Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Nov 20, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,756 of 2,133
I don't own a DAP to compare it directly to the RU7. But because RU7 has a line out feature, you can use it with a portable amp of your choice, like I use mine with my FiiO Q3.
It remains as portable as a DAP depending on your amp size and I bet it sounds just as good.
Yeah, that's one of my plan too, to use RU7 as LO.

Nov 21, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #1,757 of 2,133
Same here. The RU7 works perfectly with my iPhone 15 Pro, even in DSD256 mode. It works better than my iPhone 12 Pro (Lightning connector), which would stutter in DSD256 depending on the cable and volume level.
Great, this is what I have been looking forward to.

I desperately want to know whether the USB connectors of the iPhone 15 series has limited the output current like other iPhone. If Apple has removed (or at least relaxed) the current limiting feature, that would mean current RU7 users can enjoy the full features including All to DSD256 and playback with more demanding IEMs and portable friendly headphones. In addition, we can develop a Dongle DAC with a higher output down the road.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,759 of 2,133
Anyone tried the RU7 with Focal Radiance, I found the RU6 to be an excellent portable device for the Radiance, even better than the Mojo 2 with this headphone.

Yes, the RU7 pairs well with the Radiance. Since the Radiance has a warmer tonal balance, I prefer DSD256 on the RU7 for an airier sound, but that is just me. The RU7 has more than enough power for the Radiance, which is very easily driven. You might not even need high gain on the RU7 for the Radiance

Nov 21, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,760 of 2,133
RU7 is due to be delivered tomorrow, niice.

Q. I'll mostly be using the lineout function into my HP amp (NJC reference amp). The NJC DAC it's currently paired with outputs 1.7Vrms. So this is in between the balanced and unbalanced Vrms of the RU7. Gonna order a custom cable shortly for the RU7 to amp (well, 3 way switch separate, then to the amp). Which would be preferable, RCAs to 4.4mm or RCAs to 3.5mm? I know the output is double via the balanced, but wondered from an audio quality perspective, are there any benefits going 4.4 or 3.5 considering they'll both terminate at unbalanced RCAs? Which option would offer least distortion/cleanest signal etc?

NOTE: As I'm currently headphoneless [ARRRRGGGHH] until my new ones arrive, I might also use the lineout direct into my powered speakers (Hivi Swans M200 mkii). Again, other than being doubled output, is it preferable using 4.4 - RCAs? (NJC amp outputs 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0Vrms on low, med and high gain to the speakers currently)

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #1,762 of 2,133
RU7 is due to be delivered tomorrow, niice.

Q. I'll mostly be using the lineout function into my HP amp (NJC reference amp). The NJC DAC it's currently paired with outputs 1.7Vrms. So this is in between the balanced and unbalanced Vrms of the RU7. Gonna order a custom cable shortly for the RU7 to amp (well, 3 way switch separate, then to the amp). Which would be preferable, RCAs to 4.4mm or RCAs to 3.5mm? I know the output is double via the balanced, but wondered from an audio quality perspective, are there any benefits going 4.4 or 3.5 considering they'll both terminate at unbalanced RCAs? Which option would offer least distortion/cleanest signal etc?

NOTE: As I'm currently headphoneless [ARRRRGGGHH] until my new ones arrive, I might also use the lineout direct into my powered speakers (Hivi Swans M200 mkii). Again, other than being doubled output, is it preferable using 4.4 - RCAs? (NJC amp outputs 0.5, 1.0 and 2.0Vrms on low, med and high gain to the speakers currently)

Theoretically, if the cable is made correctly, 4.4mm to Dual RCA is a safe design, the 4.4mm format supports the single-ended connection in its specification.

However, you cannot assume that the output of 4.4mm to Dual RCA is equal to 4.4mm to 4.4mm connection. The former is a single-end connectivity out of a 4.4mm socket, the latter is a balanced connection. When L- and R- output is not included in the 4.4mm to Dual RCA cable, you won't achieve the same output level. We didn't measure the single-ended output from the 4.4mm connectors, but theoretically, again, the rated output should be very similar, if not identical, to the 3.5mm output. So I don't see any advantage to going for a custom 4.4mm to Dual RCA cable, the only advantage is the 4.4mm socket being bigger and more robust than 3.5mm socket.

