Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Dec 18, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #1,816 of 2,221
Totally missed the point. He talked about Android. I also hear a lot of annoying sounds between tracks and even when I pause them across multiple operating systems.
Sorry I missed his point because he was replying to my iPhone+RU7 post.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 18, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #1,817 of 2,221
Are there some newer revisions of the RU7 not producing crackling noises when I pause the music? That was a huge dealbreaker and made me return it. I'll keep using my RU6 as long as they don't fix this.
Any more details on this? I have an RU7 bought relatively early, use it with both my iPad and my Samsung S22 Ultra and never had any problems like you are describing, whether I am listening to Tidal, Amazon Music, or Audible.

Dec 19, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #1,818 of 2,221
Any more details on this? I have an RU7 bought relatively early, use it with both my iPad and my Samsung S22 Ultra and never had any problems like you are describing, whether I am listening to Tidal, Amazon Music, or Audible.
Well that's unexpected. Mabe I had a faulty RU7 or am too sensitive to some crackling noises?

This is what I posted earlier:
Hey guys, I'm comparing the new RU7 to RU6. Unfortunately RU7 produces some discharging noises (or something like crackling) when pausing music or other sounds. RU6 doesn't do that. What could be the problem? Running both on Linux. Same problem on Android cellphone. Do I need to burn-in RU7?
One of the answers:
Thats a 'feature' on the RU7 lol. Pausing music and and changing tracks will produce crackles (sometimes in the quieter passages of music). Nothing to do but to accept and live with it. I like the RU7 quite a bit but has sold it off recently as I like my bass to be fast,immediate and tactile. On RU7 bass is kinda mushy and diffused (probably a cayin thing, Same issue on the N8ii. Although I understand many will prefer this sorta bass). Also less incisive/sharp notes than I like 'em to be.

Someone also mentioned better shielded cables, but I tried several cables already such as Amazon Basics cables. I'm not going to buy cables over $50.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,819 of 2,221
Well that's unexpected. Mabe I had a faulty RU7 or am too sensitive to some crackling noises?

One of the answers:

Someone also mentioned better shielded cables, but I tried several cables already such as Amazon Basics cables. I'm not going to buy cables over $50.
Pretty sure cable will not be causing it, I am using cheap amazon basics and cable creation cables none had this issue, can be a faulty unit though.

Dec 19, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #1,820 of 2,221
My RU7 is dead silent, unlike RU6 which has EMI noise problems that can't be totally fixed when using it with a cellular phone.

Dec 19, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,822 of 2,221
Will this work with my iphone 12 running Roon connected to a lightning to USB-C adapter? Just curious if it's even compatible with iOS. Any specific playback software needed on my iphone? I'm currently using my DCA Aeon 2 CB via a Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm cable. If I get the RU7 will the volume levels be adequate for that headphone compared to just using the Apple lightning adapter? I find right now the apple adapter works well volume wise but is a little thin and scattered in terms of detail and playback dynamics.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #1,823 of 2,221
So Cayin Ru7 has arrived and I finally had time to play around with it. RU7 sits above Paw S2 which may be a bit soft in it's presentation compared to this dongle. RU7 is more detailed, yet contains smooth presentation. Worth to notice that I've found W4 too aggressive with Utopia, while RU7 walks the perfect line between technical yet not overly aggressive presentation with already bright headphones.

Now the downside of RU7 is it doesn't even turn on via USB port on my macbook air, macbook pro via usb-c has no issues. Using Iphone7 the screen turns on, but there is no sound while other dongles have no issues using same cables. Is it because RU7 needs more current from the source due to it's design or I'm running into something else ?

Dec 19, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #1,824 of 2,221
So Cayin Ru7 has arrived and I finally had time to play around with it. RU7 sits above Paw S2 which may be a bit soft in it's presentation compared to this dongle. RU7 is more detailed, yet contains smooth presentation. Worth to notice that I've found W4 too aggressive with Utopia, while RU7 walks the perfect line between technical yet not overly aggressive presentation with already bright headphones.

Now the downside of RU7 is it doesn't even turn on via USB port on my macbook air, macbook pro via usb-c has no issues. Using Iphone7 the screen turns on, but there is no sound while other dongles have no issues using same cables. Is it because RU7 needs more current from the source due to it's design or I'm running into something else ?
Yes, RU7 requires a cable that is capable to carry 5V, but most lightning data cable is only rated at 3.3V, so it is possible that your cable is working with other Dongle DAC but is not compatible with RU7.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 19, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,825 of 2,221
No problems to drive my RU6/7 with the Cayin Lightning-USB- C cable on Ipad pro.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,826 of 2,221
Yes, RU7 requires a cable that is capable to carry 5V, but most lightning data cable is only rated at 3.3V, so it is possible that your cable is working with other Dongle DAC but is not compatible with RU7.
I'm using Cayin supplied usb-c cable with usb adapter found in package. Will try to test it with other cables once I'll get back home. Thanks for an update :wink:

Edit: It's not the cable as I have no issues playing via USB-C port on Mac Pro, but same cable via USB on Air doesn't work. I guess my 2017 old mac air and iphone 7 is not able to push 5v then.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #1,828 of 2,221
Damn, the RU7 is not really the portable dongle I was hoping for. Brutal skipping on my Shanling iPhone to USB-C. Hoping the FiiO cable today will be better...

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #1,829 of 2,221

One of the answers:

I'm also hearing quite a few clicks and pops while music is playing, especially in the quieter passages. It's really a shame because I love the overall presentation but then it gets ruined by constant noise artifacts :frowning2:

I've tried multiple cables, connected it to my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos chip), laptop with the same result. Same when feeding it into my Topping L70 amp via L0.
Listened on Moondrop Variations, Truthear Zero, HD6xx, Sundara

Dec 21, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #1,830 of 2,221
I'm also hearing quite a few clicks and pops while music is playing, especially in the quieter passages. It's really a shame because I love the overall presentation but then it gets ruined by constant noise artifacts :frowning2:

I've tried multiple cables, connected it to my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra (Exynos chip), laptop with the same result. Same when feeding it into my Topping L70 amp via L0.
Listened on Moondrop Variations, Truthear Zero, HD6xx, Sundara
I plan to buy RU7 soon. When do i expect to hear these type of noise? When playing music or when i'm pausing the music player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back