Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Jan 2, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #5,206 of 6,262
Why care what others think? Use whatever you think sounds good.

Don't worry. I never care what others think :) Super Slow filter sounds great with my music on the Cayin. I do not listen to EDM so maybe I would want to change it for that ...if I did want to listen to EDM. Anyway, there is a great post in here somewhere explaining the differences. I use a similar filter with my Hidizs AP200 android dap.

Jan 2, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #5,207 of 6,262
Hi michael bland,
I have been enjoying the music on Acoustic Sounds, very expensive, but sounds great !
Not sure about cue data.
- Mark
really very expensive :beerchug:
25 $ for ONE album DSD (Single Rate) 2.8MHz/64fs &
40 $ for ONE album dsd (quad rate) 11.2MHz/256fs ........ is a little "abused" for me

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #5,208 of 6,262
Interesting couple of instances today when I took my N3 out with me in the car, a Prius Gen 4. As people have been having problems connecting via BT in their cars, I tried playing it through the supplied USB cable. It started playing okay but then just kept jumping tracks every several seconds or so, and then froze; it repeated this a couple of times. I then thought I'd try connecting via BT, not expecting it to work, so imagine my surprise when it did! The cars BT asked if the code was the same as on the device - of course who knows as you couldn't see a code on the N3, but I pressed YES anyway - and it paired successfully! It played perfectly, no jumping as it was doing through the USB cable. What was extra nice is that my Prius has the JBL sound system so it sounded fantastic. I just wish I could get my head around solving the issues I have with correct formatting of Music Category.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #5,209 of 6,262
Don't worry. I never care what others think :) Super Slow filter sounds great with my music on the Cayin. I do not listen to EDM so maybe I would want to change it for that ...if I did want to listen to EDM. Anyway, there is a great post in here somewhere explaining the differences. I use a similar filter with my Hidizs AP200 android dap.

Hi bbwilson111,
Happy New Year !
Thank you for telling me about the filter. I didn't know that there were filter controls. I would agree with you, I like the super slow, gives me more time with each note.
Best,
- Mark

Jan 4, 2018 at 3:34 AM Post #5,211 of 6,262
Just to be sure.... Pulled my hairs out yesterday evening.

The N3 can only send Aptx but not receiving?
So when i am playing Spotify on my Android phone I can only use SBC?
Yep, it’s been much discussed here. A major limitation, but it’s a limitation of the BT chip. Very few DAPs can actually receive aptx. If you need “quality” wireless, the only real solution is a Wi-Fi DAP, which costs $$$.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #5,212 of 6,262
Yep, it’s been much discussed here. A major limitation, but it’s a limitation of the BT chip. Very few DAPs can actually receive aptx. If you need “quality” wireless, the only real solution is a Wi-Fi DAP, which costs $$$.

I am sorry...

What if i buy a Aptx Bluetooth receiver. And connect it by a toslink to the Cayin?. If that's possible.
Is the processing done by the Cayin then?
Or just by the receiver which is not a good idea I think

Jan 4, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #5,213 of 6,262
Hi!

I'm thinking in buying this DAP, but I have some questions:
1 - The file limitation is still 20.000?
2 - The limitation is for listening in folder mode too?
3 - The limitation of 20.000 includes folders too? or only music files?
4 - Is easy to add musics to my favorite playlist? Is possible to save/export the favorite playlist? I use Google Music where I have all my music and one of the good things is the "thumbs up" option, where I can hear only the music I give a thumbs up, would love to have something like that in my dap.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #5,214 of 6,262
I am sorry...

What if i buy a Aptx Bluetooth receiver. And connect it by a toslink to the Cayin?. If that's possible.
Is the processing done by the Cayin then?
Or just by the receiver which is not a good idea I think
I don’t think the N3 has line in as far as I know...

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #5,216 of 6,262
Hi!

I'm thinking in buying this DAP, but I have some questions:
1 - The file limitation is still 20.000?
2 - The limitation is for listening in folder mode too?
3 - The limitation of 20.000 includes folders too? or only music files?
4 - Is easy to add musics to my favorite playlist? Is possible to save/export the favorite playlist? I use Google Music where I have all my music and one of the good things is the "thumbs up" option, where I can hear only the music I give a thumbs up, would love to have something like that in my dap.

#1 - I believe the 20,000 count limitation is for Tracks, and only for the indexed track info, under Music Category.
#2 - If your memory card has more than 20,000 tracks, you should be able to access all of them using the Music Library (Folder Browsing mode).
#3 - The number of folders shouldn't make any difference.
#4 - I haven't used the N3 to create any of my Playlists (I use some Linux bash shell scripts on my PC, and copy them to my DAPs). But, while a track is playing on the N3, if you press the Menu button (three horizontal lines), you can indicate that you like the track (select "Heart" shaped icon, and press center button), or add the track to a Playlist (select "List" shaped icon, and press center button).

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:20 PM Post #5,217 of 6,262
#1 - I believe the 20,000 count limitation is for Tracks, and only for the indexed track info, under Music Category.
#2 - If your memory card has more than 20,000 tracks, you should be able to access all of them using the Music Library (Folder Browsing mode).
#3 - The number of folders shouldn't make any difference.
#4 - I haven't used the N3 to create any of my Playlists (I use some Linux bash shell scripts on my PC, and copy them to my DAPs). But, while a track is playing on the N3, if you press the Menu button (three horizontal lines), you can indicate that you like the track (select "Heart" shaped icon, and press center button), or add the track to a Playlist (select "List" shaped icon, and press center button).

Thank you very much! I really want this player :)
I was asking because I saw this in the 2.0 firmware update:

"
New Functions and System Optimization

1. Incorporate HiByLink* to connect with HiByMusic App.

2. Increase file limit of Music Library from 12,000 titles to 20,000 titles"

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #5,218 of 6,262
DSD64 is the highest resolution file for N3 that will play through USB to coaxial out.And N3 can support upto DSD256 files locally through headphone. For diagram for the submenu, you could kindly refer to N3 manual:http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13509

Dear CayinSupport,
Happy New Year. Will the N3 play both DSD 2.8MHz and DSD 5.6MHz ? Thank you !

- Mark

Jan 4, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #5,219 of 6,262
Dear CayinSupport,
Happy New Year. Will the N3 play both DSD 2.8MHz and DSD 5.6MHz ? Thank you !

- Mark
The sampling frequency of DSD64 is 2.8Mhz and 5.6MHz is the sampling frequency of DSD128. N3 can play DSD64, DSD128, and DSD256 files locally through headphone out. By USB Audio out, N3 can support DSD 64, DSD128 files. But with coaxial out, N3 can work with DSD64 files.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Jan 7, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #5,220 of 6,262
It would be my guess that EAC isn't saving all of the info in the files - or saving it in tag names that the N3 isn't looking at.
You could easily check to see which tags have info, by loading the files into mp3tag on your PC.

Okay, so I've now downloaded mp3tag, but please, can anyone advise on how to use it? I've copied/linked an album to it so it's listed on the main screen. Filename and Path are populated but every other column to the right of these two are empty until you get to the Codec column, so I'm guessing this would explain why my N3 isn't recognising anything in the Music Category section and everything I load to it just ends up as a big long list of tracks.
I've tried finding a tutorial that would help me resolve this myself but I'm struggling to find one to talk me through my particular issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back