Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Dec 29, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #5,176 of 6,262
Sorry for being unclear before! N3 don't support DSD128 files through USB to coaxial cable, because it exceeds the coaxial specification instead of the 24/192 PCM output.
Thank you for the clarification! I will try a usb connection to Hugo, then.

If I may ask another thing: when I connect N3 as a Bluetooth digital source to my car radio, I can play all PCM files (tested up to 24/192) but the DSD ones fail with N3 displaying something like "play failed. File type not supported ". Is there a way to overcome this? I believe the pcm files are being downsampled, so I don't know if (similar to that approach) it is possible to have the dsd ones converted on-the-fly...

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #5,177 of 6,262

If I may ask another thing: when I connect N3 as a Bluetooth digital source to my car radio, I can play all PCM files (tested up to 24/192) but the DSD ones fail with N3 displaying something like "play failed. File type not supported ". Is there a way to overcome this? I believe the pcm files are being downsampled, so I don't know if it is possible to have the dsd ones converted on-the-fly...
I believe this is a limitation of Bluetooth and not the N3. Other DAPs similar to the N3 have the same issue.

Dec 29, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #5,178 of 6,262

If I may ask another thing: when I connect N3 as a Bluetooth digital source to my car radio, I can play all PCM files (tested up to 24/192) but the DSD ones fail with N3 displaying something like "play failed. File type not supported ". Is there a way to overcome this? I believe the pcm files are being downsampled, so I don't know if (similar to that approach) it is possible to have the dsd ones converted on-the-fly...

The BT transmission from N3 is topped at 44.1kHz, all PCM above 44.1kHz will be downsampled. Theoretically you can also transcode DSD to PCM and then downsample to 44.1kHz for BT transmission, but that will require hefty processing power and the N3 MCU is not strong enough to cover that kind of real-time transcoding. For this reason, DSD is not supported in BT transmission.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #5,179 of 6,262
The BT transmission from N3 is topped at 44.1kHz, all PCM above 44.1kHz will be downsampled. Theoretically you can also transcode DSD to PCM and then downsample to 44.1kHz for BT transmission, but that will require hefty processing power and the N3 MCU is not strong enough to cover that kind of real-time transcoding. For this reason, DSD is not supported in BT transmission.

OK, understood!

Let me add I am really enjoying N3. Good job, guys!

Dec 29, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #5,180 of 6,262
Happy holiday Mark! Yes, N3 works perfectly with DSD64 files through headphone. Besides, DSD64 files can be output through the USB to Coaxial cable.

Dear CayinSupport,
Thank you for getting back to me !

Listening to "Cowboy Junkies Live at The Ark" Binaural sounding good. To clarify, what is the highest resolution file that will play through both USB > coaxial and headphone out put ? DSD64 ?

Also is there a diagram for the menus? I am having difficulty with navigation. I understand the buttons; Menu, Previous, Return, Next and Play buttons, but the submenus are not clear.

Best,
- Mark

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #5,181 of 6,262
Listening to "Cowboy Junkies Live at The Ark" Binaural sounding good.

Thanks for the reminder! I have this but have not listened yet. I have spent many hours at the Ann Arbor Ark but sadly I never saw them when they played there.

Dec 29, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #5,182 of 6,262
Thanks for the reminder! I have this but have not listened yet. I have spent many hours at the Ann Arbor Ark but sadly I never saw them when they played there.

mbwilon111 it is a great recording, very intimate. Any must have recording suggestions ?

- Mark

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #5,183 of 6,262
Dear CayinSupport,
Thank you for getting back to me !

Listening to "Cowboy Junkies Live at The Ark" Binaural sounding good. To clarify, what is the highest resolution file that will play through both USB > coaxial and headphone out put ? DSD64 ?

Also is there a diagram for the menus? I am having difficulty with navigation. I understand the buttons; Menu, Previous, Return, Next and Play buttons, but the submenus are not clear.

Best,
- Mark
DSD64 is the highest resolution file for N3 that will play through USB to coaxial out.And N3 can support upto DSD256 files locally through headphone. For diagram for the submenu, you could kindly refer to N3 manual:http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13509

Dec 30, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #5,184 of 6,262
Hi all, very much a newbie to this hi-res lark but have always loved my music. So I got my N3 for Xmas, I'd ordered it for myself as a Christmas pressie from my OH, as I knew this was the DAP I wanted after doing several weeks of research and reading from page 1 of this thread to about 200 odd (now finished reading it and up to date) - thanks to all of you for helping my decision and also loads of respect to Andy Kong and Cayin - I've never witnessed such customer interaction before through a forum, very impressive!
I was going to go with a Fiio - we bought our 12 yo son an M3 last Xmas - but then got my head turned by the Cowon Plenue D. Again, it was this forum that got me wondering a little - I think from memory it was perhaps a little buggy? - and also what with having to get some decent headphones (AKG Y-50's) it was a little more than I really wanted to spend. I think it was a couple of reviews I found from head-fi contributors that caught my eye with the N3 and finally got me to this point. I also managed to get one in a deal from AMP3 about a month ago.

