Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #4,921 of 8,191
N6ii with MQA Playback 02.png

The MQA is a long awaited features in N6ii, we are glad that we can finally deliver this feature to the N6ii users. :beerchug: :beerchug:

we have received numerous requests (HERE, HERE and HERE) or even complaints for MQA (or lack of MQA) support since we launch the N6ii. Cayin is determined to add MQA support to N6ii since the product launch. However we can't promote or making any claim regarding MQA before the product is authenticated, so we only have two choices, we can ignore all inquiry completely, or claimed that we don't plan to do that (HERE), otherwise the same question will keep coming up day after day.

Anyway, the wait is over, all FOUR audio motherboards are authenticated. We have submit the OTA firmware upgrade request to Qualcomm, and we'll issue office firmware release information on our website, Facebook, and this thread as soon as the OTA is scheduled.

N6ii with MQA Song List.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Aug 31, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #4,922 of 8,191
N6ii with MQA Playback 02.png
The MQA is a long awaited features in N6ii, we are glad that we can finally deliver this feature to the N6ii users. :beerchug: :beerchug:

we have received numerous requests (HERE, HERE and HERE) or even complaints for MQA (or lack of MQA) support since we launch the N6ii. Cayin is determined to add MQA support to N6ii since the product launch. However we can't promote or making any claim regarding MQA before the product is authenticated, so we only have two choices, we can ignore all inquiry completely, or claimed that we don't plan to do that (HERE), otherwise the same question will keep coming up day after day.

Anyway, the wait is over, all FOUR audio motherboards are authenticated. We have submit the OTA firmware upgrade request to Qualcomm, and we'll issue office firmware release information on our website, Facebook, and this thread as soon as the OTA is scheduled.

N6ii with MQA Song List.png

I was just gonna say that you mentioned in the past that Cayin has no plans to make MQA available on N6ii....so it was deliberate then :grinning:

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #4,923 of 8,191
I was just gonna say that you mentioned in the past that Cayin has no plans to make MQA available on N6ii....so it was deliberate then :grinning:

Well, do I have other options? :sweat_smile:

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #4,924 of 8,191
xP4hdye.jpg

N6ii adds MQA decoder in the next firmware update

After months of cooperation with MQA, we can now announce that MQA will come to N6ii with the next firmware.

You can find our official Press Release on our official website.

All four existed Audio Motherboards will support MQA decoding, while A01, E01, and E02 will support 8x MQA decoding, T01 will support 4x MQA due to the limitation of PCM1792A DAC chipset.

The new firmware will be available ASAP, please stay tuned for the update.
Yes!! 100x 👍 Like

I’m so looking forward to this.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #4,925 of 8,191
What is the current latest firmware number? Is it 3.18.71 or 1.22 (depending on what I’m looking at)?

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #4,926 of 8,191
I think 3.18.71 is the Android Kernel version.

Looking under "Settings -> System -> Wireless Update" my device shows "N6MK2Int_1.18EN_20191104_2052" which sounds pretty descriptive to me :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #4,927 of 8,191

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #4,928 of 8,191
I guess I need to update, lol. OTA check said it's up to date at 1.18...

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #4,929 of 8,191
c0r08oM.jpg

Announcement of Cayin N6ii firmware v2.0EN

1. Added MQA support for all existed Audio Motherboards;

1-1. A01, E01, E02 support 8x MQA Decoding (up to 384kHz);

1-2. T01 supports 4x MQA Decoding (up to 192kHz), due to the limitation of the PCM1792A DAC chipset.

2. Added MQA music playback support for Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app.

3. MQA compatible music apps are able to play MQA files on N6ii.

4. Added MQA support in USB DAC IN mode.

5. Updated HiBy Music App to support online playback with business OneDrive accounts and new HiBy Music 4.0 UI.

6. Other bugs fixed and system optimization.

For more information and update procedures of the firmware, please click HERE to visit Cayin's official website.

You can also download the firmware file directly from Google Drive HERE.

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #4,930 of 8,191
The new firmware release with MQA support is very exciting news!

I have a question related to S/PDIF output via coax. I am looking to get as much value from this brilliant little Cayin N6ii DAP as possible. Currently I'm using it as a simple DAP with headphones and as a digital transport via I2S for my bedside headphones system. Now I want to connect it up to my old speaker-based HiFi system. The integrated amp I have has a coaxial digital input.

I believe I need the Cayin CS 30TCR Type-C to RCA Coaxial Cable and then connect up my N6ii with my integrated amp. I then set the output type to S/PDIF. Could @Andykong or @CayinSupport confirm this please?

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #4,931 of 8,191
c0r08oM.jpg

Announcement of Cayin N6ii firmware v2.0EN

1. Added MQA support for all existed Audio Motherboards;

1-1. A01, E01, E02 support 8x MQA Decoding (up to 384kHz);

1-2. T01 supports 4x MQA Decoding (up to 192kHz), due to the limitation of the PCM1792A DAC chipset.

2. Added MQA music playback support for Cayin Music app and HiBy Music app.

3. MQA compatible music apps are able to play MQA files on N6ii.

4. Added MQA support in USB DAC IN mode.

5. Other bugs fixed and system optimization

For more information and update procedures of the firmware, please click HERE to visit Cayin's official website.

You can also download the firmware file directly from Google Drive HERE.
This is excellent news.

I am currently in the office working and so I don’t have the N6ii with me. Has anyone else updated the firmware and tried some MQA tracks?

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #4,932 of 8,191
The new firmware release with MQA support is very exciting news!

I have a question related to S/PDIF output via coax. I am looking to get as much value from this brilliant little Cayin N6ii DAP as possible. Currently I'm using it as a simple DAP with headphones and as a digital transport via I2S for my bedside headphones system. Now I want to connect it up to my old speaker-based HiFi system. The integrated amp I have has a coaxial digital input.

I believe I need the Cayin CS 30TCR Type-C to RCA Coaxial Cable and then connect up my N6ii with my integrated amp. I then set the output type to S/PDIF. Could @Andykong or @CayinSupport confirm this please?

Yes, that's how it works. I can't say if the cable you mention works though as I use the HiBy Type-C to 3.5mm Coaxial Cable for HiBy R3 Pro Music Player cable myself.

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #4,933 of 8,191
This is excellent news.

I am currently in the office working and so I don’t have the N6ii with me. Has anyone else updated the firmware and tried some MQA tracks?

I have, the update went OK. I'm currently playing an MQA track that Cayin music says is a 192Khz track but in the notification bar it says 96Khz. This is with my E01 module, so I'm not sure if that is correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back