Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #2,866 of 4,108
good evening I have a problem with the Cayin, when we introduce music on a card sd in a folder and we want to create a playlist of all the music in this folder, it's impossible. I do not understand why we can not choose a folder and create a playlist.
When we choose bulk operation he tells me to "choose music" because for him a file is not music and suddenly I have to add the songs one by one ...
Is it possible to change this during a future firmware because for a player always add in a playlist songs one by one is the brothel, there are no other words.
It's okay when we have 100 songs and we make 2 playlists, but how should I do when we have like me more than 2000 titles?
Because in my player all the songs are well classified by artist, album, title.
For this to work you have to create a single folder with all the loose songs in this folder ... I find it very weird to think that like this ...
Sell a player that can hold 2 SDXC cards of 400 gb each but work like the beginning of the air of the players, create the playlist only by being able to add a song by one because we can not select them when they are not in bulk in the same folder.
We can not really create playlists and enjoy this player, if only if people listen to it folder by folder ie album by album but if you want to listen to a single title of each album, it is impossible ... .

If anyone wants to tell me, thank you very much.

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #2,867 of 4,108
I even tried "playlist creator", I lost 2 hours to create playlists on my player but when I try to read it it does not work. Yet creating the playlist I was careful to have put the music in the right folder, indicating the right path of music with their locations. But when I start the playlist in M3U or PLS, the player gives me the songs but tells me that they are missing in the cayin.
I'm patient, but I miss it ... I'm a little fed up with the fact that it's so complicated to listen to music ...

next to Spotify is pure happiness :) even if the player loses the path to the location of the download of the music when it is connected to the pc. To download it on the mass memory rather than on an SD card is already better but it still happens to lose it ... before connecting it must put spotify offline and then connect to the pc later .. .
But to create playlist and listen to what you want is much better ... even if it does not question the intrinsic musical quality of the player who is very good.
The daily convenience between the bugs because not enough ram, multitasking suffers a lot, then the concerns of loss of music downloaded from spotify, and the fact that it is so tedious to create playlist (for a player of one too large capacity, it's like having a Porsche that goes up to 300 km / h but be bridled to 80 ... as in France :))

my post is a little negative but I'm super shared on this player it gives me pleasure to listen, and if you are not too demanding it goes. But as soon as you want a little improvement in everyday use, everything is complicated, long, tedious.
I'm thinking of starting to look at another simpler reader everyday ...

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,868 of 4,108
good evening I have a problem with the Cayin, when we introduce music on a card sd in a folder and we want to create a playlist of all the music in this folder, it's impossible. I do not understand why we can not choose a folder and create a playlist.
When we choose bulk operation he tells me to "choose music" because for him a file is not music and suddenly I have to add the songs one by one ...
Is it possible to change this during a future firmware because for a player always add in a playlist songs one by one is the brothel, there are no other words.
It's okay when we have 100 songs and we make 2 playlists, but how should I do when we have like me more than 2000 titles?
Because in my player all the songs are well classified by artist, album, title.
For this to work you have to create a single folder with all the loose songs in this folder ... I find it very weird to think that like this ...
Sell a player that can hold 2 SDXC cards of 400 gb each but work like the beginning of the air of the players, create the playlist only by being able to add a song by one because we can not select them when they are not in bulk in the same folder.
We can not really create playlists and enjoy this player, if only if people listen to it folder by folder ie album by album but if you want to listen to a single title of each album, it is impossible ... .

If anyone wants to tell me, thank you very much.
I even tried "playlist creator", I lost 2 hours to create playlists on my player but when I try to read it it does not work. Yet creating the playlist I was careful to have put the music in the right folder, indicating the right path of music with their locations. But when I start the playlist in M3U or PLS, the player gives me the songs but tells me that they are missing in the cayin.
I'm patient, but I miss it ... I'm a little fed up with the fact that it's so complicated to listen to music ...