Anyway, now I've got it, what do I think? Well I love it! Bearing in mind I've only ever listened to lossy files on my Sony NWZ player, an M3 and ALAC files on an iPhone 5S, but it does to my ears sounds beautiful, I'm hearing things I never heard before.!
I'm also pleased to say I've no pops and it plays as a DAC using the supplied USB cable off of the Windows laptop. I've downloaded EAC to my laptop and used a really good tutorial on YouTube, but I have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with? I have my album art, the tracks are tagged - artist, album, track number, track title, and frequency/bit rate - this scrolls when playing and shows up under Songs, but in the Music Category all it shows is unknown to everything I.e. Artist, album, genre etc. I'm assuming I've not set something up right; I've tried searching in the thread and Google but can't find an answer to this. Like I say, I am very new to this technology and terminology, so please go easy on me!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #5,185 of 6,262
Anyway, now I've got it, what do I think? Well I love it! Bearing in mind I've only ever listened to lossy files on my Sony NWZ player, an M3 and ALAC files on an iPhone 5S, but it does to my ears sounds beautiful, I'm hearing things I never heard before.!
I'm also pleased to say I've no pops and it plays as a DAC using the supplied USB cable off of the Windows laptop. I've downloaded EAC to my laptop and used a really good tutorial on YouTube, but I have a question I'm hoping you guys can help with? I have my album art, the tracks are tagged - artist, album, track number, track title, and frequency/bit rate - this scrolls when playing and shows up under Songs, but in the Music Category all it shows is unknown to everything I.e. Artist, album, genre etc. I'm assuming I've not set something up right; I've tried searching in the thread and Google but can't find an answer to this. Like I say, I am very new to this technology and terminology, so please go easy on me!

Which programs on your PC are you using, to verify that all the tracks are tagged the way you expected, by EAC?

Dec 30, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #5,186 of 6,262
Hi all, very much a newbie to this hi-res lark but have always loved my music. So I got my N3 for Xmas, I'd ordered it for myself as a Christmas pressie from my OH, as I knew this was the DAP I wanted after doing several weeks of research and reading from page 1 of this thread to about 200 odd (now finished reading it and up to date) - thanks to all of you for helping my decision and also loads of respect to Andy Kong and Cayin - I've never witnessed such customer interaction before through a forum, very impressive!
I was going to go with a Fiio - we bought our 12 yo son an M3 last Xmas - but then got my head turned by the Cowon Plenue D. Again, it was this forum that got me wondering a little - I think from memory it was perhaps a little buggy? - and also what with having to get some decent headphones (AKG Y-50's) it was a little more than I really wanted to spend. I think it was a couple of reviews I found from head-fi contributors that caught my eye with the N3 and finally got me to this point. I also managed to get one in a deal from AMP3 about a month ago.

Did you update your Music Library? The command is available in the Music Library menu,

Dec 30, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #5,187 of 6,262
I added a wireless qi charging pad to my N3. Works!

The first pic is a tad blurry.
https://imgur.com/a/8mXM0

The charging receiver I used was the Nillkin Short Type C pad.

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #5,188 of 6,262
Which programs on your PC are you using, to verify that all the tracks are tagged the way you expected, by EAC?
Ah, I'm not using any other program than EAC. Like I said, I really know nothing about formatting music, I've only ever used Windows Media Player to rip CDs before lol! I've only put 2 albums onto the N3 so far but when I'm playing the tracks it's scrolling the correct artist, album,track number and track title, but in Music Categories it doesn't list the 2 separate albums. Will a separate program correct this?

Dec 30, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #5,189 of 6,262
Did you update your Music Library? The command is available in the Music Library menu,
Yes I did that. I've only loaded 2 albums so far but when playing either the tracks scroll with the correct artist, album, track number and track title. However, if I go into Music Categories and look in Album, it says Unknown album, Genre = Unknown Genre, and Artist = Unknown artist. Playlist and Songs seems fine. I know it's something I'm doing wrong but don't know what?

Dec 30, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #5,190 of 6,262
What format are you using? If you're ripping to .wav, then yeah, it wont show tags. If you're using .flac, then there's something else not right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back