Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #6,721 of 8,202
Let me clarify this first, you can play an original 192kHz and 384kHz sound track properly, but you can't playback an upsampled 384kHz sound track because of drop out?

Did you try different upsampling combination? From 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 upsampled to 384?

Did you try to manipulate the buffer of Cayin USB audio driver?
Hi Andy,
I tried using both 44.1k and 48k files and upsampling them to 352 and 384 in HQPlayer. Most times the song would play, but there are moments where it would cut in and out.
I also tested out NOS, and it played fine without any issues.
I did try and change the buffer on both HQPlayer and the Cayin USB driver app and could not find an acceptable medium where it wouldn't cut out.
If I recall from the previous firmware version I never noticed this problem and it played fine.
Thanks

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #6,722 of 8,202
Hi All,

I am new to the "IEM/DAP/Audiophile" world and I was recently introduced to it by my partner in crime @TomKorn (thanks Tom!). I am currently looking for a new DAP to pair with the Empire Ears Odin and Valkyrie MK II. In relation to the Cayin N6ii with the R01 Board and the iBasso DX300, has anyone had the chance to compare the overall sound quality of the two and if so, which one would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Joshyy
I didn’t heard DX300, but can definitely confirm that Empire Ears Legend X sounds best with R01 R2R module on Cayin N6ii. I have tried several sources including Centrance m8 mk2, Alo Audio CDM and Cayin A01/E01, but R01 gives most natural and engage sound delighting the ears. As of Odin based on technology used in Legend X, I would expect same or even more matching pair with R01.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #6,723 of 8,202
Hi Andy,
I tried using both 44.1k and 48k files and upsampling them to 352 and 384 in HQPlayer. Most times the song would play, but there are moments where it would cut in and out.
I also tested out NOS, and it played fine without any issues.
I did try and change the buffer on both HQPlayer and the Cayin USB driver app and could not find an acceptable medium where it wouldn't cut out.
If I recall from the previous firmware version I never noticed this problem and it played fine.
Thanks

This is strange, which firmware did you try previously without any problem? We didn't touch any coding related to the USB Audio for a very long time, all recent update are related to new audio motherboard release or cosmetic changes. If there is any change in software, I bet the Windows updates might cause more problems. Microsoft is quite famous in changing their USB driver support without prior notice, and USB Audio 2.0 support and compatibly is the least they care. If your system is working properly but is not recently, maybe you can go through the window updated history carefully, check if there is any related updates slip through your attention.

When you said up-sampling to 384kHz, I assume you are using HQPlayer to upsample your music file to 384kHz in REAL TIME, not pre-converted? If you are using a PC as your source and perform real-time up-sampling, you need to monitor the hardware status, quite often when there the CPU or memory loading is too high, or when there is uncontrolled interrupt from other background process, it will create the momentary pause that are very similar to your description.

Technically, bitstream is a bitstream, if N6ii can playback native 352.8kHz and 383kHz, that means the USB drivers can handle the Hi-Res coding properly. If your 384kHz up-sampling is performed correctly, the up-sampled bitstream should be decoded like any NOS bitstream.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:25 AM Post #6,724 of 8,202
We are rolling out R01 in our factory ptoduction line as we speak. All dealer orders will be fulfilled within next few days, and there will be some inventory to filfill new orders. Not a lot to be honest, and we don't see any opportunity for third production batch of R01.

The COVID-19 turned the world upside down during the N6ii period, and the AKM fire turn the portable audio community upside down at almost the same time. Everybody in this industry is trying their best to cope with these dramatic changes. We are glad that the N6ii story ends gracefully. For a 2019 launched DAP, N6ii has achieved way beyond our original projection, and we hope the same applied to our N6ii users.

Enjoy your music, live your live well. With Cayin, you journey of sound will never be the same again. :beerchug:

I am just counting the sleeps until my R-01 card arrives!
All of you lucky head-fier’s who have posted their glowing sound impressions have me completely salivating in anticipation. And, I am sure that I am not the only one anxiously awaiting their new wundercard?!

I have had my new C-9 for ten days now and completely loving the expanded soundstage and wonderful class A and both the solid state and Nu-tube signatures. The build and sound quality is absolutely excellent I totally feel this expensive piece of kit is worth every hard earned dollar. The C-9 has taken all of my Dap players to a whole new level and my Empyreans have never sounded so good. on the other hand, my Heddphones don’t seem to be propelled as much into further greatness with the C-9 pairing, imho. My Campfire Equinox just ooze smoothness, deep bass and gorgeous mids with the C-9, and my Noble custom K10’s have become way more holographic.
Stuff that sounds this amazing is why I became, and remain an audiophile since I bought my first B&O turntable at age 12, in 1977.
Thanks Cayin for bringing more affordable R2R to market as well as cutting edge products like the C-9 to market.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #6,725 of 8,202
We are rolling out R01 in our factory ptoduction line as we speak. All dealer orders will be fulfilled within next few days, and there will be some inventory to filfill new orders. Not a lot to be honest, and we don't see any opportunity for third production batch of R01.

