Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Nov 1, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #1,726 of 2,179
For those interested, you can transform your RU7 into an excellent desktop DAC as well as say goodbye to problems regarding power consumption on the streamer (phone/tablet/pc). In addition to this you will have a marked improvement in the audio performance of the RU7 due to the physical separation between the data and power signals implemented by the hub. The kit consists of two pieces (which you can find on Amazon) to be connected as in the photo and in this order:

1) Connect the power bank to the hub
2) Connect the hub (via the long cable) to the streamer
3) Connect the dongle to the hub in the first available position next to the cable that takes the signal from the streamer

The parts are not chosen at random, so if you use other types of hubs and power-banks, the improvement and integrity of the RU7 is not guaranteed.

Example: The hub does not carry power to the streamer so it is safe even for use with a PC/MAC and the power-bank is equipped with an internal control chip to supply power even to small equipment so it regulates the current based on the dongle's request.

I and many of my friends use it with enormous satisfaction, if you want to try it you will be very satisfied.

sax.jpg

HUB 4 USB 60 cm:

https://www.amazon.com/Aceele-𝟏𝟎𝐆𝐛𝐩𝐬-Extender-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B0BZ471P5L/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1MMQRLZDD5I7S&keywords=aceele+usb+hub&qid=1698367218&sprefix=aceele+usb+hub+,aps,193&sr=8-5&th=1

POWERBANK:

https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Portabl...Flashlight/dp/B07YPY31FL?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
I have tried something like that but without the power bank.
The USB hub is connected to my phone, and the Jitterbug FMJ sits between the hub and RU6 on line out mode.
The preamp is XDUOO MT-601 and the amp is my Aune X7S.

This is definitely desktop audio territory.
The background is noticeably darker, like pitch black dark. Instruments separation is improved, same for soundstage and imaging.

Too bad that reviewers barely talk about the line out feature, it's the greatest thing about this dongle.

You can absolutely build your desktop setup around the RU7.

Nov 1, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #1,727 of 2,179
I have tried something like that but without the power bank.
The USB hub is connected to my phone, and the Jitterbug FMJ sits between the hub and RU6 on line out mode.
The preamp is XDUOO MT-601 and the amp is my Aune X7S.

This is definitely desktop audio territory.
The background is noticeably darker, like pitch black dark. Instruments separation is improved, same for soundstage and imaging.

Too bad that reviewers barely talk about the line out feature, it's the greatest thing about this dongle.

You can absolutely build your desktop setup around the RU7.
The hub I mentioned has a peculiarity and that is that it has a cable dedicated to the streamer which does not carry current so the signal has no interference related to the passage of current in the cable and does not always keep the streamer connected to the current so it can also be used in a PC USB and doesn't strain a phone's battery. Then the fact of powering everything via power bank eliminates all interference relating to the power supply. If you then want the maximum (when connected to the phone) you can deactivate the wireless and 4G by connecting this to the hub:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07M8GSLQB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Result: no unclean current, no mixing of current and signal in the cables, no harmful charging for the mobile phone, no antenna on (Wifi/4G LTE). Absolute black, absolute silence, absolute music. :wink:

Nov 1, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,729 of 2,179
The hub I mentioned has a peculiarity and that is that it has a cable dedicated to the streamer which does not carry current so the signal has no interference related to the passage of current in the cable and does not always keep the streamer connected to the current so it can also be used in a PC USB and doesn't strain a phone's battery. Then the fact of powering everything via power bank eliminates all interference relating to the power supply. If you then want the maximum (when connected to the phone) you can deactivate the wireless and 4G by connecting this to the hub:

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B07M8GSLQB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Result: no unclean current, no mixing of current and signal in the cables, no harmful charging for the mobile phone, no antenna on (Wifi/4G LTE). Absolute black, absolute silence, absolute music. :wink:

I know the purpose of the powerbank in your setup. It just isn't the most practical thing and a bit overkill amho. The USB hub I used has an Ethernet port, allowing me to turn my phone radio off. That is probably what provides the sound quality improvement.

Nov 3, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #1,732 of 2,179
iTunes (Apple Music) in LG Gram 17 Laptop (WIN 11) ->
LHY USB3.0 5V Power & Purifier ->
Cayin RU7 (LO, DSD128 or DSD256) ->
WeiLiang/BRZHIFI C-245 Pre-amp ->
Musmys A75 Pure Class-A Power Amp ->
ELAC B6.2 Loudspeakers + Kanto SUB6 Powered Subwoofer

Wow! Just wow~

LHY USB3.0 5V Power & Purifier (or similar) is a necessity in some serious sense: USB signals get purified and cleaner external 5V power is attached instead.

Chi-Fi stuff is getting more and more impressive nowadays IMHO...

PS: Have also bought and tried iFi iDefender+ with iPower X, iSilencer, and AudioQuest Jitterbug FMJ. LHY is definitely better than those in sound quality. (For my this very system, your milage may vary.)