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,763 of 2,133
Theoretically, if the cable is made correctly, 4.4mm to Dual RCA is a safe design, the 4.4mm format supports the single-ended connection in its specification.

However, you cannot assume that the output of 4.4mm to Dual RCA is equal to 4.4mm to 4.4mm connection. The former is a single-end connectivity out of a 4.4mm socket, the latter is a balanced connection. When L- and R- output is not included in the 4.4mm to Dual RCA cable, you won't achieve the same output level. We didn't measure the single-ended output from the 4.4mm connectors, but theoretically, again, the rated output should be very similar, if not identical, to the 3.5mm output. So I don't see any advantage to going for a custom 4.4mm to Dual RCA cable, the only advantage is the 4.4mm socket being bigger and more robust than 3.5mm socket.
Perfect. Many thanks for the in-depth explanation, most helpful. Regards

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,764 of 2,133
Is the leather case of the RU7 also loose like the RU6 case, bit annoying when I insert the USB-C cable the RU6 comes out of the case, one more issue with that case is the UBS-C port cutout has very little clearance so cables with slight bigger housing doesn't go in fully.

Nov 22, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,765 of 2,133
Is the leather case of the RU7 also loose like the RU6 case, bit annoying when I insert the USB-C cable the RU6 comes out of the case, one more issue with that case is the UBS-C port cutout has very little clearance so cables with slight bigger housing doesn't go in fully.
Not at all... the leather case is tight fit.

Nov 22, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #1,766 of 2,133
Just in case you guys want to read my "don't shake the dongle" :wink: review that got featured recently on the main page of Head-Fi
ru7 headfi.png
you can read it here : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cayin-ru7.26493/reviews#review-32067
@Andykong

Nov 23, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #1,767 of 2,133
Since I don't have iPhone 15, wonder if anybody can confirm if a "regular" iPhone 15 Pro works with RU7? I had a few questions with people asking me about it (and the same with W4). I see comments about iPhone 15 Pro MAX working without a problem with RU7, but I don't see any confirmation about iPhone 15 Pro (non-MAX) compatibility. Anybody?
Hi, I just got an iphone 15 base model and it works with my ru7, hope this helps.

Nov 28, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,768 of 2,133
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...iphone_15_owners_any_luck_with_portable_dacs/

People in reddit say it works confirmed with RU7, ifi go blu, Qudelix 5k, FiiO K3, fiio btr3,

and this would be the cable you want if you want an upgrade

https://bloomaudio.com/products/ddh...46635&pr_ref_pid=6831064383563&pr_seq=uniform
Well, the unit arrived today. And it does sound very nice, though the amount of listening time has been short.

Andy, there is an option to play music resampled at DSD 256. And that is working well.

However, it is really hard to get it to recognize DSD. I don't think it is hardware, as I have found one app that can output DSD. Hopefully the mainstream software vendors can work it out somehow. The app is called Ever Play. It does not handle gapless (even though there is a setting for that). Plus the developer is sending a rather bleak message about the future of the app when one goes to purchase the product.

If anybody knows of other apps that send DSD properly to dongles such the RU7 please chim in. As far as I know, Neutron has the problem along with HiBy Music (my primary app) and FIIO Music. In the case of Neutron I found this out from posting in the forums, I don't actually have the app (at least yet).

I was a little bummed by heeding comments that "it works" along with other units. I think the problem is that most people don't understand it when I ask about DSD and instead answer about their experiences with PCM. Which is not a problem with any dongles that I know of with the iphone 15 line.

Besides the gaps between tracks DSD sounds very nice on this unit.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #1,769 of 2,133
@Andykong

Do Cayin RU6 and/or Cayin RU7 support in-line microphone (4-pole 3.5mm CTIA TRRS)?

Nov 29, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #1,770 of 2,133
@Andykong

Do Cayin RU6 and/or Cayin RU7 support in-line microphone (4-pole 3.5mm CTIA TRRS)?

You can't control the playback via the RU6 or RU7, to do that we need to add a new signal path to one of the 4th poles and it will introduce hum to very sensitive IEM when using regular TRS connectors.

You can't use it to control volume either, with discrete DACs like RU6 or RU7, we rely on analog volume control AFTER the DAC circuit. Adding a volume control BEFORE the DAC circuit will lower the data integrity and defeat the purpose of the discrete resistor network DAC circuit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back