1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by PinkyPowers, Oct 14, 2017.
First

Back
170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179
181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
Next

Last
  1. thrgk
    Just out of curiosity, what is the benefit if having the actual MP3s vs streaming from Spotify or Google music? Both let you download to listen offline. I'd be like $200 to download all my songs and Spotify is only $5 a month and 320kbps. Thanks

2. Signal2Noise
    ^
    Well, if Spotify or Google Music were , for some reason, to cease to exist then those download-for-offline-listening tracks would cease to be playable. Benefit of personal tracks are DRM-free, listen whenever, wherever, and from whatever source. You don't "own" anything you've streamed or kept a playlist of from a streaming site.

3. thrgk
    I guess but Spotify or Google music doubtfully will be going anywhere and they allow offline listening. I see what you mean though you never "own" anything. I guess it's like renting vs buying a house.

4. Slater91
    They may not go anywhere as companies, but they could remove the artist, album or song you want - so you would have no more access to it. Just as Netflix does with their catalogue. That's something that happens all the time and it's a clear disadvantage vs other means of obtaining music (e.g. LP, CD, MP3/FLAC, etc).

5. seanwee
    Im listening to the N8 right now and I think you'll like it. I know its not an R2R design but its signature resembles the Audio GD R2R sound.

20180716_170113.jpg

Dobrescu George likes this.
  6. PopZeus
    Yeah, I'm very curious to hear how the N8 is received. It's far too much for me to buy, but if the tube tech trickles down to a lower cost model/line of DAPs, I'm so there.

7. Slater91
    Personally, I'd be curious to try a portable amp with this tube tech. That would be really interesting.

PopZeus and MyPants like this.
  8. MyPants
    This is my immediate reaction as well. I'm sure the price increase is necessary to amortize all the sudden added work needed to bring N5iiS to market, but that large a price increase puts the player in kindof a new tier of competition.

That being said, I really appreciate all the detail in the explanation. You'd NEVER see that from most companies, they'd just replace the unit, call it an upgrade, and never acknowledge the supply issue.

seanwee likes this.
  9. Music Enthusiast
    Hi,

On my new Cayin N5ii (FW 3.3) when I pause and then press play on a track - there is a small pop sound on all tracks about half a second after playback resumes - it is very annoying.
    I hope this is something that Cayin will eliminate in the next FW? Problem occurs whether using touch screen play/pause or physical play/pause button. Doesn't matter if tracks are on SD card or internal memory.

10. Max Choiral
    del

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  11. Max Choiral
    We're not measuring quality of recording based on just bitrate, are we? Moreover, are you sure you can discern down converted file from original in blind test with aligned volume?
    R-2R ladder DAC is worth giving a shot and it could play very well on behalf of Cayin's innovative approach. Try to bring up this topic for discussion on a meeting.

Hmm, you have a point here about space and stuff. However, for portable solution we can choose R-2R ladder DAC that is not too power hungry. Here is an example of alternative custom board for Hifiman HM-603 based on AD1866R in balanced option.
    It doesn't generate a lot of heat, 6 hours of play on default battery.

board.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  12. darkcamel2018
    Hi I am a newbie and have a few basic queries about the N5ii / s

1. Can they be controlled via an app on a phone? I would like to connect the DAP to a DAC, my Music fidelity v90 via coax and control it from the sofa via my android phone or tablet. Is this possible?

2. Can it play DSD to my DAC via DOP? If so how?

3. How does it compare to a Hiby R3? sound-quality wise / interface?

Thanks in advance.

13. seanwee
    1. No, HiBy link is not available on the N5ii due to lack of bi-directional Bluetooth.

2. I believe Cayin sells a type C to optical cable that can be used for that purpose.

3. The N5ii is full android vs limited apps on the R3 so you'll have more app flexibility on the N5ii. Sound quality wise the two are in different leagues entirely. The N5ii simply blows the R3 out of the water.

14. originalsnuffy
    Well as much as I'd like one more firmware to really stabilize this device, it runs circles around the HiBy R3.

Its not just that it sounds better than the HiBy. It sound "right". Clean, musical, just about every check box is filled out with this device. It marks the beginning of high end as far as I am concerned.

The amazing sound value right now is not the HiBy. Its the Shanling M0. Scary how good it is; not at the level of the Cayin N5II for sure but surprisingly good in its own right.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  15. Mayth
    Hi. It's been a week I haven't used my N5II.

Starting it again, I have to relog to Spotify through Facebook. And surpriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiise, no more playlists saved, as usual. :xf_mad:

My storage indicates "TF Card 1 : 96.6g / 119.1g available...

When I try to set the Spotify storage to the TF Card, I have this "the app will now restart, it may take long" and nothing seem to happen. Zzzzz

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
First

Back
170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179
181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190
Next

Last