Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 29, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #1,726 of 8,192
Aug 30, 2019 at 7:35 AM Post #1,727 of 8,192
Joined the club recently. My expectations are totally met and even exceeded - timbre-rich and juicy sound with grand imaging. Lots of emotions and drive make you move and shake your head even if you are not willing to...) GUI is fast and furious.... Very impressed so far.
Cayin N6II_1551.jpg

Aug 30, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #1,728 of 8,192
If the 1Z actually sounded like that why would anybody sell it ?

I did sell it because it lacked power to drive some IEMs properly... this is the weak side of the 1Z...

Very interested in the N6ii, I wished they did plan to release a NuTube motherboard / card though... maybe they don't want to hurt the N8 sales :p

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #1,730 of 8,192
quite excited, mine arrives next week, a01 for now, and as i think many are hoping, im looking for a nutube implementation and hopefully a dual ess 9038pro motherboard, for now i think im quite excited for my purchase, wondering if should i sell or not my Hiby r6pro

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #1,731 of 8,192
I cant decide on the wm1a or n6ii :frowning2: wm1a can function as a dac amp through ur phone which eliminates the purpose of needing a dap with Google play etc. But cayin is future proof has more power and has everything you need except a mobile connection.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #1,732 of 8,192
I cant decide on the wm1a or n6ii :frowning2: wm1a can function as a dac amp through ur phone which eliminates the purpose of needing a dap with Google play etc. But cayin is future proof has more power and has everything you need except a mobile connection.
Do what most did , get the Sony first then sell the Sony to get the N6II.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #1,733 of 8,192
I coudl get rid of my Hiby, but I cannot get rid of my Sony, its a really special dap, just my 2 cents

Aug 30, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #1,734 of 8,192
Got my n6ii in earlier today and have put a number of hours on it already.

Source gear I was coming from before was a fiio m9 and a chord mojo/poly. I owned the mojo first and really liked it, but found myself frustrated with the rf interference and that it always felt a bit cumbersome for use out and about. The poly was supposed to be the fix, but it had many issues for a long time (its much improved now) but still has some issues that cant be fixed, not to mention it added its own really bad wifi interference too. The m9 was my attempt to get a more modern dap, but the sound quality for me always felt like it had this very very slight harsh edge to it and the closed down android system was very limiting. I had been considering some other mid tier daps like the fiio m11, or potentially the pro, as well as the hiby r5, but I found myself wondering if I would just have the scratch to upgrade yet again in a year or two. So I found myself here with the n6ii. And I certainly hope it will provide some longevity, being what seems to be in a higher class (maybe not quite totl), but also with the swappable motherboards. I have some slight concerns about what happens when the android version its running gets out of date, but since its oreo, that likely wont happen for a while. Just hoping that this is a relatively future proof purchase.

As for some sound impressions. It may just be my brain creating justifications for the high price, but sound is wonderful and definitely feels like a step up to me over the mojo, even if it is relatively subtle (I mean we are playing in the margins here). I also do not have any super super high end headphones to listen with, but I think what I do have are certainly high quality (excepting the ca atlas, which was definitely pricey). Sound just feels very smooth and natural, yet very resolving and detailed. Its very pleasant to listen to. I am not really the best to judge soundstage and imaging. Other than the very high price, I am quite happy with this purchase, and can definitely see myself getting a lot of use out of this. The open android system with google play store is definitely nice and being able to load whatever player I want is great. The interface is quite smooth too and being an android user, its very familiar.

I do however hear some of the interference that was talked about on here through the balanced 4.4 jack with wifi on (and streaming), though it seems to be very dependent on the headphone used. Most of my listening today has been with the obravo cupid through the 2.5 to 4.4 adapter. I do not really hear any interference with the cupids (if its there, its quiet enough to really not register). However, swapping the cable out to the CA Atlas, and its fairly noticeable, though angling the cable away from the dap does seem to help. I was also reading someone mentioning a bit of a hiss and a click when music stops playing while streaming, and I have noticed that too (on both se and balanced). Whether it will bother me, I do not know. I do not hear any interference when using 3.5, and I am not sure I can pickup any real sound quality differences between se and balanced (though I know lots of people swear by balanced, even on IEMs) so might not be an issue at all really. A bit disappointing that there is interference there, especially as it was one of my main issues with the mojo and poly, but its definitely not as bad as those were.

Either way, I am pretty happy with this purchase so far, though it does almost make me feel like maybe I need more top end stuff to really appreciate it... Hah, maybe not.

Anyways, here is a bonus photo of the n6ii and the obravo cupid I have been listening to for the last couple days.

MVIMG_20190830_123131.jpg

Aug 30, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #1,735 of 8,192
Got my n6ii in earlier today and have put a number of hours on it already.

