Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Dec 9, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #1,786 of 2,178
I really didn't expect a RU7 open box impression from you, what a surprise.

RU6/RU7 and HA-300mk2 are the starting point and end point of Cayin's Personal Audio line, now you know our range.

K:beerchug: :beerchug:
I can definitely hear the Cayin DNA (mids to die for) with both products, and it's awesome having great sound on the go with the RU7 and even greater sound at home with the HA300MK2.

Well done again Cayin and good to hear from you @Andykong. :beerchug:

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,787 of 2,178
Cayin RU7 is on the way for me as well. Unfortunately I don't have Luxury&Precision W4 anymore but will compare it against my Lotoo S2

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #1,788 of 2,178
Cayin RU7 is on the way for me as well. Unfortunately I don't have Luxury&Precision W4 anymore but will compare it against my Lotoo S2
The RU7 has a much clearer sound unlike the two darker sounds of the W4 and S2, it has the detail of the W4 and the analog sound of the S2. In terms of stage and three-dimensionality it leaves both behind by a good margin.

Dec 10, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #1,789 of 2,178
The RU7 has a much clearer sound unlike the two darker sounds of the W4 and S2, it has the detail of the W4 and the analog sound of the S2. In terms of stage and three-dimensionality it leaves both behind by a good margin.

I preferred S2 to W4 as W4 was a bit too much with my brighter headphones, though other ears said W4 was better as it's technically superior. To me non-offensive sound of S2 drove me into owning it. RU7 on the other had was a purchase out of curiosity to see how R2R is done in such a tiny format.

I can already say that dongles improved quite a bit since the days of DFR release

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #1,790 of 2,178
I preferred S2 to W4 as W4 was a bit too much with my brighter headphones, though other ears said W4 was better as it's technically superior. To me non-offensive sound of S2 drove me into owning it. RU7 on the other had was a purchase out of curiosity to see how R2R is done in such a tiny format.

I can already say that dongles improved quite a bit since the days of DFR release
Be careful not to get confused... the RU7 is not an R2R but a 1bit DAC (DSD64-DSD128-DSD256) which derives from the Cayin N7... the Cayin R2R dongle is the RU6 which derives from the N6 with R2R module .

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,791 of 2,178
Be careful not to get confused... the RU7 is not an R2R but a 1bit DAC (DSD64-DSD128-DSD256) which derives from the Cayin N7... the Cayin R2R dongle is the RU6 which derives from the N6 with R2R module .
Shoot....well let's hear it first. Somehow I thought it's an upgraded version of RU6

Dec 10, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #1,792 of 2,178
Shoot....well let's hear it first. Somehow I thought it's an upgraded version of RU6
They are two different DACs with similarities... the RU6 is an R2R DAC therefore very, very musical, with an analogue sound, warm, soft, welcoming and which puts the voices and individual instruments in the foreground making them "magical" but not particularly suitable for those who want tons of details and stadium-sized stages in their listening sessions. The RU7 is different... it's like having three dongles in one... thanks to its modes (DSD64-DSD128-DSD256) it changes the way the music is played... from the first closest (and I'm not saying the same) to that of the RU6 to the one furthest from it... the DSD256. The RU7 is much more technical than its brother the RU6, definition, details, huge soundstage, balance between frequency positions... nothing is in the foreground (voices for RU6) but everything is clear, defined, deep. The thing that they have in common is the type of analogue sound, smooth, and far from the edges of most delta/sigma DACs, the thing that most differentiates them is the type of "magic" that only an R2R can give to the sound, its smoothness and three-dimensionality of the voices and individual instruments, on the other hand the stage, the amount of details, the balance of tonality. Neither of them wins over the other... neither of them is superior... they are just different ways of listening... the first is more intimate and magical, the second is more technical, defined and dynamic. The choice is yours... I chose both. :wink:

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:00 AM Post #1,793 of 2,178

To start with, both RU6 and RU7 employ resistor network DAC implementation, and a lot of users will assume resistor network implies R2R DAC, which is technically necessarily true

From a Dongle DAC product point of view, that is a valid statement for RU7 because, but we need to employ different DAC technologies to achieve that. R2R requires 96 resistors to achieve 24-bit decoding, to build a balanced DAC circuit, we need 192 resistors. We simply can't squeeze that large number of high-precision resistors into a Dongle DAC, even if we could increase the size of the Dongle accordingly, the cramped resistors would generate a lot of heat which in turn would lower the accuracy of the resistors, and that contradicted the basic principle of R-2R DAC design.

With 1-bit DAC, we can lower the resistor count from 192 to 128 for a balanced DAC circuit, and the 1-bit DAC technologies are less demanding on the resistor's accuracy, which means they are more tolerant of thermal problems caused by the large number of resistors in a cramped space. That's how we upgraded the resistor network DAC from single-ended to Balanced in RU7.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #1,794 of 2,178
I hope Andy wouldn't mind me asking here, but is anyone here who has both the Ifi Gryphon and the RU7? Would you mind comparing the sound quality of those 2?

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #1,795 of 2,178
I hope Andy wouldn't mind me asking here, but is anyone here who has both the Ifi Gryphon and the RU7? Would you mind comparing the sound quality of those 2?
You are most welcomed, HeadFi is a user-centeted forum, and this is a very valid question to Dongle DAC users. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 11, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #1,796 of 2,178
Wanted to provide my input for any gamers in this thread - the RU7 is amazing with the Steam Deck. I've tried both the RU6 (in the past) and RU7, and the Meze 109 Pro sounded smoother on the latter. Going on memory, I found the RU6 treble harsh with the already bright Meze's, but the RU7 smooths it over and really adds to that soundstage and imaging. I think mids may not be as liquid as the RU6, but they still sound silky. Was playing Blasphemous 2 for reference. Not sure how much battery drain there is in comparison, as I have the new OLED version now with the bigger battery.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:26 PM Post #1,799 of 2,178
Short answer yes. To my ears - iFi is laid back and relaxed. RU7 more forward and dynamic
Ah very interesting, I had the RU6 a while back and was considering getting the signature or ru7 soon, thanks

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,800 of 2,178
Hey all,

Curious if anyone else has had the issue of the gold plate insert being pulled out of the socket when pulling out a plug? This is the second time this has occured with the 4.4mm socket, using 2 different cables.

1000005667.jpg

I can push it back in but it keeps getting pulled out. Not sure if I need to go with a different dongle at this point.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back