Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Dec 21, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #4,099 of 4,108
I love my n5ii but have run out of storage space, currently using 2x 512gb micro sd cards. Has anybody tried a 1tb card and does it work? I have not been able to find anybody with a 1tb card for me to try before I buy. Help please.
I have now found the answer to my dilemma; yes the n5ii DOES support a 1Tb card, and I can confirm that I have now inserted 2 x 1Tb cards and both are fully functioning and my music collection now encompasses over 81,000 tracks and I am now downloading a lot of my existing library in FLAC to replace any mp3 tracks.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #4,100 of 4,108
Still rocking my Cayin N5iiS, 3 years and a half after my purchase, it cost me something like 300 bucks with Aliexpress promo so easily worthy indeed. Quite happy with it overall, okay it's buggy (DAC mode stutters sometimes) and I've struggled to update it to latest Google Play Services, but I somehow managed to. Sonically it sounds superb, and it can go LOUD as ****, it drives my Takstar HF580 without any issues (almost on par with my Topping E30/L30 stack), and it handles sensitive IEM just as well with a clear output. I, however, couldn't find Tidal on the Play Store, and using old apk didn't do the trick. Fortunately, I bought the app USB Audio Player Pro a while ago, and I can stream Tidal in lossless bitperfect through it, works flawlessly. The only struggle I have with this DAP is the battery, it clearly has worsen with years, is it possible to change it ? I've seen that it has a peculiar connector, and I don't think that batteries from Aliexpress would work. How do you guys deal with the battery life ? I mean it's not terrible, in Audio Priority mode it can play 9 hours of MP3/FLAC in mid-gain at 30 volume, but it would easily do 12 hours a few years ago. I would keep this DAP forever if possible, I just need to be sure that I can change the battery somehow, did someone manage to do it ?

Or are there tricks like underclocking/undervolting the processor to save a bit of power ?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #4,101 of 4,108
Still rocking my Cayin N5iiS, 3 years and a half after my purchase, it cost me something like 300 bucks with Aliexpress promo so easily worthy indeed. Quite happy with it overall, okay it's buggy (DAC mode stutters sometimes) and I've struggled to update it to latest Google Play Services, but I somehow managed to. Sonically it sounds superb, and it can go LOUD as ****, it drives my Takstar HF580 without any issues (almost on par with my Topping E30/L30 stack), and it handles sensitive IEM just as well with a clear output. I, however, couldn't find Tidal on the Play Store, and using old apk didn't do the trick. Fortunately, I bought the app USB Audio Player Pro a while ago, and I can stream Tidal in lossless bitperfect through it, works flawlessly. The only struggle I have with this DAP is the battery, it clearly has worsen with years, is it possible to change it ? I've seen that it has a peculiar connector, and I don't think that batteries from Aliexpress would work. How do you guys deal with the battery life ? I mean it's not terrible, in Audio Priority mode it can play 9 hours of MP3/FLAC in mid-gain at 30 volume, but it would easily do 12 hours a few years ago. I would keep this DAP forever if possible, I just need to be sure that I can change the battery somehow, did someone manage to do it ?

Or are there tricks like underclocking/undervolting the processor to save a bit of power ?

I had my battery changed out by Cayin recently. I also had the 2.5mm jack repaired. The unit still has trouble recognizing the second microsd card slot. I have to remove the card and put it back in typically to acccess that card.

The software was never finished. Frankly I am a bit less likely to buy another Cayin after this experience as they seem pretty quick to dump a project and move on. But I use it solely as a playback unit and for that its good.

Feb 10, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #4,102 of 4,108
After upgrading to the DX160 from my N5ii I'd say the biggest quality of life upgrade would be the extra functionality.

Not having an audio delay in DAC mode means I can use it for media consumption. It also has a bt DAC option which is a GREAT option to have now that phones no longer come with headphone jacks.

The better sound quality is just icing on the cake honestly considering i was perfectly happy with the N5ii's sound but its a welcome upgrade. And did i mention much higher output power?

Mar 18, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #4,105 of 4,108
I must have had an early production unit because my 2.5mm jack went bad. Only one channel was working.

I sent the unit to China for Cayin to repair it. Shipping was expensive, the repair was inexpensive. About $15 to fix the jack. I also replaced the battery which was only $10 or so.
I have the exact same problem on mine. Who did you contact to service your unit?

Mar 19, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #4,107 of 4,108
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back