next to Spotify is pure happiness :) even if the player loses the path to the location of the download of the music when it is connected to the pc. To download it on the mass memory rather than on an SD card is already better but it still happens to lose it ... before connecting it must put spotify offline and then connect to the pc later .. .
But to create playlist and listen to what you want is much better ... even if it does not question the intrinsic musical quality of the player who is very good.
The daily convenience between the bugs because not enough ram, multitasking suffers a lot, then the concerns of loss of music downloaded from spotify, and the fact that it is so tedious to create playlist (for a player of one too large capacity, it's like having a Porsche that goes up to 300 km / h but be bridled to 80 ... as in France :))

my post is a little negative but I'm super shared on this player it gives me pleasure to listen, and if you are not too demanding it goes. But as soon as you want a little improvement in everyday use, everything is complicated, long, tedious.
I'm thinking of starting to look at another simpler reader everyday ...

For M3U playlist issue,maybe you can follow the steps in this link to try again:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...tal-audio-player.862763/page-74#post-13993329

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 4, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #2,869 of 4,108
Announcement of Cayin N5ii Firmware v 3.5en

upload_2018-9-4_15-43-38.png

http://en.cayin.cn/down1/show?id=13552

New Functions and System Optimization

1. Enhance USB Audio output (PCM upto 96kHz completed*)
2. Rectify playback time error in selected time zone setting
3. Rectify misalignment in selected pages of user interface
4. Other bug fixed and optimizations.

Firmware Upgrade Procedure

Cayin will release firmware update to enhance and optimize N5ii as deem required, the new firmware can be acquired through OTA or manual download, since the content of these firmware are identical, you can select whichever upgrade option that fit your needs.
Please make sure the device has sufficient battery power before you proceed. Please confirm the device has not less than 50% battery power; otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to firmware upgrade.

Option 1: Local Upgrade Procedures

Because the file size of the N5ii firmware is relative large (around 300+ MB), the most efficient option is to download the firmware package with wired network and perform the firmware upgrade manually as follow:

1. Download firmware upgrade package from Cayin website, you should receive a compressed document N5MK2-ota-XXXX.zip
2. Do not DECOMPRESSED the firmware upgrade package, copy the zip file to the root directory of internal storage or TF card of N5ii as-is.
3. Hold on the previous key of right side panel and then press Power On/Off button like below until the player go into recovery mode.

upload_2018-9-4_15-45-33.png

4. Specify firmware file location with the Volume control or previous/next buttons,
a. select “apply update from internal storage” if the firmware file is stored on internal storage, Click Power button to confirm your selection.
b. select “apply update from external storage” if stored on TF card. Click Power button to confirm your selection.

upload_2018-9-4_15-46-1.png
upload_2018-9-4_15-46-26.png

5. You can move up and down to select xxxxx.zip via volume or previous/next buttons and press power button to activate the upgrade process.
6. N5i will automatically go back into recovery operation screen, select “reboot system now” and press power button to reboot into regular operation.

Option 2: OTA Upgrade Procedure

Please check your current firmware and make sure you are using firmware version 1.1 or above. If your N5ii is installed with v1.0 firmware, please use manual upgrade option to upgrade your N5ii to a newer version. OTA firmware upgrade is only available to N5ii with firmware v1.1 or subsequent versions.

When you connect your N5ii to an Internet ready WiFi connection, the DAP will detect a new firmware and alert you for firmware upgrade.

upload_2018-9-4_15-46-56.png
upload_2018-9-4_15-47-23.png

The download time might vary from 30 minutes to several hours, depends on the number of concurrent upgrade users on the server. To improve our server efficiency, OTA will not be available on the first day of firmware update release, and we’ll phase in the upgrade service by pushing the upgrade notification to selected N5ii units based on the last digit of the serial number over a course of 5 to 10 days. If you didn’t receive upgrade notification after we announced the new firmware, please wait patiently or opt for manual upgrade instead.

upload_2018-9-4_15-48-10.png
upload_2018-9-4_15-48-23.png

As long as you stay connected with WiFi, you can use your DAP as-is while downloading the firmware at background. At the end of the download process, you’ll be prompted to confirm the installation of new firmware.

