Cayin N5ii Android based Master Quality Digital Audio Player
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #4,038 of 4,108
Anybody have issues logging into Qobuz? Lols like resolution is off.
I can enter credentials even though I can’t see 1st few letters but still says wrong credentials.
I am entering the proper info.
Every time I go to use this Cayin it’s a fiasco..
image.jpg

Oct 28, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #4,041 of 4,108
@Andykong @CayinSupport

Hi All

I've just bought the N5ii with the intention of solely using it as a digital transport, particularly so I could play my DSD (64) files natively via my DAC/Amp (Questyle CMA600i).

However, as I have just done a thorough search of this thread others seem to have the same issue as me, namely that when playing DSD files this way - that it is pretty much unlistenable - lots of popping and crackling - like listening to a badly cared for vinyl :frowning2:

(Edit: I have just noticed that this also occurs with some hi-res files 24/96 for example)

I am on FW v3.9

Questions:

1) Has there been a FW update that fixes this issue.
2) I understand the the USB C to Coaxial adapter may solve this issue - could someone confirm that this is the case and, if so, is DSD 64 still played natively?

Thanks

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 6:15 PM Post #4,042 of 4,108
Just like the i3, firmware development on this unit was abandoned by Cayin well before the system was stable. The most unstable portion of the unit is the usb input and output section. This was a problem for a long time and now we are stuck. I just use this unit as a self contained playback device and for nothing else. I would not suggest this unit be used as a transport. I would return it if that is the sole reason for purchase because it simply will never satisfy your intended use well.

I think a number of Shanling units would be good transport devices. My old M2S was rock solid and I think many other models are good too. My sense is that HiBy would be good; possibly FIIO or iBasso also.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #4,043 of 4,108
Just like the i3, firmware development on this unit was abandoned by Cayin well before the system was stable. The most unstable portion of the unit is the usb input and output section. This was a problem for a long time and now we are stuck. I just use this unit as a self contained playback device and for nothing else. I would not suggest this unit be used as a transport. I would return it if that is the sole reason for purchase because it simply will never satisfy your intended use well.

I think a number of Shanling units would be good transport devices. My old M2S was rock solid and I think many other models are good too. My sense is that HiBy would be good; possibly FIIO or iBasso also.

Thanks for the feedback and information, I bought the FiiO M3 Pro - but it doesn't do gapless DSD and is too small for my fat fingers! looked at the FiiO M6 and thought I would have similar issues with the touch screen (although it is a bit larger).

The N5ii ticked a lot of boxes for me:

Native DSD
DSD out via USB
2 SD card slots
USB C

I bought the unit second-hand, so cannot return it (or at least it would be difficult to do so). Does the Shanling have buggy FW?

I might try the UBB C to coaxial lead to see if that resolves the issue...

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #4,044 of 4,108
Thanks for the feedback and information, I bought the FiiO M3 Pro - but it doesn't do gapless DSD and is too small for my fat fingers! looked at the FiiO M6 and thought I would have similar issues with the touch screen (although it is a bit larger).

The N5ii ticked a lot of boxes for me:

Native DSD
DSD out via USB
2 SD card slots
USB C

I bought the unit second-hand, so cannot return it (or at least it would be difficult to do so). Does the Shanling have buggy FW?

I might try the UBB C to coaxial lead to see if that resolves the issue...
I've been using a Shanling M2X for a year and a half and while it has its quirks, it's mostly rock-solid and I haven't found any major pain points. It works much, much better than the Cayin N5ii - which I also have and which I have abandoned in a drawer since its firmware won't ever be in a satisfactory state.

Oct 29, 2020 at 7:38 AM Post #4,045 of 4,108
I've been using a Shanling M2X for a year and a half and while it has its quirks, it's mostly rock-solid and I haven't found any major pain points. It works much, much better than the Cayin N5ii - which I also have and which I have abandoned in a drawer since its firmware won't ever be in a satisfactory state.

Thanks for tip, will bear it in mind...I might just go for a cheaper Sony, as I know they work...

Oct 29, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #4,046 of 4,108
I hope the coax out works for you.

For what its worth, used solely as a device to play back music that has been loaded onto the device, the N5II is a great unit. It has a smooth enjoyable sound. For that purpose it is actually in the category of great. Many reviewers still use this unit as a comparison.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #4,048 of 4,108
Amber,

Out of curiosity, since you want to feed the output of these units to an external device, what device are you targeting?

The M5S has a nice reputation but if you only want a transport maybe the M2X is smaller? The M2S was rock solid but non Android Shanling devices have been pretty good lately. Don't get the original M2 by the way, it was not reliable.

Did you listen to the Cayin by itself? Its a pretty sweet unit for straightforward playback, especially balanced mode.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #4,049 of 4,108
Amber,

Out of curiosity, since you want to feed the output of these units to an external device, what device are you targeting?

The M5S has a nice reputation but if you only want a transport maybe the M2X is smaller? The M2S was rock solid but non Android Shanling devices have been pretty good lately. Don't get the original M2 by the way, it was not reliable.

Did you listen to the Cayin by itself? Its a pretty sweet unit for straightforward playback, especially balanced mode.

Thanks for the reply and the information.

Both headphone ports on the Nii did not work. I knew that at the time, but as I only intended to use it as a transport it was not an issue. However as it could not play files without hissing I have returned it, waiting for the refund at the moment.

My DAC/amp is a Questyle CMA 600i. As the USB iwas not working properly, I was going to try the coaxial impact, but decided it was not worth it because by the time I have got the cable and tried it I will probably be outside of the return window.

I still haven't decided what I'm going to use for a transport yet, so many decisions!

Edit for fat fingers typing!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #4,050 of 4,108
Looks like lates version of Google Play Services 14.7.99, that currently available on Market, is having issues. After uninstall Google Play Updates you can install this version of Google Play services : 14.5.81 (020300-221753714) or 14.3.66 (020300-213742215) . It fixed Google Play Music and Youtube Music for me and i do not getting "services stop" error and "update Play Services" requests. All apk you can find on apkmirror.com site. Just be sure that you choosing 020300 version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back