Cayin N6ii, Unlimited Possibilities: a fully modularized smart DAP
Sep 4, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #1,786 of 8,194
I have done that, it's not really a "fix" as it doesn't eliminate the interference completely and seems to have be questionable if it even improves it.

For iems I guess I can just use 3.5 when streaming as I am not convinced balanced offers any huge benefits for iems that don't need a ton of power anyways.

Works for me but yeah, it’s sub-optimal.

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #1,787 of 8,194
Works for me but yeah, it’s sub-optimal.

Yea agreed, at this price point it doesn't seem right unless it's just a limitation that exists in all devices. It was just that the interference on the chord mojo and poly was one of the big reasons I have been looking for other daps, and the cayin was highly recommended. And so far other than the interference it's an excellent device.

Sep 5, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,789 of 8,194
20190905_203441.jpg

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #1,790 of 8,194
Got the N6II delivered today. Didn't think USPS would make a delivery today due to hurricane Dorian, but nevertheless, it showed up at my doorstep.

BLUF: I love it !!

Quick initial impression and crude comparison to the Hiby R6 Pro, its close competitor.
In my opinion, similar in sound signature to the Hiby R6 Pro with a slightly lower output rating but still quite powerful (take it w/ pinch of salt, as i hear very little difference in SQ between decent DAPs). Very quiet on TE5B w/ no noticeable hiss. Don't really want to cover sound at the moment, as I've only had it in my ears for <30 minutes.

+++
Build Quality:
Feels solid and premium. I really like the sandblasted matte black finish and the glass rear panel. The film type pre-installed screen protector is a nice touch too. Little bulkier than the Hiby R6 Pro but still feels good in the hand.

Speed:
Highly responsive. Snappier than the Hiby R6 Pro (in my experience) with the same snapdragon 425 SOC. Guess that extra 1GB RAM makes a difference. I can navigate thru android OS and apps such as TIDAL w/ ease (less loading time).

Wifi: This has been my biggest gripe with the Hiby. Less than stellar wifi strength, and the random drops when streaming via TIDAL, which is absolutely frustrating. So far so good with the N6II.

Pause button: pause/play button works well with the screen off. With Hiby R6 Pro, it takes 5-10 sec to unpause when the screen is off or you have to turn the screen back on to quickly unpause. Wasn't a deal breaker for me, but more of an annoyance.

- - -
Volume dial:
The volume dial feels cheap and plasticky. Turns too freely and volume change is inconsistent. I would've liked slightly more tension w/ each click. Also wish there was a separate power button. I keep inadvertently end up changing the volume level when clicking to exit standby mode.

Surface temperature: Definitely runs warm/hot on 3.5SE compared to Hiby R6 Pro (haven't tested balanced 4.4 yet).

Single button navigation: I miss the traditional Android 3 button navigation layout on Hiby R6 Pro. Not sure how to access the overview with a single button layout.

20190905_135048.jpg

Well that was a quick first impression. Gonna spend some quality time with this DAP and i'll report back with some sound impressions and new findings.

Thanks.

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #1,791 of 8,194
Single button navigation: I miss the traditional Android 3 button navigation layout on Hiby R6 Pro. Not sure how to access the overview with a single button layout.

This confused me a bit too at first, though I think the answer was in the manual somewhere. Anyways, single tap on the "button" is back. Long press is home. Swipe up from bottom of screen is overview/recents.

Sep 5, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #1,792 of 8,194
This confused me a bit too at first, though I think the answer was in the manual somewhere. Anyways, single tap on the "button" is back. Long press is home. Swipe up from bottom of screen is overview/recents.

I really appreciate that. I figured it was it the manual somewhere. Just didn't have time to sit down and read the manual. Too busy loading music and listening to albums :gs1000smile: Thanks again.

Sep 5, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #1,793 of 8,194
What PCM filter setting do you guys use or prefer with your N6II??

Sep 5, 2019 at 10:13 PM Post #1,794 of 8,194
Got the N6II delivered today. Didn't think USPS would make a delivery today due to hurricane Dorian, but nevertheless, it showed up at my doorstep.

BLUF: I love it !!

Quick initial impression and crude comparison to the Hiby R6 Pro, its close competitor.
In my opinion, similar in sound signature to the Hiby R6 Pro with a slightly lower output rating but still quite powerful (take it w/ pinch of salt, as i hear very little difference in SQ between decent DAPs). Very quiet on TE5B w/ no noticeable hiss. Don't really want to cover sound at the moment, as I've only had it in my ears for <30 minutes.

+++
Build Quality:
Feels solid and premium. I really like the sandblasted matte black finish and the glass rear panel. The film type pre-installed screen protector is a nice touch too. Little bulkier than the Hiby R6 Pro but still feels good in the hand.

Speed:
Highly responsive. Snappier than the Hiby R6 Pro (in my experience) with the same snapdragon 425 SOC. Guess that extra 1GB RAM makes a difference. I can navigate thru android OS and apps such as TIDAL w/ ease (less loading time).

Wifi: This has been my biggest gripe with the Hiby. Less than stellar wifi strength, and the random drops when streaming via TIDAL, which is absolutely frustrating. So far so good with the N6II.

Pause button: pause/play button works well with the screen off. With Hiby R6 Pro, it takes 5-10 sec to unpause when the screen is off or you have to turn the screen back on to quickly unpause. Wasn't a deal breaker for me, but more of an annoyance.

- - -
Volume dial:
The volume dial feels cheap and plasticky. Turns too freely and volume change is inconsistent. I would've liked slightly more tension w/ each click. Also wish there was a separate power button. I keep inadvertently end up changing the volume level when clicking to exit standby mode.

Surface temperature: Definitely runs warm/hot on 3.5SE compared to Hiby R6 Pro (haven't tested balanced 4.4 yet).

Well that was a quick first impression. Gonna spend some quality time with this DAP and i'll report back with some sound impressions and new findings.

Thanks.
Burn it in , after say 50 hrs something will happen.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #1,795 of 8,194
What PCM filter setting do you guys use or prefer with your N6II??

I would like to know this as well... They are always such subtle changes that it's hard for me to really tell. That said, I chose the low dispersion one because it was not an option I have seen before.

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #1,796 of 8,194
Any difference between Hiby music and Cayin music app beside aesthetics?

Sep 6, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #1,797 of 8,194
Any difference between Hiby music and Cayin music app beside aesthetics?

Cayin music app is like a light version of HibyMusic. One noticeable thing is missing MSEB dsp effects.

Sep 8, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #1,799 of 8,194
I have tried all of them, but the default Short Delay Sharp Roll-of is my choice at the moment.

Changes are subtle, if distinguishable at all. I've tried all of them, and to be honest, can't tell one is better than the others. :rolling_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back