upload_2018-9-4_15-48-41.png
upload_2018-9-4_15-48-59.png

At the end of the firmware installation, N5ii will turn off itself automatically and power on again. You will be advised to delete the firmware package in order to avoid repeated upgrade accidentally. Please verify that your N5ii is operating with the new firmware, you can find out the firmware information from the “About” option in Application Menu (swipe the screen from left “edge” to right).

upload_2018-9-4_15-49-19.png
upload_2018-9-4_15-49-46.png

Attention:

1.Do not operate the machine during firmware upgrade
2. Please delete/remove the firmware file from the internal storage/TF card after firmware upgrade
3. Please perform a complete Music Scan after firmware upgrade.
4. If you are using TF card to upgrade N5ii firmware, please make sure you only insert the TF card with firmware package into the DAP. Inserting two TF cards into the DAP during firmware upgrade might cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly.
5. If you feel the DAP is not performing satisfactory after firmware upgrade, please wipe cache partition (in recovery mode) and restart the system.
6. If the system freeze or cannot resume to regular operation after firmware upgrade, you can turn off the device by holding the Power on/off key for 12 seconds. The system will shut down in regardless of operation status. If problem persist, you can perform a Factory Reset (under Setting menu) or Wipe data/factory reset (in recovery mode) to resume the system.
7. Please insert TF card into N5ii before RECOVERY mode. If you insert TF card into N5ii after starting N5ii and RECOVERY mode it may cause system failure because the system might not be able to identify the firmware package correctly.

* DSD and Hi-Res PCM above 176kHz is improved and WIP

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-4_15-46-19.png
    upload_2018-9-4_15-46-19.png
    438.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #2,871 of 4,108
@CayinSupport @Andykong

I updated to 3.5. Thanks for fixing the lyrics issue I reported!

One issue I see now that was not there before. When listening via 3.5mm Headphones and I press pause, it takes about 2 to 3 seconds for it to actually pause and then there is a short skip, more sound and then it actually pauses.

I will do some more listening today! Thanks!

Sep 4, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #2,872 of 4,108
One issue I see now that was not there before. When listening via 3.5mm Headphones and I press pause, it takes about 2 to 3 seconds for it to actually pause and then there is a short skip, more sound and then it actually pauses.
Did you use Bluetooth? That usually happens when you don't disconnect before turning off Bluetooth.

Turning Bluetooth on and off usually fixes it. If not, then clear cache.

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #2,874 of 4,108
It has been a really long time. We have been waiting for a firmware for the USB DAC issue.. It should not have taken such a long time!..

I do not recommend N5ii/N5iis at all if using the player by usb connection as a transport is important for you.

Unfortunately, it takes a lot longer then anyone will expect.

USB Audio is the main subject of the new v3.5en firmware, it is a significant improvement from previous firmware but still not a complete solution. As of today, N5ii (and N5iiS when new firmware is available next week) can output PCM files upto 96kHz smoothly without any unexpected noise. 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 252.8kHz and 384kHz will exhibit low level noise occasionally. DSD64/DSDD128 is a bigger problem because you'll hear low level noise continuously. We managed to lowered the level of noise floor significantly but we can't get rid of it at this stage. For this reason, both DSD and Hi-Res PCM above 176kHz are considered WIP for USB Audio Output from N5ii and N5iiS.

Can you please provide us the update regarding USB output.
If the issue is still unresolved does this mean we can't use CS-40TC35 usb to coaxial cable?

The CS-40TC35 is a short Type-C to 3.5mm Coaxial Cable specially designed for Cayin DAPs such as N3, N5ii and N5iiS. This cable will extract the embedded S/PDIF bit-stream from the Type-C Connector of our DAP. The whole process does not involve USB Audio, so you use this cable to connect N5ii or N5iiS to outboard DACs such as MOJO and Hugo2 even before the firmware upgrade is available.

Sep 4, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #2,875 of 4,108
Did you use Bluetooth? That usually happens when you don't disconnect before turning off Bluetooth.

Turning Bluetooth on and off usually fixes it. If not, then clear cache.

Upon my next restart the issue was no longer present. I never had Bluetooth on at all.

I wiped the cache just to be sure (never did that before). Issue resolved!