Source gear I was coming from before was a fiio m9 and a chord mojo/poly. I owned the mojo first and really liked it, but found myself frustrated with the rf interference and that it always felt a bit cumbersome for use out and about. The poly was supposed to be the fix, but it had many issues for a long time (its much improved now) but still has some issues that cant be fixed, not to mention it added its own really bad wifi interference too. The m9 was my attempt to get a more modern dap, but the sound quality for me always felt like it had this very very slight harsh edge to it and the closed down android system was very limiting. I had been considering some other mid tier daps like the fiio m11, or potentially the pro, as well as the hiby r5, but I found myself wondering if I would just have the scratch to upgrade yet again in a year or two. So I found myself here with the n6ii. And I certainly hope it will provide some longevity, being what seems to be in a higher class (maybe not quite totl), but also with the swappable motherboards. I have some slight concerns about what happens when the android version its running gets out of date, but since its oreo, that likely wont happen for a while. Just hoping that this is a relatively future proof purchase.

As for some sound impressions. It may just be my brain creating justifications for the high price, but sound is wonderful and definitely feels like a step up to me over the mojo, even if it is relatively subtle (I mean we are playing in the margins here). I also do not have any super super high end headphones to listen with, but I think what I do have are certainly high quality (excepting the ca atlas, which was definitely pricey). Sound just feels very smooth and natural, yet very resolving and detailed. Its very pleasant to listen to. I am not really the best to judge soundstage and imaging. Other than the very high price, I am quite happy with this purchase, and can definitely see myself getting a lot of use out of this. The open android system with google play store is definitely nice and being able to load whatever player I want is great. The interface is quite smooth too and being an android user, its very familiar.

I do however hear some of the interference that was talked about on here through the balanced 4.4 jack with wifi on (and streaming), though it seems to be very dependent on the headphone used. Most of my listening today has been with the obravo cupid through the 2.5 to 4.4 adapter. I do not really hear any interference with the cupids (if its there, its quiet enough to really not register). However, swapping the cable out to the CA Atlas, and its fairly noticeable, though angling the cable away from the dap does seem to help. I was also reading someone mentioning a bit of a hiss and a click when music stops playing while streaming, and I have noticed that too (on both se and balanced). Whether it will bother me, I do not know. I do not hear any interference when using 3.5, and I am not sure I can pickup any real sound quality differences between se and balanced (though I know lots of people swear by balanced, even on IEMs) so might not be an issue at all really. A bit disappointing that there is interference there, especially as it was one of my main issues with the mojo and poly, but its definitely not as bad as those were.

Either way, I am pretty happy with this purchase so far, though it does almost make me feel like maybe I need more top end stuff to really appreciate it... Hah, maybe not.

Anyways, here is a bonus photo of the n6ii and the obravo cupid I have been listening to for the last couple days.

Thank you for your impression, I’m looking forward to get my hands on mine, on something totally irrelevant, I find really annoying the Cupid cable, more cause of the proprietary socket they have, actually that cable hurts a bit my upper ear

Aug 31, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,736 of 8,192
Thank you for your impression, I’m looking forward to get my hands on mine, on something totally irrelevant, I find really annoying the Cupid cable, more cause of the proprietary socket they have, actually that cable hurts a bit my upper ear

I actually like the cable for the most part, except that the connectors are so long on the earphone side. Due to the shape of my ear, I have to wear them with the connectors facing more to the front than up (or else they hurt the bottom of my ear quite a bit, also still tip rolling to find something that doesnt leave a pressure point on my antitragus, which inevitably hurts after a little while). This means that wrapping the cable around my ear puts it at a bit of an odd angle with a gap. Other than that, pretty stellar iem for the price, but I agree, the proprietary mmcx is kind of annoying. To wrap it back around to the topic at hand though, they sound pretty great out of the n6ii.

Aug 31, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #1,737 of 8,192
I actually like the cable for the most part, except that the connectors are so long on the earphone side. Due to the shape of my ear, I have to wear them with the connectors facing more to the front than up (or else they hurt the bottom of my ear quite a bit, also still tip rolling to find something that doesnt leave a pressure point on my antitragus, which inevitably hurts after a little while). This means that wrapping the cable around my ear puts it at a bit of an odd angle with a gap. Other than that, pretty stellar iem for the price, but I agree, the proprietary mmcx is kind of annoying. To wrap it back around to the topic at hand though, they sound pretty great out of the n6ii.

I found the oem whirlwind really nice, but just like you, they hurt a bit after a while, i think the diamater of the nozzles is a bit bigger than other iems i own, i found em really nice but then they start aching and i gotta take em off, the brittle part of the cable when it gets behind my ear irritates me too...

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #1,739 of 8,192
I really wanted to pull the trigger on this bad boy, but no MQA licensing is what's holding me back. 95% of my listening at the moment is via offline/Tidal Masters and no full MQA support is a bummer :slight_frown::disappointed:. Well I guess I can pickup another IEM and stick to HIBY R6 Pro for now until M11 pro is released.

Aug 31, 2019 at 2:33 AM Post #1,740 of 8,192
I really wanted to pull the trigger on this bad boy, but no MQA licensing is what's holding me back. 95% of my listening at the moment is via offline/Tidal Masters and no full MQA support is a bummer :slight_frown::disappointed:. Well I guess I can pickup another IEM and stick to HIBY R6 Pro for now until M11 pro is released.
Thats a great plan , enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back