Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 25, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #4,306 of 6,262
Sep 25, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #4,307 of 6,262
Does anyone know if i can extract the signal from USB port into Cayin c5 using Cayin USB type C to 3.5mm adapter? Thanks. I bought one hopefully it worked but turned out it didn't , no signal at all.

This can't be done.

First of all, you need to differentiate the different between analog signal and digital signal. C5 is a portable analog headphone amplifier, it accepts analog signal (waveform), amplify it, and drive the headphone directly. The TypeC to coaxial cable, on the other hand, is a digital cable, it will extract audio data from ME in the format of SPDIF bitstream and deed to a digital analogy converter, or known as DAC in general. The DAC will CONVERT the bitstream to analog signal which can be used as input for C5, so it's Not surprised that C5 can't detect any signal when you plug the coaxial cable into it.

To cut the story short, if you want to use N3 with C5, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS cable, connect the line out of N3 to input of C5, set N3 output to line out and it will work, but the output from this setup probably will be too much for most IEM, so please use this with care .

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #4,308 of 6,262
This can't be done.

First of all, you need to differentiate the different between analog signal and digital signal. C5 is a portable analog headphone amplifier, it accepts analog signal (waveform), amplify it, and drive the headphone directly. The TypeC to coaxial cable, on the other hand, is a digital cable, it will extract audio data from ME in the format of SPDIF bitstream and deed to a digital analogy converter, or known as DAC in general. The DAC will CONVERT the bitstream to analog signal which can be used as input for C5, so it's Not surprised that C5 can't detect any signal when you plug the coaxial cable into it.

To cut the story short, if you want to use N3 with C5, you need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm TRS cable, connect the line out of N3 to input of C5, set N3 output to line out and it will work, but the output from this setup probably will be too much for most IEM, so please use this with care .
Thanks for the reply, I actually wanted to use the set up with fullsize can to begin with. I did try to use 3.5 output but was thinking if i could get a bit more of sound quality going this way but I guess I was wrong.

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #4,309 of 6,262
Hello Andy,

Is it possible to make a DIY cable for SPDIF and charging at the same time?

You use Type-C, pin A8 and B8 for SPDIF + and use GROUND for SPDIF -

To charge at same time, which pin do I use? Is it pin A4 and B9 for DC 5 volt + and pin GROUND for DC 5 volt - ?

Best,

Yes, this is technically feasible, the power circuit and S/PDIF are completely independent and they can operate concurrently, so if you have special need and you are familiar with DIY tools, you can make a DIY cable to do exactly what you have described.

Sep 26, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #4,310 of 6,262
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice on some Bluetooth noise cancelling headphones to use with this DAP, the two I'm looking at are the Sennheiser HD 4.50 and the Bose QC 35.

Everything I've read says go for the Bose, but they don't have APTX, and are double the price of the Sennheiser's.

Does anyone have any opinions on either? Thanks!

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,311 of 6,262
I'm sure this has been covered, but are there any suggestions for improving gapless playback? I still get gaps when I play lame mp3s at alt-preset-insane or 320kbps. It's quite the dealbreaker for me and I'm considering returning the unit, which I otherwise quite like.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #4,312 of 6,262
I'm sure this has been covered, but are there any suggestions for improving gapless playback? I still get gaps when I play lame mp3s at alt-preset-insane or 320kbps. It's quite the dealbreaker for me and I'm considering returning the unit, which I otherwise quite like.

For me gapless works perfectly... Pink Floyd is nothing without gapless... it is a dealbreaker indeed. I just use alac files

have you listened the same files in other devices with gapless??

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #4,313 of 6,262
For me gapless works perfectly... Pink Floyd is nothing without gapless... it is a dealbreaker indeed. I just use alac files

have you listened the same files in other devices with gapless??