Sep 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,876 of 4,108
Unfortunately, it takes a lot longer then anyone will expect.

USB Audio is the main subject of the new v3.5en firmware, it is a significant improvement from previous firmware but still not a complete solution. As of today, N5ii (and N5iiS when new firmware is available next week) can output PCM files upto 96kHz smoothly without any unexpected noise. 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 252.8kHz and 384kHz will exhibit low level noise occasionally. DSD64/DSDD128 is a bigger problem because you'll hear low level noise continuously. We managed to lowered the level of noise floor significantly but we can't get rid of it at this stage. For this reason, both DSD and Hi-Res PCM above 176kHz are considered WIP for USB Audio Output from N5ii and N5iiS.

The CS-40TC35 is a short Type-C to 3.5mm Coaxial Cable specially designed for Cayin DAPs such as N3, N5ii and N5iiS. This cable will extract the embedded S/PDIF bit-stream from the Type-C Connector of our DAP. The whole process does not involve USB Audio, so you use this cable to connect N5ii or N5iiS to outboard DACs such as MOJO and Hugo2 even before the firmware upgrade is available.

I listened some songs with a sensitive headphone(Fostex Th900 mk2).. When I listen 24bit 96khz audio file, there is still some noise heard(more apperant on Chord Hugo than Ifi Black.. Ifi Black is better for usb connections, thanks to its built-in usb ipurifier). But overall the amount of noise for 96khz and below is very very less than as it was in the previous version. It is more difficult to notice when I listen 24bit 48khz audio.

I hope you can solve the work-in-progress issues and completely solve the usb problem in a short time.

1536093111269836559623695556249.jpg

15360942048216467060429793953735.jpg

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #2,877 of 4,108
That's the thing, it looks like everytime I'm not going to the Home screen after my listening sessions, the next reboot, it will ask me to relog.

And I just got a new message : Error downloading, you have reached the limit of the offline devices. BUT I GOT ONLY ONE LISTED https://www.spotify.com/fr/account/offline-devices/ >< I have to re-download again. Seriously...

The error message has probably explained why you got log out and lost your offline playlist frequently. If you received this "you have reached the limit of the offline devices" message but you only have ONE offline device under your Spotify account, the only logical answer is Spotify has made a mistake in calculating the offline device. Looks like Spotify has set a rule that they can't execute correctly and affected the privilege of their paid customer.

This instance also indicates that N5ii is not the root cause of the Spotify offline problems you have encountered. I can't think of any firmware improvement that can solve the offline device miscounting issue in Spotify server. Maybe you should bring this problem to Spotify and see whether they can solve your problem.

Am I seriously the only one having such a bad experience with Spotify ?!

Offline mode is absolutely broken, storage is switching by itself from external SD to internaI, I have to re-download everything every 2 days :xf_mad:

After 25 mails exchanged with their support they told me that it is Cayin's responsability to make an update.

Or to vote for the suggestion to make it compatible with the N5ii : https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/idb-p/ideas_submissions

I have received the email through @CayinSupport , since the emails are in French and I can only read them through Google Translate, I am not 100% sure I have the whole picture but here is what I have noted from the email:

(1) Spotify pointed out that Cayin N5ii used a non-standard version of Android
(2) Cayin N5ii is not on the Spotify support list
(3) Cayin should change their firmware so that it can works with Spotify
(4) You can start an campaign to ask Spotify to include Cayin N5ii in the support list
(5) If you can solicit enough support from Spotify community, Spotify will make N5ii compatible

If I missed anything important, please fill me in.

Does this make sense to you? Do you really think Spotify is being reasonable and responsible based on these comment from their customer service?

As someone has pointed out one issue: how can Cayin make our DAP compatible with Spotify? I have given a lot of thoughts to item (3) and the only logical outcome from that is to give up the customized Android system and adopt a standard version of Android system, that should make N5ii compatible with Spotify.

While I doubt the claim that all mobile devices with standard Android system will automatically compatible with Spotify because I notice there are a lot of off line playlist complaints in Spotify community are mobile phone users and I believed they are using mobile devices with standard Android system, Cayin will definitely keep the current customized Android approach. Cayin has make it clear that the N5ii uses a customized version of Android so that we can bypass the SRC limitation and put audio processing into top priority.