The COVID-19 turned the world upside down during the N6ii period, and the AKM fire turn the portable audio community upside down at almost the same time. Everybody in this industry is trying their best to cope with these dramatic changes. We are glad that the N6ii story ends gracefully. For a 2019 launched DAP, N6ii has achieved way beyond our original projection, and we hope the same applied to our N6ii users.

Enjoy your music, live your live well. With Cayin, you journey of sound will never be the same again. :beerchug:

mmexport1626227383258.jpg
Congrats to you and Cayin on the success of this - the impressions speak for themselves and without wishing to sound gushy, you've done the community a great job in making R2R available in DAP form at a reasonable price. Cheers! :pray:

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #6,726 of 8,202
All the new High End DAPs:

storm.gif

Cayin N6ii:

luke.gif

Jul 14, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #6,727 of 8,202
I haven’t heard the DX300 but I can say that the Cayin N6ii/R01 is so good that I now use it more frequently than my A&K SP2000Cu. That’s pretty high praise as the SP2000 is an incredible DAP.
Wow that's a big call! How would you describe the difference in sound between the Cayin n6ii+r01 versus the AK SP2000Cu that makes you keep going back for the Cayin n6ii?
Its better than my M8. Which are words I didn’t expect to utter anytime soon.
Thanks for the comment and interesting to see how good it actually is.
my friend said he put his dx300 for sale instantly when he heard the r01 so...
Haha thanks for the comment. Hopefully I avoid this situation myself in the future :D

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #6,728 of 8,202
This is strange, which firmware did you try previously without any problem? We didn't touch any coding related to the USB Audio for a very long time, all recent update are related to new audio motherboard release or cosmetic changes. If there is any change in software, I bet the Windows updates might cause more problems. Microsoft is quite famous in changing their USB driver support without prior notice, and USB Audio 2.0 support and compatibly is the least they care. If your system is working properly but is not recently, maybe you can go through the window updated history carefully, check if there is any related updates slip through your attention.

When you said up-sampling to 384kHz, I assume you are using HQPlayer to upsample your music file to 384kHz in REAL TIME, not pre-converted? If you are using a PC as your source and perform real-time up-sampling, you need to monitor the hardware status, quite often when there the CPU or memory loading is too high, or when there is uncontrolled interrupt from other background process, it will create the momentary pause that are very similar to your description.

Technically, bitstream is a bitstream, if N6ii can playback native 352.8kHz and 383kHz, that means the USB drivers can handle the Hi-Res coding properly. If your 384kHz up-sampling is performed correctly, the up-sampled bitstream should be decoded like any NOS bitstream.
Thanks @Andykong, I did an update recently with windows and will check that first.
I checked task manager and monitored CPU performance, but utilization was low. I'll also attempt to uninstall and reinstall the Cayin drivers and see if that helps.

Jul 14, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #6,729 of 8,202
I didn’t heard DX300, but can definitely confirm that Empire Ears Legend X sounds best with R01 R2R module on Cayin N6ii. I have tried several sources including Centrance m8 mk2, Alo Audio CDM and Cayin A01/E01, but R01 gives most natural and engage sound delighting the ears. As of Odin based on technology used in Legend X, I would expect same or even more matching pair with R01.

The ibasso dx300 amp12 module is also known for being a great pairing with the EE Odin.

I wonder if they share aspects of presentation.

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #6,731 of 8,202

Thanks for the photos. Increases the anticipation some more. When can we expect the North American distributors to get them?

It would be a good idea for Cayin to hold on to the extra R01 cards as reserve/replacement cards for those that have already bought R01, if it needs to be replaced for any issues that couldn't be fixed.

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #6,734 of 8,202

Thanks for the info Andy!

The A02 and R01 boards are both staggering achievements and show Cayin's excellent commitment to their customer base which I, for one, am incredibly grateful for. The R01 board has breathed a whole new life into the N6ii and has elevated it to my favourite DAP, trumping even my A&K SP2000Cu (which, is, in itself, an amazing DAP).

The C9 and N6ii really do show how far Cayin are pushing the envelope in portable audio and that's especially commendable given the difficulties the industry has been facing in the last 2 years.

I may be a recent convert to Cayin but I'm definitely going to be a longstanding one. Keep up the great work!

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #6,735 of 8,202
The N6ii/R01 has this very rich, organic, analogue-style sound whilst retaining incredible levels of detail and imaging within an impressive stage. It's a 'fuller' and slightly warmer sound than the Sp2000Cu, whilst retaining a similar level of detail. I hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back