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #1,733 of 2,179
iTunes (Apple Music) in Laptop (Windows 11) ->
LHY USB3.0 5V Power & Purifier ->
Cayin RU7 (LO, DSD256)->
Weiliang/BRZHIFI C-245 Pre-amp ->
Musmys A75 Pure Class-A Power Amp ->
ELAC B6.2 Loudspeakers + Kanto SUB6 Powered Subwoofer

Wow! Just wow~

LHY USB3.0 5V Power & Purifier is a necessity in some serious sense: USB signals get purified and cleaner external 5V power is attached instead.

Chi-Fi stuff is getting more and more impressive nowadays IMHO...

IMG_7457.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg
That's great, glad to see RU7 scales so well and responds to clean power.
I missed out on bidding for an Intona passive USB isolator, which also supports 5v power injection - I have a supercap power supply which I would love to try with RU7.
Good times.
I haven't explored DSD256 much yet - DSD128 hits the spot for me at the moment.

Nov 4, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,734 of 2,179
I would like to know how 32bit audio is processed internally by the RU7 ?

I use the new UAPP feature to unfold MQA songs on one device and cast them to a second one attached to my RU7. The result is a 32bit wav stream at 88.2 kHz for 44.1 kHz songs. The upscaling to 32bit sounds weird on some low frequencies.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,735 of 2,179

I use the new UAPP feature to unfold MQA songs on one device and cast them to a second one attached to my RU7. The result is a 32bit wav stream at 88.2 kHz for 44.1 kHz songs. The upscaling to 32bit sounds weird on some low frequencies.
I am intrigued by this too. Out of interest, what devices are you using?

Nov 6, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #1,736 of 2,179

RU7 adopts a hardware sampling chip solution to conduct the All-to-DSD function. Since RU7 does not have any CPU or processing power to analyze the incoming bitstream and determine the best option for different digital formats, everything will go through the conversion chip.

Theoretically, the 24-bit PCM and 32-bit PCM will go through the same sampling algorithm and be converted to DSD bitstream. The algorithm is relatively simple (when compared to DSD > PCM conversion the other way around). I can't be sure if the UAPP pre-processing will create something that causes problems with the sampling chip, but even if that is the case, I can't see any viable option since the All-to-DSD function is not software/firmware related. This is most unfortunate, but I don't want to hold you up indefinitely, hoping that the issue will be buried or forgotten.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 10, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,737 of 2,179
@Andykong I recently acquired an RU7 and have been extremely impressed, and just have a question please - is there any way to lock the RU7 in LO mode so that it automatically boots up in it without having switch from PO each time the dongle is inserted? Thanks.

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #1,738 of 2,179
@Andykong I recently acquired an RU7 and have been extremely impressed, and just have a question please - is there any way to lock the RU7 in LO mode so that it automatically boots up in it without having switch from PO each time the dongle is inserted? Thanks.
I think that the answer is NO because of the safety to avoid the case that you accidentally inject the earphones while in LO mode.

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #1,739 of 2,179
This unit looks very promising and user reviews are quite nice.

I just purchased an iphone 15 Pro Max. While I would love a more high end machine than my current dongle unit, I would like to verify that it connects properly the iphone over USB-C and that the iphone properly triggers DSD playback on the Cayin. Can somebody please chime in ?

My current dongle is the FIIO Q3-MQA. Not that I use for MQA, but that is the name of the unit. And it is not recognizing DSD streams that were no problem with my ipad that is lightning connected. The FIIO also talked nicely to my previous lightning iphone, but so far not the new USB-C phone. So I want to verify that it is a combination of that particular dongle with the iphone and not a problem with all dongles right now. Which would imply Apple either has a hardware design flaw or more likely a firmware update is needed.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:20 AM Post #1,740 of 2,179
For those interested, you can transform your RU7 into an excellent desktop DAC as well as say goodbye to problems regarding power consumption on the streamer (phone/tablet/pc). In addition to this you will have a marked improvement in the audio performance of the RU7 due to the physical separation between the data and power signals implemented by the hub. The kit consists of two pieces (which you can find on Amazon) to be connected as in the photo and in this order:

1) Connect the power bank to the hub
2) Connect the hub (via the long cable) to the streamer
3) Connect the dongle to the hub in the first available position next to the cable that takes the signal from the streamer

The parts are not chosen at random, so if you use other types of hubs and power-banks, the improvement and integrity of the RU7 is not guaranteed.

Example: The hub does not carry power to the streamer so it is safe even for use with a PC/MAC and the power-bank is equipped with an internal control chip to supply power even to small equipment so it regulates the current based on the dongle's request.

I and many of my friends use it with enormous satisfaction, if you want to try it you will be very satisfied.

sax.jpg

HUB 4 USB 60 cm:

https://www.amazon.com/Aceele-𝟏𝟎𝐆𝐛𝐩𝐬-Extender-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B0BZ471P5L/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1MMQRLZDD5I7S&keywords=aceele+usb+hub&qid=1698367218&sprefix=aceele+usb+hub+,aps,193&sr=8-5&th=1

POWERBANK:

https://www.amazon.com/INIU-Portabl...Flashlight/dp/B07YPY31FL?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1
Instead of the power bank above, what do you think of the topping P50 linear power supply to pair with the Cayin Ru7.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...g-d50-d50s-dx3-pro-d30?variant=29451976638524

Users who are viewing this thread

Back