Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #1,741 of 2,178
This unit looks very promising and user reviews are quite nice.

I just purchased an iphone 15 Pro Max. While I would love a more high end machine than my current dongle unit, I would like to verify that it connects properly the iphone over USB-C and that the iphone properly triggers DSD playback on the Cayin. Can somebody please chime in ?

My current dongle is the FIIO Q3-MQA. Not that I use for MQA, but that is the name of the unit. And it is not recognizing DSD streams that were no problem with my ipad that is lightning connected. The FIIO also talked nicely to my previous lightning iphone, but so far not the new USB-C phone. So I want to verify that it is a combination of that particular dongle with the iphone and not a problem with all dongles right now. Which would imply Apple either has a hardware design flaw or more likely a firmware update is needed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...iphone_15_owners_any_luck_with_portable_dacs/

People in reddit say it works confirmed with RU7, ifi go blu, Qudelix 5k, FiiO K3, fiio btr3,

and this would be the cable you want if you want an upgrade

https://bloomaudio.com/products/ddh...46635&pr_ref_pid=6831064383563&pr_seq=uniform

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #1,742 of 2,178
@Andykong I recently acquired an RU7 and have been extremely impressed, and just have a question please - is there any way to lock the RU7 in LO mode so that it automatically boots up in it without having switch from PO each time the dongle is inserted? Thanks.
Sorry, we can't do that. Because the RU7 Line out is a pseudo-line out, it is actually a fixed level output (volume control disabled) from the phone out circuitry, it will produce extremely loud output with some IEMs. For safety's sake, we must revoke the LO setting back to phone out so that the Volume control of the RU7 remains active before you plug in "something" again.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 12, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,743 of 2,178
Instead of the power bank above, what do you think of the topping P50 linear power supply to pair with the Cayin Ru7.

https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...g-d50-d50s-dx3-pro-d30?variant=29451976638524
It depends on what you're looking for... the power bank gives you a clean sound, but perhaps the linear power supply gives you more power. But with the powerbank it's much cheaper and you can use the mod even without a power outlet... and in any case no one is stopping you from trying them both. :wink:

Nov 12, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #1,744 of 2,178
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...iphone_15_owners_any_luck_with_portable_dacs/

People in reddit say it works confirmed with RU7, ifi go blu, Qudelix 5k, FiiO K3, fiio btr3,

and this would be the cable you want if you want an upgrade

https://bloomaudio.com/products/ddh...46635&pr_ref_pid=6831064383563&pr_seq=uniform

Sorry to say this but there is no confirmation about passing DSD via DoP on the new iphones. In fact there is a comment or two saying that it isn't being passed. I am not sure if that is an iPhone issue or dongle issue. So I wanted to sort this out before purchasing the unit.

Andy; any thoughts or comments?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #1,745 of 2,178
Sorry to say this but there is no confirmation about passing DSD via DoP on the new iphones. In fact there is a comment or two saying that it isn't being passed. I am not sure if that is an iPhone issue or dongle issue. So I wanted to sort this out before purchasing the unit.

Andy; any thoughts or comments?

My major concern is whether the iPhone 15 still has the current limiting restriction, that's the major issue to the Dongle DAC sector, so I have put forward a request to test the compatibility of iPhone 15 with our Dongle DACs since they are publicly available. Unfortunately, the iPhone 15 is not as popular as the previous version, we are still waiting for a "free loan" sample via our regular channels.

Nov 12, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #1,746 of 2,178
My major concern is whether the iPhone 15 still has the current limiting restriction, that's the major issue to the Dongle DAC sector, so I have put forward a request to test the compatibility of iPhone 15 with our Dongle DACs since they are publicly available. Unfortunately, the iPhone 15 is not as popular as the previous version, we are still waiting for a "free loan" sample via our regular channels.
Please ask your team to check that that DSD is handled properly.
Everything I hear about this Cayin device is very strong. I hope it all checks out well with DSD. Or if it does not, hopefully top vendors like Cayin can work with Apple to smooth out the firmware if needed.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,747 of 2,178
Please ask your team to check that that DSD is handled properly.
Everything I hear about this Cayin device is very strong. I hope it all checks out well with DSD. Or if it does not, hopefully top vendors like Cayin can work with Apple to smooth out the firmware if needed.

