Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #6,706 of 8,202
It's a bit of an adventure to get to PL. First, I had to revisit my old reviews as a reference to figure out which one is the latest P2 vs PL because they look close enough, then I had to find micro-usb cable to charge PL :D

Overall, they have a similar natural tonality, leaning more toward the warmer organic side of tuning. But there are someb differences. N6ii/R01 soundstage spreads a little wider L to R, and also R01 has a noticeably better imaging where sounds are more spread/separated in space while in PL they are closer together toward the center. Also, tested with Traillii, the bass has a little more boost with PL. Another noticeable difference is R01 having a blacker background.
I will bite whenever there are soundstages and imaging!!! lol!!! But in this case, I will wait for the Next flagship to have a LO where I can use with C9 too

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #6,707 of 8,202
It's a bit of an adventure to get to PL. First, I had to revisit my old reviews as a reference to figure out which one is the latest P2 vs PL because they look close enough, then I had to find micro-usb cable to charge PL :D

Overall, they have a similar natural tonality, leaning more toward the warmer organic side of tuning. But there are someb differences. N6ii/R01 soundstage spreads a little wider L to R, and also R01 has a noticeably better imaging where sounds are more spread/separated in space while in PL they are closer together toward the center. Also, tested with Traillii, the bass has a little more boost with PL. Another noticeable difference is R01 having a blacker background.
Great, thanks for making the effort :)

PL is actually the only Plenue I haven’t owned so far (apart from D3 and J, which I presume are much the same as D2 and D). It seems I can get either PL or N6ii w/ R01 for about the same price here 2nd hand. Tough call. But I am curious about this language-defying R2R that everyone goes on about. The Ti version also looks impressive, but about 2-2.5x the price of the standard model second hand.

PS. Fully agree the PL should just have been called the P3!

Jul 12, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #6,708 of 8,202
Great, thanks for making the effort :)

PL is actually the only Plenue I haven’t owned so far (apart from D3 and J, which I presume are much the same as D2 and D). It seems I can get either PL or N6ii w/ R01 for about the same price here 2nd hand. Tough call. But I am curious about this language-defying R2R that everyone goes on about. The Ti version also looks impressive, but about 2-2.5x the price of the standard model second hand.

PS. Fully agree the PL should just have been called the P3!

Both (PL and N6ii/R01) are 2 year old DAPs. One is Android with modular design and access to streaming apps, and superior performance relative to IEMs.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #6,709 of 8,202
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #6,710 of 8,202
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #6,711 of 8,202
Has anyone had any issues running DAC mode with upsampling? Currently using a dedicated HQ-PC w/ HQPlayer upsampling to 384khz and I'm experiencing random drop outs. I wanna say it's a buffering issue but i tried adjusting the buffer in HQPlayer with no dice. I also run the same setup with my DMP-Z1 with no issues.
PC is hardwired with a i9-9900k and 16gb of RAM.

Jul 13, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #6,712 of 8,202
Has anyone had any issues running DAC mode with upsampling? Currently using a dedicated HQ-PC w/ HQPlayer upsampling to 384khz and I'm experiencing random drop outs. I wanna say it's a buffering issue but i tried adjusting the buffer in HQPlayer with no dice. I also run the same setup with my DMP-Z1 with no issues.

Mine does that without upsampling but at 24bit 96Khz and 192Khz. I though it was caused by the source (2go with 2yu) but now with your findings I'm starting to think that N6ii USB DAC mode may be a bit broken.

Jul 13, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #6,713 of 8,202
Mine does that without upsampling but at 24bit 96Khz and 192Khz. I though it was caused by the source (2go with 2yu) but now with your findings I'm starting to think that N6ii USB DAC mode may be a bit broken.
Thanks for confirming, I didn't have any issues on the previous software. @Andykong Is there something we can do to resolve the sampling issues?

Jul 13, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #6,714 of 8,202
Hi All,

I am new to the "IEM/DAP/Audiophile" world and I was recently introduced to it by my partner in crime @TomKorn (thanks Tom!). I am currently looking for a new DAP to pair with the Empire Ears Odin and Valkyrie MK II. In relation to the Cayin N6ii with the R01 Board and the iBasso DX300, has anyone had the chance to compare the overall sound quality of the two and if so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Joshyy

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #6,715 of 8,202
Hi All,

I am new to the "IEM/DAP/Audiophile" world and I was recently introduced to it by my partner in crime @TomKorn (thanks Tom!). I am currently looking for a new DAP to pair with the Empire Ears Odin and Valkyrie MK II. In relation to the Cayin N6ii with the R01 Board and the iBasso DX300, has anyone had the chance to compare the overall sound quality of the two and if so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Joshyy
I haven’t heard the DX300 but I can say that the Cayin N6ii/R01 is so good that I now use it more frequently than my A&K SP2000Cu. That’s pretty high praise as the SP2000 is an incredible DAP.

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #6,717 of 8,202
We are rolling out R01 in our factory ptoduction line as we speak. All dealer orders will be fulfilled within next few days, and there will be some inventory to filfill new orders. Not a lot to be honest, and we don't see any opportunity for third production batch of R01.

The COVID-19 turned the world upside down during the N6ii period, and the AKM fire turn the portable audio community upside down at almost the same time. Everybody in this industry is trying their best to cope with these dramatic changes. We are glad that the N6ii story ends gracefully. For a 2019 launched DAP, N6ii has achieved way beyond our original projection, and we hope the same applied to our N6ii users.

Enjoy your music, live your live well. With Cayin, you journey of sound will never be the same again. :beerchug:

mmexport1626227383258.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #6,718 of 8,202
Hi All,

Thanks in advance,
Joshyy
my friend said he put his dx300 for sale instantly when he heard the r01 so...

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #6,719 of 8,202
Let me clarify this first, you can play an original 192kHz and 384kHz sound track from your PC to N6ii in USB DAC mode properly, but you can't playback an up-sampled 384kHz sound track because of drop out?

Did you try different up-sampling combination? Did you try 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz up-sampled to 384kHz?

Did you try to manipulate the buffer of Cayin USB Audio Control Panel?

1626241297003.png

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #6,720 of 8,202
I’m very excited for the second batch of R01 to arrive domestically. I’ve become addicted to that R-2R sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back