Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Oct 3, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #4,066 of 4,108
I had problem with my Cayin N5ii kept rebooting itself even though I tried wiping cache partition and the problem was still going strong. Then I removed SD cards from the device and everything just came back to business so I can suggest who get this kind of problem, try removing SD cards from the slot. ♥️

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #4,067 of 4,108
If anyone is interested in selling an N5iiS I'm looking for one, as long as it works fine for wired playback as a portable - no faulty battery and/or shutting off on it's own, stopping on it's own after a song ends, etc.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #4,068 of 4,108
JMop, beware that all N5II models are likely to have weak batteries by now.

I had a first generation N5II. the early run was known for losing channels on the 2.5mm jack and eventually my unit did just that.

When I sent it for repair of the jack, I also had them replace the battery. I like the unit much more now with the improved battery.

Oct 22, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #4,069 of 4,108
JMop, beware that all N5II models are likely to have weak batteries by now.

I had a first generation N5II. the early run was known for losing channels on the 2.5mm jack and eventually my unit did just that.

When I sent it for repair of the jack, I also had them replace the battery. I like the unit much more now with the improved battery.
Thanks for the heads up. I read about the jacks on the N5ii which is partially why I'm looking for the steel version, also for sound improvement but some say there isn't any. Unless there's another dap with similar sound.. I really like a warmish bloom with sparkly upper treble, that heavenly sound. Bass doesn't need to be super weighty but with fair depth.

Oct 22, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #4,070 of 4,108
Thanks for the heads up. I read about the jacks on the N5ii which is partially why I'm looking for the steel version, also for sound improvement but some say there isn't any. Unless there's another dap with similar sound.. I really like a warmish bloom with sparkly upper treble, that heavenly sound. Bass doesn't need to be super weighty but with fair depth.
Sounds like you'll like the N3 Pro in Ultralinear tube mode

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #4,073 of 4,108
I was looking to use IEMs so the solid state looks a bit better to cut back on noise (looking at balanced), but from my reading I think the N5ii is better in that regard. Maybe I’ll go cheaper with the FiiO Q3.
What specific iems are you going to be using? Because other than the really sensitive ones you won't hear any noise when idle, and personally i find the issue of noise to be a nitpick since you wont be able to hear it anyways over whatever music you're playing.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #4,074 of 4,108
What specific iems are you going to be using? Because other than the really sensitive ones you won't hear any noise when idle, and personally i find the issue of noise to be a nitpick since you wont be able to hear it anyways over whatever music you're playing.
I have pretty sensitive hearing and listen to a good amount of ambient type music so noiseless is important to me. There’s nothing like hearing sounds or voices emerge from the darkness.. I don’t have any IEMs that I’ve settled on, but I do have a couple from Ocharaku, Final, and Tanchjim. I know finding the headphone should be priority over the dap but I still like to test daps for signatures that I’d like to have around. Currently own Shozy Alien Gold (hissy, but it sticks around until I have a niche use for it since I love the sound) and DX120 which I may sell since it’s a bit clinical sounding, but it does a lot well.

Oct 22, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #4,075 of 4,108
The Shozy was secondhand and so it was inexpensive but I’d prefer a more expensive dap to be quieter. Final E500 and Tanchjim Tanya are fantastic with the Shozy, tip rolling is important so the mids don’t get too thicc.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #4,076 of 4,108
I was looking to use IEMs so the solid state looks a bit better to cut back on noise (looking at balanced), but from my reading I think the N5ii is better in that regard. Maybe I’ll go cheaper with the FiiO Q3.
The N5ii remains a great unit. I think the N 3 was marginal due to heat. And the cool mode is only single ended

You can get the HiBy R5 for something like $250. Quite a bargain. But I invested in my N5ii to keep it alive so that tells you something

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #4,077 of 4,108
The N5ii remains a great unit. I think the N 3 was marginal due to heat. And the cool mode is only single ended

You can get the HiBy R5 for something like $250. Quite a bargain. But I invested in my N5ii to keep it alive so that tells you something
How do you like the bass extension and how’s the hiss on low gain with the N5ii? Yeah, I like the uniqueness of sound at least from what I’ve read, of the N5ii.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #4,078 of 4,108
How do you like the bass extension and how’s the hiss on low gain with the N5ii? Yeah, I like the uniqueness of sound at least from what I’ve read, of the N5ii.
If it came out now, it'll still be a good dap. It won't be the best option out there anymore like when it first came out in 2017, but it'll still be a competitive product at $269.

It definitely beats out the FiiO M11 sound quality wise.

Oct 23, 2021 at 2:29 AM Post #4,079 of 4,108
If it came out now, it'll still be a good dap. It won't be the best option out there anymore like when it first came out in 2017, but it'll still be a competitive product at $269.

It definitely beats out the FiiO M11 sound quality wise.
DX160 seems to own the price range if I recall we discussed that in the other thread, but it has an upper mid/lower treble focus (DX120 does too) which is great and all but a lot of IEMs coming out are already focusing heavily on the harman curve. I just recently returned the USB dac/amp FiiO K3 (2021) and it sounded very smooth and extended. Returned due to sound cutting out and currently deciding on giving it another go. If FiiO has something similar in dap form I might be interested, the new K3 uses a sabre dac. It had the upper treble lift which sounds amazing for IEMs since they normally fall short on treble extension in affordable price ranges, especially single dynamics drivers. I have to have a dap that emphasizes that range, I miss out on so much unique instrumentation without it, particularly in electronic music. The RSA P-51 was a nice little amp that lifted that range but sounded a tad thin and artificial in the treble region specifically.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #4,080 of 4,108
If any of you lovely people are in the 48 states and open to lending me your N5ii/S for a week I would be absolutely grateful to get a chance to hear it. I would of course pay for shipping plus a little extra for your troubles. I have excellent feedback on this site and eBay as well and have done business with a few reputable members here who can vouch for my dependability and communication throughout the dealing process if need be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back