Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Oct 27, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #1,711 of 2,221
I see you had or still have E1DA 9038D, how's RU7 is compared to E1DA 9038D soundwise?
Thank you.

E1DA 9038D has only 3.5 mm, and has less power than the RU7 on balanced.

The 9038D is much more sterile and analytical sounding, thinner in note weight and more technical. 9038D has smaller soundstage too.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #1,714 of 2,221
and many of my friends use it with enormous satisfaction, if you want to try it you will be very satisfied.

I'm using iFi iDefender+, there is a side usb c port that you can connect to DC adapter or powerbank to help the power distribution, eliminating the need to use a hub.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-27 230421.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-27 230421.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oct 29, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,715 of 2,221
My RU7

my experience with both is pretty similar. I’m still not sure which I like best though. The RU6 was one of the most transformative purchases I’ve ever made for my mobile rig.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #1,716 of 2,221
I see the RU7 as a somewhat more versatile, PnP option, whereas the RU6 rewards careful system building and patient, long listening sessions.
Both are keepers for me. Happy days.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #1,717 of 2,221
I see the RU7 as a somewhat more versatile, PnP option, whereas the RU6 rewards careful system building and patient, long listening sessions.
Both are keepers for me. Happy days.
Agreed. We definitely live in interesting times when a device so small can give such enjoyment.

Oct 29, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #1,718 of 2,221
The RU7 has changed my listening habits. I like my larger setups, but I need to be near them to use them.

I’m listening now on low gain with my Dunu Alpha 3 open earbuds, an interesting and enjoyable combination. Grado Hemps are getting more play, Campfire Cascades too. How little we really need, these days.

I’ve been using a 3 foot usb-c cable off my laptop and tablet. It doesn’t seem to alter the sound and makes it much easier to read the display and use the controls.

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #1,719 of 2,221
The recent posts about the possibility to use the line out feature with some IEMs directly plugged into the RU7 made me want to try a slightly less portable setup, but still manageable if you happen to have big hands and deep pockets, literally that is.

So, I took advantage of the line in feature on the FiiO Q3 and plugged the RU7 in line out mode into it.
The result is a huge improvement in soundstage compared to RU7 alone. I don't know if I'm ready to carry this chain on a daily basis while commuting, but sonically, this is amazing.

@Andykong I would really like a RU6 revision with a dedicated line out feature and the same volume controls as the RU7

Not gonna lie, I'm starting to look like this guy with this setup. At least, he still has hair !
This is interesting... My biggest problem with RU7 is trebble row off... Trebble feels a bit 2D to me.

Can you tell me if adding an external amp as Fiio Q3 helps bringing back those higher frequencies ?

Thanks!

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,720 of 2,221
This is interesting... My biggest problem with RU7 is trebble row off... Trebble feels a bit 2D to me.

Can you tell me if adding an external amp as Fiio Q3 helps bringing back those higher frequencies ?

Thanks!

The treble region on RU7 was never lacking to my ears. Could be me, because I really don't like bright sound.

What an external amp brings is mostly bigger sound in terms of soundstage and imaging.

When I use the Q3 with RU7 in line-out mode, I sometimes turn the Q3 bass boost on, sometimes not, depending on the track. Surprisingly, it sounds very good, whereas it sounds like crap with Q3's internal DAC.

Oct 30, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #1,721 of 2,221
The treble region on RU7 was never lacking to my ears. Could be me, because I really don't like bright sound.

What an external amp brings is mostly bigger sound in terms of soundstage and imaging.

When I use the Q3 with RU7 in line-out mode, I sometimes turn the Q3 bass boost on, sometimes not, depending on the track. Surprisingly, it sounds very good, whereas it sounds like crap with Q3's internal DAC.
This is my experience too. With the RU7 in LO mode, I sometimes switch the bass boost on the ZenCAN depending on the recording. For classical, the bass boost provides an expansion in soundstage. It also helps with the clarity on cellos, organs and lower frequencies.

Oct 30, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #1,723 of 2,221
I like mine mostly in LOW and 128. Depends on the cans.

Oct 30, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #1,724 of 2,221
Just bought the RU6 again after having sold it about a year ago and I cannot believe how good it is. Comparing it to the RU7 really is apples and oranges, it's a rich, bold contrast to the sound of the RU7 which is precise and neat as a pin. In fact, it's nice going back and forth to compare them since the RU6 can be fatiguing because of how emotionally engaging it is, so it's calming to switch to the RU7 where the music is presented to you like a painting you can enjoy from a distance.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #1,725 of 2,221
Just bought the RU6 again after having sold it about a year ago and I cannot believe how good it is. Comparing it to the RU7 really is apples and oranges, it's a rich, bold contrast to the sound of the RU7 which is clear and neat as a pin. In fact, it's nice going back and forth to compare them since the RU6 can be fatiguing because of how emotionally engaging it is, so it's calming to switch to the RU7 where the music is presented to you like a painting you can enjoy from a distance.
That's a great description, I think you have nailed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back