Yes, every other device plays them perfectly: Foobar on PC, Poweramp on phone, FiiO X3, etc. Most of my mp3s are FLAC rips and I could possibly convert them to AAC or something that handles gapless better, but that requires extra work. And I do have some mp3s that I purchased as mp3s (couldn't find lossless), so transcoding those is not at all ideal.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #4,314 of 6,262
Yes, every other device plays them perfectly: Foobar on PC, Poweramp on phone, FiiO X3, etc. Most of my mp3s are FLAC rips and I could possibly convert them to AAC or something that handles gapless better, but that requires extra work. And I do have some mp3s that I purchased as mp3s (couldn't find lossless), so transcoding those is not at all ideal.

We have similar issue reported earlier on, I assume you are under similar situation?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...oax-out-for-150.833932/page-271#post-13707150

We have tested Gapless with FLAC and WAV and they are fine so far, we didn't aware of the gapless MP3 problem until earlier this month. We have included this into our Bud and requirement list which we revise and submit to our QA once per month, I haven't received any update so far, will check again when I resume from my sick leave. Just in case if our QA can't replicate the bug, I'll PM you and ask for your MP3 files for our follow up testing.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #4,315 of 6,262
Hey, finally joined the ranks of N3 owners. Pretty impressed so far. 1st thing that grabbed me was how well controlled the bass was - who doesn't love a tight bass:ksc75smile:

A couple of questions/clarifications:
What's the verdict on playlists? Here's a sample of an entry on my X3: B:\Tunes\Ernst Schlader\Clarinet, Basset Horn and Basset Clarinet\1-06 - 3. Polonaise - Quartett in Es-Dur für Klarinette, Violine, Viola & V'cello.flac. B:\ being the location of the SD card. What's the appropriate equivalent for the N3?
Second, I noticed that on shuffle there is a popping between tracks. Is this just that soft mute thing @Andykong mentioned the N3 does when switching formats/sample rates
I also noticed a ticking when using the N3 as a DAC. This isn't the same between tracks issue I mentioned above but faint random ticks while playing - sort like a vinyl click. Could this be cable problem? Driver? or something else?

I also found out that if you use the included DAP rubber, then a Fiio X3 (1st gen) stacking kit will (mostly) fit. Just needs to stretch the sides of the kit a wee bit, and add a bit of filler on the top due to the N3 being shorter than the X3.

Sep 28, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #4,316 of 6,262
Hey, finally joined the ranks of N3 owners. Pretty impressed so far. 1st thing that grabbed me was how well controlled the bass was - who doesn't love a tight bass:ksc75smile:

A couple of questions/clarifications:
What's the verdict on playlists? Here's a sample of an entry on my X3: B:\Tunes\Ernst Schlader\Clarinet, Basset Horn and Basset Clarinet\1-06 - 3. Polonaise - Quartett in Es-Dur für Klarinette, Violine, Viola & V'cello.flac. B:\ being the location of the SD card. What's the appropriate equivalent for the N3?
Second, I noticed that on shuffle there is a popping between tracks. Is this just that soft mute thing @Andykong mentioned the N3 does when switching formats/sample rates
I also noticed a ticking when using the N3 as a DAC. This isn't the same between tracks issue I mentioned above but faint random ticks while playing - sort like a vinyl click. Could this be cable problem? Driver? or something else?

I also found out that if you use the included DAP rubber, then a Fiio X3 (1st gen) stacking kit will (mostly) fit. Just needs to stretch the sides of the kit a wee bit, and add a bit of filler on the top due to the N3 being shorter than the X3.

Hi Mr Trev,
1.Do you mean the entry when N3 connect to a PC? I just connected my N3 to my PC and its entry was E:\Music\[DSD64] Elmar Oliveira - The Four Seasons Antonio Vivaldi.
2.For pop sound in N3 DAC mode, we had similar issue before and my colleague AndyKong has made a response:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...and-line-usb-coax-out-for-150.833932/page-264

Sep 28, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,317 of 6,262
Hi Mr Trev,
1.Do you mean the entry when N3 connect to a PC? I just connected my N3 to my PC and its entry was E:\Music\[DSD64] Elmar Oliveira - The Four Seasons Antonio Vivaldi.

