Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Aug 31, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #1,756 of 8,191
Well I definitely can't hear the difference between 96 and 192 :)
I much prefer the N6ii though.
True , but many live by numbers.

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #1,758 of 8,191
I cant decide on the wm1a or n6ii :frowning2: wm1a can function as a dac amp through ur phone which eliminates the purpose of needing a dap with Google play etc. But cayin is future proof has more power and has everything you need except a mobile connection.

I have owned both and am now putting my WM1A on sale. The N6ii better suits my taste.

Aug 31, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #1,760 of 8,191
I have owned both and am now putting my WM1A on sale. The N6ii better suits my taste.
I just want to know if the dac mode allows for eqing or gain switching via the dap. Because i know the sony dap does it lets you use all of its features and connect it to a phone via otg which is great imo.

Sep 1, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #1,761 of 8,191
Wow musicteck has the N6ii for $1050 now

Tooooooo tempting

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,763 of 8,191
Nice sound , very detailed , wide soundstage. Weird looking dap.

I was one of the beater tester N6 back in 2014 and that was the time before I join cayin. Actually there is a story behind the original N6 design. When Cayin design the N6, they want to use a circular LCD like the Motorola V70, they thought this is straightforward technically. The design has gone through technical feasibility and early stages of prototyping (including CNC mold up). It was until the design was finalised and Supply Chain services start to estimate the BOM and shortlisting supplier, then the y found out that while a circular LCD is technically feasible, the MoQ (Minimum Order Quantity) is around 300 times more then our initial planning. It was too late to redesign the DAP at that stage, so the N6 ended up with a rectangular screen in a circular screen bezel.

IMHO, N6 could have been the best looking DAP of 2014 if they circular screen bezel was filled with LCD display. :sweat_smile:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #1,764 of 8,191
I was one of the beater tester N6 back in 2014 and that was the time before I join cayin. Actually there is a story behind the original N6 design. When Cayin design the N6, they want to use a circular LCD like the Motorola V70, they thought this is straightforward technically. The design has gone through technical feasibility and early stages of prototyping (including CNC mold up). It was until the design was finalised and Supply Chain services start to estimate the BOM and shortlisting supplier, then the y found out that while a circular LCD is technically feasible, the MoQ (Minimum Order Quantity) is around 300 times more then our initial planning. It was too late to redesign the DAP at that stage, so the N6 ended up with a rectangular screen in a circular screen bezel.

IMHO, N6 could have been the best looking DAP of 2014 if they circular screen bezel was filled with LCD display. :sweat_smile:
FB_IMG_1562678801601.jpg

Sep 1, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #1,765 of 8,191
N6ii supports MQA by Tidal app and UAPP in software manner, Tidal even offline. I don’t see any problem for MQA - N6ii allows listening Masters albums offline.

We have received a lot of enquiry about MQA oin N6ii ever since we announced the MQA support on N8.

@nsk1979 has stated correctly that the MQA core decoder in Tidal App (and I guess UAPP will be the same) will unfold the MQA encoded file up to 24bit 96kHz and this will apply to both online streaming and offline sync. playlist on Tidal App. This is the limit of MQA support on N6ii at this moment.

Cayin didn't have any plan to implement full MQA decoder in N6ii at this stage. We have gone through the MQA process with N8 and is fully aware of the technical requirement involved in doing that. The Audio Motherboard concept of N6ii makes MQA implementation extremely difficult, if not impossible, because MQA full decoder will involve software control at DAC chipset level, in other word, we need to authenticate N6ii+A01 and N6ii+T01 separately, and if we develop more Audio Motherboard down the road (yes, we certainly are looking into that), we need to repeat the authentication process again, and again, and again.

Cayin certainly buy the concept of MQA, and we definitely will consider working with MQA again down the road, but he time, cost and resources to implement MQA in N6ii is significantly more than other DAP in the market, we can even consider this as a tradeoff of either replaceable DAC or MQA but not both.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,766 of 8,191
Sep 1, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #1,767 of 8,191
We have received a lot of enquiry about MQA oin N6ii ever since we announced the MQA support on N8.

@nsk1979 has stated correctly that the MQA core decoder in Tidal App (and I guess UAPP will be the same) will unfold the MQA encoded file up to 24bit 96kHz and this will apply to both online streaming and offline sync. playlist on Tidal App. This is the limit of MQA support on N6ii at this moment.

Cayin didn't have any plan to implement full MQA decoder in N6ii at this stage. We have gone through the MQA process with N8 and is fully aware of the technical requirement involved in doing that. The Audio Motherboard concept of N6ii makes MQA implementation extremely difficult, if not impossible, because MQA full decoder will involve software control at DAC chipset level, in other word, we need to authenticate N6ii+A01 and N6ii+T01 separately, and if we develop more Audio Motherboard down the road (yes, we certainly are looking into that), we need to repeat the authentication process again, and again, and again.

Cayin certainly buy the concept of MQA, and we definitely will consider working with MQA again down the road, but he time, cost and resources to implement MQA in N6ii is significantly more than other DAP in the market, we can even consider this as a tradeoff of either replaceable DAC or MQA but not both.

Thanks for the update. Unfortunate, but understandable. I bought it anyways. :gs1000smile:

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #1,768 of 8,191
Yep. I had to do it. Now the waiting begins....
Did musicteck estimate how long it would take to arrive? I’m out on a business trip end of the week and would love to take it with me.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #1,769 of 8,191
Did musicteck estimate how long it would take to arrive? I’m out on a business trip end of the week and would love to take it with me.

No. But I've recently ordered a pair of IEM (HYLA) and it was surprisingly quick. It took 4 days I think from the time I ordered to delivery.

Sep 1, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #1,770 of 8,191
With the holiday I won’t get it in time. Wondering if it’s easier to buy one in Beijing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back