Work with Apple? Ask them to smooth out their firmware? :sweat_smile:

I don't think Apple cares about the audiophile sector, otherwise, they would have continued the iPod series at some point.
They have their own ecosystem, and we are not part of it, at least Cayin is not part of it.
If you want Apple to change something in their product, you need a much bigger market influence, a stakeholder in their ecosystem that they need their partnership.
Users, vendors, and manufacturers have expressed discontent with their current limiting practice in previous generations of iPhones, did they do anything about it? do they care?

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #1,748 of 2,178
Andy, your point is noted.

New information, I just discovered that my current DAC (not nearly as nice as the RU7) can in fact handle DSD with the proper software. Its not just having DoP; there must be some nuances.

What wasn't working: HiBy Music
What seems to work: Everplay

I imagine other apps work also but some that I tested were not working out.

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #1,749 of 2,178
It depends on what you're looking for... the power bank gives you a clean sound, but perhaps the linear power supply gives you more power. But with the powerbank it's much cheaper and you can use the mod even without a power outlet... and in any case no one is stopping you from trying them both. :wink:
I just purchased the Cayin Ru7 from the Aliexpress 11.11 sale and was curious if I should also purchase a linear power supply.
Perhaps someone using a linear power supply to power the Cayinn Ru7 could chime in.
Also purchased the Aceele USB hub from Amazon so I can try your desktop setup with the Cayin Ru7 when it arrives.
Thanks for the idea Polky74.

Nov 13, 2023 at 1:29 AM Post #1,750 of 2,178
Andy, your point is noted.

New information, I just discovered that my current DAC (not nearly as nice as the RU7) can in fact handle DSD with the proper software. Its not just having DoP; there must be some nuances.

What wasn't working: HiBy Music
What seems to work: Everplay

I imagine other apps work also but some that I tested were not working out.

Glad to know, let's see if Everplay + iPhone15 + RU7 will work out.

Maybe we need to try other Music Player App as well, DSD handling indeed varied among different players.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #1,751 of 2,178
Since I don't have iPhone 15, wonder if anybody can confirm if a "regular" iPhone 15 Pro works with RU7? I had a few questions with people asking me about it (and the same with W4). I see comments about iPhone 15 Pro MAX working without a problem with RU7, but I don't see any confirmation about iPhone 15 Pro (non-MAX) compatibility. Anybody?

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #1,752 of 2,178
Since I don't have iPhone 15, wonder if anybody can confirm if a "regular" iPhone 15 Pro works with RU7? I had a few questions with people asking me about it (and the same with W4). I see comments about iPhone 15 Pro MAX working without a problem with RU7, but I don't see any confirmation about iPhone 15 Pro (non-MAX) compatibility. Anybody?
I’ve been using my 15 Pro with my RU7 with no issues whatsoever.

Nov 18, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #1,753 of 2,178

Same here. The RU7 works perfectly with my iPhone 15 Pro, even in DSD256 mode. It works better than my iPhone 12 Pro (Lightning connector), which would stutter in DSD256 depending on the cable and volume level.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #1,754 of 2,178
Hi everyone. I current wanted to buy an upgrade, portable source from my DC04 Pro. I want to keep only one portable. I want to ask, is the Cayin RU7 better than some of the old mid to high end daps?
Some of the current dap candidates that fits in my budget are: Shanling M6 Pro, Hiby RS2, Hiby R6 Pro Stainless Steel, Fiio M11 Pro. SQ wise, would you say the RU7 comparable to these, or all those daps just straight up beat the RU7?

Nov 20, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,755 of 2,178
Hi everyone. I current wanted to buy an upgrade, portable source from my DC04 Pro. I want to keep only one portable. I want to ask, is the Cayin RU7 better than some of the old mid to high end daps?
Some of the current dap candidates that fits in my budget are: Shanling M6 Pro, Hiby RS2, Hiby R6 Pro Stainless Steel, Fiio M11 Pro. SQ wise, would you say the RU7 comparable to these, or all those daps just straight up beat the RU7?

I don't own a DAP to compare it directly to the RU7. But because RU7 has a line out feature, you can use it with a portable amp of your choice, like I use mine with my FiiO Q3.
It remains as portable as a DAP depending on your amp size and I bet it sounds just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back