Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #4,352 of 6,262
Thanks for the reply I tried but I couldn't get sound

If you place the microSD card (with the music files) in a USB adapter, and connect it to the A/V Receiver - can the Receiver play the music files directly?

- OR -

Is the USB connection there so that the Receiver can operate as an external USB DAC?
I believe that people are able to use the N3 as a transport, sending the music over USB to external DACs, like the Chord Mojo.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #4,353 of 6,262
@dantesan Good to know you found what you like. I think it's not N3's fault you had gotten harsh sound, because V-shape sound has forward/pronounced highs, and it seems quite a challenge for $200- headphone to make it sound good, despite, from what I've read and heard myself, N3 softens highs a bit. I have PSB M4U 1 and really like it paired with N3. The sound can be described as neutral/warm, everything feels right, maybe except subtle lack in sparkle. I think you should try PSB M4U 1 or similar sound signature headphone. One reviewer found Meze 99 Classics to be a perfect match for N3, but it's $300.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,354 of 6,262
DSC_0265-01.jpeg Cayin n3 + little bumpers (capacitive touch). Because nothing beats muscle memory at night.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #4,355 of 6,262
@dantesan Good to know you found what you like. I think it's not N3's fault you had gotten harsh sound, because V-shape sound has forward/pronounced highs, and it seems quite a challenge for $200- headphone to make it sound good, despite, from what I've read and heard myself, N3 softens highs a bit. I have PSB M4U 1 and really like it paired with N3. The sound can be described as neutral/warm, everything feels right, maybe except subtle lack in sparkle. I think you should try PSB M4U 1 or similar sound signature headphone. One reviewer found Meze 99 Classics to be a perfect match for N3, but it's $300.

I wasn't implying there was a "problem" with the N3... just that I had yet to find what I consider a nice pairing for them that really justified buying a dedicated DAP for. However some people have found the N3's highs to be a bit too much. (In posts here even.) In the review at headphonics they even mention it as a good thing versus Shanling players that supposedly have more "veiled" highs.

I think the main issue I was having with the N3 is that they probably call for more expensive headphones than I'm willing to use anywhere outside of the house. (But the 4.20s Sennheisers fit the bill for good sound at an affordable price.) They also are amazingly portable for circumaural over-ears. I am a big man at 6"4' with a 48 inch waist size but I could shove them in my pocket folded if I really wanted to.

When I worked as a recording engineer I used Sony MDR-7506's for everything.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #4,356 of 6,262
Cayin n3 + little bumpers (capacitive touch). Because nothing beats muscle memory at night.

You know if they'd just made the white "charging light" lines between the capacitive buttons slightly raised it would be so much easier to feel where the capacitive buttons are. I've considered modding mine with little stripes of Sugru over those. Do they make clear/transparent Sugru? If not maybe a bit of superglue or... even some tiny stripes of scotch tape. Before I bought the N3 I thought those white stripes WERE raised. It just seems so obvious.

I looked it up. Sugru the company says transparent is impossible but recommends craft resin.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #4,357 of 6,262
You know if they'd just made the white "charging light" lines between the capacitive buttons slightly raised it would be so much easier to feel where the capacitive buttons are. I've considered modding mine with little stripes of Sugru over those. Do they make clear/transparent Sugru? If not maybe a bit of superglue or... even some tiny stripes of scotch tape. Before I bought the N3 I thought those white stripes WERE raised. It just seems so obvious.

I looked it up. Sugru the company says transparent is impossible but recommends craft resin.

Wait, in feeling for the raised bit, wouldn't you trigger the capacitive button anyway? :cold_sweat:

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #4,358 of 6,262
Since they've implemented the HiBy Link firmware in the N3, I find it much easier to control the DAP with the HiBy app on my Android phone or tablet. :ksc75smile:

Same goes for my Shanling M1 & M2s.

Oct 9, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,359 of 6,262
Since they've implemented the HiBy Link firmware in the N3, I find it much easier to control the DAP with the HiBy app on my Android phone or tablet. :ksc75smile:

Same goes for my Shanling M1 & M2s.

So, which one should I get :)

Just kidding. I know which one is right for me.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #4,361 of 6,262
Wait, in feeling for the raised bit, wouldn't you trigger the capacitive button anyway? :cold_sweat:

My hands naturally want to start where the lines are and move upward/downward from there... but much like the little bumps for touch typists on keyboards it would give me a starting point before pressing down. Just kinda graze your finger over the top till you find the bump first. (You could find the raised bump with your nails even.)

All that said I think they still should've done physical buttons.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #4,363 of 6,262
My hands naturally want to start where the lines are and move upward/downward from there... but much like the little bumps for touch typists on keyboards it would give me a starting point before pressing down. Just kinda graze your finger over the top till you find the bump first. (You could find the raised bump with your nails even.)

All that said I think they still should've done physical buttons.

I hear you on the physical buttons. Physical, tactile buttons are why I still use my iRiver H320 in the car.

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #4,364 of 6,262
Hi fellow Forum members,greetings from Thailand..:)

I just came back after picking up my N3 that i bought on Joybuy..Had 83% charge when i got it,but i plugged it in for a fast top up.Then i did the software update..went without any hickups at all.My red little Devil and i will have a go at eachother later tonight..Thanks to all who was involved in creating this little DAP..Back to testing now..well first some Bacon and Cheese infuse Meatloaf with home made Mash..:wink:...I hope i made you drool now..hehe.

Have a great day everyone..:)

Edit 1: So far after 2-3 hours listen to mostly Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits in FLAC with my 1More Quad's...awsome..so far so good..Haven't change anything at all when it comes to settings in N3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back