Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Sep 28, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #4,321 of 6,262
Thanks. For kicks lets say that my m3u8s live in a "playlist" folder but the music is in a different folder - in this case "music". Wouldn't relative paths just search in the "playlists" folder not the "music"?
Really, what I'm looking to do is load my m3u playlists from my X3 into a text editor and batch replace the locations to work on the N3 - change "B:" to whatever the N3 needs

I should apologize, I'm pretty clueless at Linux type shtuff - just ask my bricked NAS

If both the Playlists folder and the Music folder are at the root of your Memory Card, then the relative part of the m3u8 file entries, would be a pair of decimal points at the beginning, to denote going up one level, like this:

../Music/[folder with music]/[music track]

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #4,322 of 6,262
If both the Playlists folder and the Music folder are at the root of your Memory Card, then the relative part of the m3u8 file entries, would be a pair of decimal points at the beginning, to denote going up one level, like this:

../Music/[folder with music]/[music track]

Fantastic! That's exactly what I was looking for. Playlists, Ho!

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #4,323 of 6,262
Fantastic! That's exactly what I was looking for. Playlists, Ho!
Yes, .. (double dot) means "down a folder" and . (single dot) means "same folder". You can also just put /Music (slash only) at the beginning to tell it to go from root. So, if your playist is at /playlists/myplaylist1.m3u8 and music is at /music/artist/album/track, you could just put /Music/Pink Floyd/1979. The Wall/01. Hey You.flac and get it to play.

BTW, it's not just linux - the dot notation is fairly standard in UNIX, DOS, and yes, Windows (even macOS is based on BSD)!

You can also make it easy on yourself and install MediaMonkey - library cache the tracks, then build playlists from it and sync it to your card. That way, when music changes, your playlists will auto-update. It also give you a quick graphical interface to build your lists from.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #4,325 of 6,262
Yes, .. (double dot) means "down a folder" and . (single dot) means "same folder". You can also just put /Music (slash only) at the beginning to tell it to go from root. So, if your playist is at /playlists/myplaylist1.m3u8 and music is at /music/artist/album/track, you could just put /Music/Pink Floyd/1979. The Wall/01. Hey You.flac and get it to play.

BTW, it's not just linux - the dot notation is fairly standard in UNIX, DOS, and yes, Windows (even macOS is based on BSD)!

You can also make it easy on yourself and install MediaMonkey - library cache the tracks, then build playlists from it and sync it to your card. That way, when music changes, your playlists will auto-update. It also give you a quick graphical interface to build your lists from.

I use Musicbee to build my playlists, and it does have a "relative paths" option. It's just I have a bunch of playlists made for the X3 using "absolute paths" (so I can build off both internal and external storage) and wanted to find a lazy way to convert them (obviously not using internal storage locations, but is it possible for a playlist to access both the sd card and otg)

I was looking at some Anker USB cables over on Amazon (in case the ticking I get in DAC mode is cable related), and found one that has a resistor in it and one doesn't. What's the resistor for? Do I want it? For the recorded the resistored version was cheaper (both Powerline models)

Sep 30, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #4,326 of 6,262
I just received the latest USB driver from our Engineer, unfortunately I couldn't finish the English release note before we break for our 1 week National Holiday, so we probably won't be able to put it up onto our website officially until second week of October.

To speed things up, I have uploaded the driver to my Google Drive, for those who have experienced incompatible problem with latest version of Windows 10, you can give it a try. We have tested the driver with several versions of Windows installation, including 7,8, 8.1 and 10, they works pretty well in our setup but there are so many different versions of Windows in the market and we are not 100% sure that the retail version in China is identical to the retail version of the rest of the world, so please drop me a PM if you run into any problem, I'll try my best to follow up for you.

So here we go:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2hOfIpcK24hT3ZudWVCQ0xKRTg

Installation reminder:
Please remove your previous Cayin USB driver before you install the new driver
This version will cover Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10
You should be able to install the driver directly. If you run into any problem and cannot complete the installation, try to disable the Driver Signature Enforcement of your system. So far we only have problem with Win10 Pro (v1607), lets hope this is a unique case in our installation.

If you need a detail instructuion of the installation process, check out our notes in previous version, the procedure should be identical, we just need to redo the screen capture while later on:
http://en.cayin.cn/download/show?id=13481

I hope this will resolve some of the pop sound problem of N3 USB DAC, lets keep our finger crossed for that. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 30, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #4,327 of 6,262
I am considering buying the Massdrop O2+SDAC/AMP to use for my computer as well as with my Cayin N3. Does anyone know if you can use a USB Type C to Micro USB cable so you can use the O2 as an external DAC for the N3?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-o2-sdac-dac-amp

I found this while looking and decided to get one of these instead (for now) and it comes with many cable options including type-c to micro-usb and it claims to work with all phones too so it has a pretty good chance of working I think. It's a pretty good deal with all the cables it comes with. Apparently it literally just came out in the last week.

Topping NX2s DAC/AMP
https://www.amazon.com/Topping-NX2s-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B074W53BNG?th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4,328 of 6,262
We shall celebrate the Chinese National Day. Cayin will take a short break from 1-8 October and resume duty on 9th October 2017.

National Day 2017.jpg

To foster a proper customer service culture and avoid abuse of customer service, Cayin will acknowledge all email inquiry or service request within ONE business day, and provide official response within THREE business days.

Thank your very much for your kind attention.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Oct 1, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #4,329 of 6,262
We shall celebrate the Chinese National Day. Cayin will take a short break from 1-8 October and resume duty on 9th October 2017.

To foster a proper customer service culture and avoid abuse of customer service, Cayin will acknowledge all email inquiry or service request within ONE business day, and provide official response within THREE business days.

Thank your very much for your kind attention.

We thank you and all of the Cayin staff for your continued support and hope that you have a wonderful holiday.

Oct 2, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,331 of 6,262
I tried to pair my Cayin N3 to some headphones in Best Buy. The problem is it collected every set of headphones around including wireless speakers. (About 30 things) in the unpaired list. How do I get the Cayin to "forget" them? (You can get rid of things that have been paired but it doesn't seem to let you get rid of things that have never been paired!)

Nevermind.

Derp.

Just rescan. :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #4,333 of 6,262
As I understand, Cayin N3 uses different (better) amp for line-out. If yes, maybe it's possible to include line-out volume control in the upcoming update? It'd be interesting to connect line-out directly to a headphone.

Bad idea - the impedance will be in the kilo-ohm range - the line-out is designed to be used with an amp - not headphones.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #4,334 of 6,262
As I understand, Cayin N3 uses different (better) amp for line-out. If yes, maybe it's possible to include line-out volume control in the upcoming update? It'd be interesting to connect line-out directly to a headphone.

No. it uses the same. Search in this thread the exact explanation by Andy. But basically headphone out and line out share the same output as well as the exact same amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back