite plus! Our exchange rate is ridiculous right now so i jumped on the deal :)

Yeah, i took the opportunity to order the DACport that came with free international shipping as well. It was sent on Fedex and arrived down under in 4 days. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:35 AM Post #109 of 1,412
eek.gif

4 Days!! Wow!!! Ive been looking at the dacport! Maybe if i get a laptop or Netbook sometime down the track!

Quote:
Yeah, i took the opportunity to order the DACport that came with free international shipping as well. It was sent on Fedex and arrived down under in 4 days. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #110 of 1,412

Quote:
How's the low volume tracking and just how low can you get the volume compared to the HDP and uDac2?

The low volume tracking is excellent, and I can go much much lower than with the HDP or uDAC-2.  The best volume knobs I've had are on my DACmini, ZDT, WA6, HR Micro Amp, Meier Headfive desktop amp, and RSA SR-71b.  Amphora doesn't count because it's a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.

I should note that with your very sensitive ears you will likely hear the quiet background hiss with your IEM.  For me I can barely notice it except with my ES3X, and even then it's 3-4x quieter than my Amphora.

Mar 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #112 of 1,412

Quote:
The low volume tracking is excellent, and I can go much much lower than with the HDP or uDAC-2.  The best volume knobs I've had are on my DACmini, ZDT, WA6, HR Micro Amp, Meier Headfive desktop amp, and RSA SR-71b.  Amphora doesn't count because it's a Goldpoint stepped attenuator.

I should note that with your very sensitive ears you will likely hear the quiet background hiss with your IEM.  For me I can barely notice it except with my ES3X, and even then it's 3-4x quieter than my Amphora.

The Pico Slim you have doesn't fall under the list as having one of the best volume knobs? 

So I guess that means the Dacmini does hiss, would you say it's on the level of the HDP, uDac2, or somewhere in between?

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #113 of 1,412
IMO, there is NO comparison between the DACMini and the NuForce products.  They are in different worlds.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #114 of 1,412

Quote:

So I guess that means the Dacmini does hiss, would you say it's on the level of the HDP, uDac2, or somewhere in between?

Thanks!

Sorry to be so defensive, but we have yet to have a single customer complain of a hiss issue. Bcwang, have you tried the DACmini yourself or is this simply an "educated guess"?

Again we REALLY value the input from this community and I am just trying to understand if there is the potential for hiss on our products under certain circumstances.

@kwkarth
Thanks again for all the kind words we really do appreciate it

Again, if anyone has any comments or questions, I am here to answer them so please feel free to contact me!!!
gs1000.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #115 of 1,412

Quote:
Sorry to be so defensive, but we have yet to have a single customer complain of a hiss issue. Bcwang, have you tried the DACmini yourself or is this simply an "educated guess"?

I believe he was responding to HeadphoneAddict's post in which he said:
Quote:

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #117 of 1,412

Quote:

Again we REALLY value the input from this community and I am just trying to understand if there is the potential for hiss on our products under certain circumstances.

@kwkarth
Thanks again for all the kind words we really do appreciate it

Again, if anyone has any comments or questions, I am here to answer them so please feel free to contact me!!!
gs1000.gif

You are right, I have never heard it.  I only made an educated guess based on HeadphoneAddict's comment which I understood as: he can hear a slight hiss out of it.  Based on our past experiences, if he can hear the slightest hiss out of an amp with his headphones, when I'm using the se530 I will hear a very loud and unmistakable hiss that can be identified in the loudest of environments.  Sure, the only way to know for sure is to try it, but these aren't exactly available at your local dealer. 

Mar 31, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #118 of 1,412

Quote:
You are right, I have never heard it.  I only made an educated guess based on HeadphoneAddict's comment which I understood as: he can hear a slight hiss out of it.  Based on our past experiences, if he can hear the slightest hiss out of an amp with his headphones, when I'm using the se530 I will hear a very loud and unmistakable hiss that can be identified in the loudest of environments.  Sure, the only way to know for sure is to try it, but these aren't exactly available at your local dealer.

Depends upon who your dealer is.  We're lucky to live in StumpTown and our local dealer does carry Centrance products.  Woot!

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #120 of 1,412

Quote:
Only in soundstage which is better HDP or dac mini ?

The DACmini is more spacious sounding like my WA6, although I would not call the HDP closed in or anything - it doesn't seem to get as wide when using the stock PSU.  The HDP is maybe a little more forward at times, while my Amphora has a little deeper stage vs the DACmini.  With the Sigma11 PSU the HDP gets closer to the DACmini with a more holographic sound that becomes more transparent, but not quite to that level.  If you already had a HDP then a S11 PSU upgrade is likely worth it, but if you didn't then going directly to a DACmini makes more sense than picking up the HDP with an S11 PSU for a similar price.

Quote:
The Pico Slim you have doesn't fall under the list as having one of the best volume knobs? 

Thanks!

Sorry, it was late and I was sleepy, the Pico Slim belongs in the list of amps with good low volume channel balance.  I seem to recall that my old RSA Predator also had good channel balance, and I've checked my Protector which is also very good.

I don't think every knows yet that you have bat-like or dog-like hearing ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back