Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 23, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #4,081 of 4,108
If any of you lovely people are in the 48 states and open to lending me your N5ii/S for a week I would be absolutely grateful to get a chance to hear it. I would of course pay for shipping plus a little extra for your troubles. I have excellent feedback on this site and eBay as well and have done business with a few reputable members here who can vouch for my dependability and communication throughout the dealing process if need be.
If you're local in S. Florida I don't mind meeting to loan it to you.

Nov 13, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #4,086 of 4,108
JMOP -- seems to me like the best way to get the feedback you want is to find discussion forums related to your favorite IEMs or headphones. Ask people with those devices what players they like for that particular device. That way you will get a compatible combination.

I invested $100 in fixing my unit if that gives you any indication. Just keep in mind it is useless for most streaming apps. In theory it can stream but not download Tidal but don't get your hopes up on that. Great for playback of files that you transferred to the unit.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #4,087 of 4,108
JMOP -- seems to me like the best way to get the feedback you want is to find discussion forums related to your favorite IEMs or headphones. Ask people with those devices what players they like for that particular device. That way you will get a compatible combination.

I invested $100 in fixing my unit if that gives you any indication. Just keep in mind it is useless for most streaming apps. In theory it can stream but not download Tidal but don't get your hopes up on that. Great for playback of files that you transferred to the unit.
Thanks for the reply, I’ll stop bumping the thread. No keeper IEMs at the moment, just trying out different daps for sound signatures.

Nov 14, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #4,090 of 4,108
Yeah, I just like a lot of what I’ve read about it. Looking for natural, airy vocals and not many mid-fi daps can do upper treble really well.
Yeah, its the only DAP that I have invested in maintaining. It has a seductive sound, I can listen to it for hours. I use it for going to sleep and often don't unplug it for hours. It pairs unbelievably well with the FLC8 series.

The best deal in HiFi in my opinion is the HiBy R5. The original model sells for something crazy stupid like $250. I use it for Amazon HD downloads in particular. Can't do that with the Cayin. So I keep both at the ready.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #4,091 of 4,108
Yeah, its the only DAP that I have invested in maintaining. It has a seductive sound, I can listen to it for hours. I use it for going to sleep and often don't unplug it for hours. It pairs unbelievably well with the FLC8 series.

The best deal in HiFi in my opinion is the HiBy R5. The original model sells for something crazy stupid like $250. I use it for Amazon HD downloads in particular. Can't do that with the Cayin. So I keep both at the ready.
HiBy seems ok, my DX120 that I'm currently selling is competitive enough in the price range though. Great device, I'm just looking for that treble air, while it focuses more on upper mids/lower treble and a bit of sub bass punch. I'd probably hold onto it if I had more trance in my collection.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #4,093 of 4,108
Does the DX120 have an open Android that defeats the Android hi res barrier? The HiBy can do that.....

Having said that I hear good things about iBasso DAP units though I have only owned some of their IEMs.
I'm not sure since I don't listen to hi res, just wav 16bit. I have some 24bit but haven't downsampled them in an attempt to hear the difference. The UI on the DX120 is extremely barebones and super easy to use, and gapless works flawlessly which surprised me.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #4,094 of 4,108
I'm not sure since I don't listen to hi res, just wav 16bit. I have some 24bit but haven't downsampled them in an attempt to hear the difference. The UI on the DX120 is extremely barebones and super easy to use, and gapless works flawlessly which surprised me.
My guess is that you are early in the personal audio space. What IEMs are you using? That really should drive your decision making not the electronics.

Nov 14, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #4,095 of 4,108
My guess is that you are early in the personal audio space. What IEMs are you using? That really should drive your decision making not the electronics.
I've been messing around with gear for awhile, though I tend to invest more in daps than iems because my iems never stick around (return or sell). Right now I just got a few budget iems: Ocharaku Donguri Brass (2.5mm), Sony MH755, Moondrop Spaceship, and Tanchjim Tanya.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back