Actually, I was looking for what drive letter (if any) the N3 looks for in the M3U playlist. With the Fiio X3, the internal memory is assigned A:, and the SD card is B:. I would assume the N3 would have assignments for the SD card as well as OTG - assuming you can make playlists using both location as source.

Sep 28, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #4,318 of 6,262
As usual, whenever we run into a problem, @docholliday will contribute at his best as our consultant, and @gLer will help out to get things coordinated. I am truly honored to have you two in our online N3 community, you are the kind of customers that make us feel proud with. I sincerely hope I can run into customers like you in my next product thread.

@mer, @chellity and several other users who has raised their concern about pop sound when N3 operates in USB DAC mode, we are sorry that our product has not functioned perfectly as specified in your setup. We’ll look into it carefully and if we identified issues that can be resolved in our end, we’ll definitely include it in our optimization plan. gLer has started a poll on this issue, this is a very helpful move and I am sure we can gathered some insight to the issue. I have asked my assistant to followup with the situation closely.

To explore the issue thoroughly, we need to have the following information:
  • N3 firmware number
  • USB TypeC cable used in the connection: stock cable in N3 package? Third party cable (please provide brand name)
  • Windows OS information: Window 7/8/8.1/10? Version number? (we know 1607 and 1703 might have compatibility problem)
  • PC hardware information: just rough data about CPU and RAM size.

For those who reported that they have the pop sound in their system, Cayinsupport will PM you for additional detail, we need to serial number of your N3 in order to rule out if this is a production batch issue.

Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience caused, we hope to find the solution to the problem ASAP and let our customer enjoy our product as we have advertised.

One last comment: we cannot rule out the possibility that the cable is contributed to the pop noise. USB is functioned as a digital cable in these scenarios, so we probably expect the digital bitstream should not be affected like a analogue interconnect. I agree to that in principle and wouldn’t doubt that if we are dealing with Coaxial or AES/EBU connection. However, please be reminded that USB cable also serves as a low-voltage electrical connection between N3 and the computer. The electrical current are passing from PC to N3 “concurrently” alongside the USB bitstream, so if the cable are not properly insulated, and if the USB power supply from the computer are not spark-free, then there is a chance that the USB bitstream will suffer electrical interference.

If you don’t buy my observation, I won’t argue with you on that, let treat this as a hypothesis at this moment and include it as a “may-be” factor in our subsequent exploration.

A little further info about things on my end…
• I'm currently using FW 2.1
• Using the included cable
• Windows 10, version 1703, build 15063.608 (latest version as of Tuesday). I'll check on my old Win 7 machine later and see if it has the same ticking issue
• My laptop has a 2.4 Ghz 6700HQ CPU and 8GB ram.

Like I mentioned the pop I get isn't between tracks but randomly while playing. Happens with all codecs/sample rates and both ASIO and WASAPI

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #4,319 of 6,262
Actually, I was looking for what drive letter (if any) the N3 looks for in the M3U playlist. With the Fiio X3, the internal memory is assigned A:, and the SD card is B:. I would assume the N3 would have assignments for the SD card as well as OTG - assuming you can make playlists using both location as source.
Use M3U8 with relative paths (not absolute) and all should be fine. So no drive letters, but relative to where the M3U8 is stored in comparison to where the music file is or relative to root.

Sep 28, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #4,320 of 6,262
Use M3U8 with relative paths (not absolute) and all should be fine. So no drive letters, but relative to where the M3U8 is stored in comparison to where the music file is or relative to root.

Thanks. For kicks lets say that my m3u8s live in a "playlist" folder but the music is in a different folder - in this case "music". Wouldn't relative paths just search in the "playlists" folder not the "music"?
Really, what I'm looking to do is load my m3u playlists from my X3 into a text editor and batch replace the locations to work on the N3 - change "B:" to whatever the N3 needs

I should apologize, I'm pretty clueless at Linux type shtuff - just ask my bricked NAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back