Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Dec 11, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,801 of 2,178
Hey all,

Curious if anyone else has had the issue of the gold plate insert being pulled out of the socket when pulling out a plug? This is the second time this has occured with the 4.4mm socket, using 2 different cables.

1000005667.jpg

I can push it back in but it keeps getting pulled out. Not sure if I need to go with a different dongle at this point.
thats no bueno...never happend to mine

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,802 of 2,178
Hey all,

Curious if anyone else has had the issue of the gold plate insert being pulled out of the socket when pulling out a plug? This is the second time this has occured with the 4.4mm socket, using 2 different cables.

1000005667.jpg

I can push it back in but it keeps getting pulled out. Not sure if I need to go with a different dongle at this point.
Bad deal... I also have the RU7 and also the Cadmus... and actually the Effect Audios are very aggressive on the jacks... but I didn't think so far. It appears that the RU7 ring has completely desoldered at the bottom.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,803 of 2,178
Bad deal... I also have the RU7 and also the Cadmus... and actually the Effect Audios are very aggressive on the jacks... but I didn't think so far. It appears that the RU7 ring has completely desoldered at the bottom.
It first occured with a First Times Shielded, which is Pentaconn. My Cadmus FE is also Pentaconn. Seems to stay in with a Sony jack but still.. if the solder did crack then this is not fixable.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,804 of 2,178
Hey all,

It first occured with a First Times Shielded, which is Pentaconn. My Cadmus FE is also Pentaconn. Seems to stay in with a Sony jack but still.. if the solder did crack then this is not fixable.

This is no good, that's the outer ring of the 4.4mm socket. It is mechanically attached to the 4.4mm socket, there is no welding involved, so theoretically you can push it back into the socket, when you hear the click sound, it is properly seated into the socket. However, if these happen repeatedly, the two connectors will stressed out and will happen even more frequently. It doesn't affect the audio performance, but still considered unacceptable for practical reasons.

We have received scattered reports of similar instances with our Dongle DAC and DAPs and all too often, Pentaconn 4.4mm connector is the number 1 connector that caused this problem. I know this is embarrassing, but the Pentaconn 4.4mm connector is known to be slightly bigger than other connectors in the market. If you can check with your local cable maker, they probably will share the same thoughts. For this reason, when you run into a Pentaconn 4.4mm connector that is on the bigger side of their acceptable range (yes, all connectors are made within an acceptable range of variation), you'll find it harder than normal to plug or unplug the connector. The problem is if we make our Dongle DAC/DAP connector more friendly with Pentaconn 4.4mm connectors, many aftermarket 4.4mm cables will find it a bit too loose to feel comfortable.

1702347174054.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,805 of 2,178
Just received the Ru7 today.
Quick questions:

Does the RU7 need to be warmed up before sounding its best like the Ares2 r2r DAC?

If the ru7 upsamples to DSD (64, 128, 256) - does that mean I should ideally set Neutron player to play bit perfect and never upsample PCM to 96, 194, khz or DSD 128 within that player?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #1,806 of 2,178
This is no good, that's the outer ring of the 4.4mm socket. It is mechanically attached to the 4.4mm socket, there is no welding involved, so theoretically you can push it back into the socket, when you hear the click sound, it is properly seated into the socket. However, if these happen repeatedly, the two connectors will stressed out and will happen even more frequently. It doesn't affect the audio performance, but still considered unacceptable for practical reasons.

We have received scattered reports of similar instances with our Dongle DAC and DAPs and all too often, Pentaconn 4.4mm connector is the number 1 connector that caused this problem. I know this is embarrassing, but the Pentaconn 4.4mm connector is known to be slightly bigger than other connectors in the market. If you can check with your local cable maker, they probably will share the same thoughts. For this reason, when you run into a Pentaconn 4.4mm connector that is on the bigger side of their acceptable range (yes, all connectors are made within an acceptable range of variation), you'll find it harder than normal to plug or unplug the connector. The problem is if we make our Dongle DAC/DAP connector more friendly with Pentaconn 4.4mm connectors, many aftermarket 4.4mm cables will find it a bit too loose to feel comfortable.

1702347174054.png
Thank you for your detailed response, I appreciate it. To fix this, would a bit of Loctite glue on the clip and slide it back in potentially fix the issue?

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #1,807 of 2,178

1702347174054.png
What is the different between Pentaconn 4.4mm and, let's say, my Xinhs cable's 4.4 connector?

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #1,808 of 2,178
Thank you for your detailed response, I appreciate it. To fix this, would a bit of Loctite glue on the clip and slide it back in potentially fix the issue?

Loctite glue is available in many variations, but I am not very knowledgeable about that. Look for the glue that works with metal and plastic and it will settle itself AFTER 30 seconds. You don't want the glue to react instantly, you need some time to make sure the outer ring slot-in correctly,

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #1,809 of 2,178
What is the different between Pentaconn 4.4mm and, let's say, my Xinhs cable's 4.4 connector?

Sorry, I have no idea which brands/batch of 4.4mm connector were used with your Xinhs cable, you need to consult Xinhs or the shop you bought the cable from for more detail.

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #1,810 of 2,178
Sorry, I have no idea which brands/batch of 4.4mm connector were used with your Xinhs cable, you need to consult Xinhs or the shop you bought the cable from for more detail.
Yeah, that's kinda what i meant. Is their many variations of 4.4 connector? Before this, i thought 4.4 and Pentaconn is the same thing. Pentaconn i also see as a branding on some. If we say, 2.5mm, 3.5mm, they're universal, but that seems to not be the case for 4.4?

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #1,811 of 2,178
Just received the Ru7 today.
Quick questions:

Does the RU7 need to be warmed up before sounding its best like the Ares2 r2r DAC?

If the ru7 upsamples to DSD (64, 128, 256) - does that mean I should ideally set Neutron player to play bit perfect and never upsample PCM to 96, 194, khz or DSD 128 within that player?

Yes, it will take a short while so that the resistor network will reach stable operation temperature.

I can't comment on Neutron specifically, but your assumption is correct, the RU7 upsampling was conducted by a mass-market chipset, we don't have a lot of choices because RU7 can only work with a space-saving chip that didn't draw a lot of power. If your digital source can provide a better upsampling solution, it should improve the performance slightly. The incoming bitstream will go through the internal upsampling chip nevertheless, but the change will be minimal and you should still hear the improvement of a better-upsampled source if you have a pair of IEMs that is excellent on detail retrieval.

Dec 11, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #1,812 of 2,178
Yeah, that's kinda what i meant. Is their many variations of 4.4 connector? Before this, i thought 4.4 and Pentaconn is the same thing. Pentaconn i also see as a branding on some. If we say, 2.5mm, 3.5mm, they're universal, but that seems to not be the case for 4.4?
Well, 2.5mm and 3.5mm are not universal, not from our perspective. They just have a small variation range because of a small size to start with.

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #1,813 of 2,178
Anyone tried the Stellia with the RU7 on DSD256? In short: recommended. Really quite special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back