I hope the situation is clarified by now. Cayin is not capable of solving the offline playlist problem, there are methods (such as storing offline playlist to internal memory instead of TF card) to minimize the occurrence of losing the offline playlist and I can ask @CayinSupport to consolidate all the related advice into one post for the convenient of Spotify users, but these methods cannot eliminate the problem completely. When you run into mis-calculated offline device situation like Mayth, there is nothing we can do to stop losing the offline playlist.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #2,878 of 4,108
Hi all, here are some methods regarding offline playlist problem collected from our forum users:

1. Post 2833 from wakokokoyz: try to DL again. take note that before you shutdown, stop/pause playing first, long press home key until u see the default screen when you startup the device. only then you can turn it off. this is what i do for the past months and my offline files are all in tact. even after spotify update.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-android-based-master- quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-189

2. Post 2755 from Metalomaniac: For those who've had issues with lost Spotify offline collections, I may have a solution.
Spotify officially supports 3,333 songs in the offline collection. I used to download songs until Spotify wouldn't download more anymore. But recently I kept my downloads below 3k songs and my offline files have stayed put for a few weeks. I keep my songs on an external SD card, and otherwise haven't changed my behavior with the player.

Not sure if that's helping, but worth a try!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-184

3. Post 2687 from Signal2Noise: Well, if Spotify or Google Music were , for some reason, to cease to exist then those download-for-offline-listening tracks would cease to be playable. Benefit of personal tracks are DRM-free, listen whenever, wherever, and from whatever source. You don't "own" anything you've streamed or kept a playlist of from a streaming site.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-180

4. Post 2629 from wakokoyz: my offline files are still there after i transfer music from my PC thru usb cable. i suggest you long press home until homescreen. then transfer files or off the device
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-176

5. Post 2607 from wakokoyz: regarding my spotify, its already one day and still has not reset yet. i deleted all spotify folders from android>data (internal and TF2) except for TF1. internal always returns. copied cache folder to TF1 also. i dont know if it helped. after listening i make sure to long press home until homescreen. then shutdown.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...-quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-174

6. Post 2594 from wakokoyz: it seem exfat fixed it. previously in Spotify, got 128gb on exfat and 64gb on fat32. then when i select the 64gb as storage, both SD cards are highlighted. now, with 64gb on exFat, only the 64gb is highlighted. ill continue testing it. ill update here if anything weird happens.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-android-based-master- quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-173

7. Post 2595 from decipair: if you leave Spotify running when you power down the device or it goes into sleep mode then all the offline content is lost. It still takes up space on the TF card, but is not recognized by Spotify. If you continue to have trouble with your device, try that and see if it helps. It certainly is a pain to have to remember to actually shut off spotify every time, but if it saves a little headache it's not that hard a habit to get in to.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cayin-n5ii-android-based-master- quality-digital-audio-player.862763/page-173

Last edited:

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #2,879 of 4,108
Here's what happened so far for me after installing firmware 3.5. USB out works sometimes - but it's much lower volume than with the coaxial connection. Also, when I connect the USB cable, it will ask if i want to allow the app Cayin Audio to access the USB device. If I say 'Cancel' USB out usually works, although sometimes it seems to freeze and I need to reconnect the cable. If I say 'OK', then it gives me a "This music is not supported" error on any file I try to play. I haven't noticed any significant noise and nothing like what I was hearing before the firmware update, this seems like more of a software issue. I don't know if I should be using the Cayin Audio app - maybe I need to change the app settings?

Sep 5, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #2,880 of 4,108
I follow this thread with interest (I am in the market for a DAP) and Cayin N5ii seemed a very interesting choice in the sub-400 price range. The introduction of N5iiS and the jump to the 400-500 price range threw me a bit off but this is not the reason of this post. The reason of this post is to comment on Andy's and the person behind the CayinSupport account's continuous feedback and excellent customer service.
I am not a Cayin customer, nor an affiliate, it just struck me very positively and wanted to mention it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back