Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 22, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #466 of 6,262
My N3 is on its way! I'll post pics and my thoughts asap.

Excellent!  Let's hope it gets a good review from you....or the Head-Fi forum may rapidly sink into serious depression.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #468 of 6,262
If you are going to use the "device" as USB DAC for your laptop, I'll advice you consider option (1) seriously, and you should consider option (3) if you haven't find anything that fit your bill from route (1).

Lithium battery is generally very reliable, but if you really are going to use the DAP 12 hours everyday (i.e., 1 battery cycle per day), then the battery properly will run down in 2 years time, that's why I recommend you go for a non-battery based product if your utilization is 100% desktop.

Your comments here bring up a question for me.  Can this DAP still be used while it is plugged into a power outlet for charging?  I ask this because I can listen to music on my Sony A17 while charging it at home while it is charging via a power outlet.   This is important for me because I like to use my DAP on the go and at home and like not running down the battery when using at home.

Mar 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #469 of 6,262
Cayin will be demonstrated at Headroom 2017at Metropolis Studios, Chiswick, London on 24th - 25th March, 2017.

http://head-room.co.uk/#exhibitors

We shall demo together with oBrovo Audio at Studio A Recording. David from oBrovo is my personal friend and he shall demonstrate his unique range of Planar and AMT headphones and IEMs. You should be able to find N3 DAP, i5 DAP, C5 portable headphone amplifier and C5DAC Portable DAC/amp at the oBrovo booth.

We want to thank Phil Wannell of Audio Sanctuary for including Cayin in the show at last minute. He has been very supportive and helpful, if you happen to enjoy the Cayin products at the headroom show, please thank Phil on my behalf, he is the only reason to make this happen.

Hi Andy,
Looking forward to hearing at headroom.
Will there be stock available to buy on the day?
Cheers

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #470 of 6,262
You want a DAP with Wifi capability, and you want to install streaming application on the DAP? I don't think you have a lot of choice in the current DAP market and all of them are Android based, our i5 DAP is one of them, and that's a completely different ball game when compare to N3 DAP. You can check out our i5 discussion thread if you are interested in an Android DAP with streaming capability.

@Andykong - Thanks for the reply.  I didn't think I had seen any non-Android DAPs with WiFi capabilities.
I have been following the i5 thread.

Last Fall, I did buy an Onkyo DP-X1, and have rooted it, and installed Viper4Andriod and the Xposed Framework (plus adblocking modules).
I'm not terribly impressed with the range of the wireless features (WiFi & Bluetooth) on the DP-X1, but the audio quality is very nice.

Thanks again,
David Baldock

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #472 of 6,262
Thanks for your support, Did you have a good time during your visit to Cayin's booth? I hope you'll be similarly impressed when you had a better opportunity to check out the sound signature of N3 again, probably in a more relax audition environment and were given more time to try it at your own pace.

Definitely looking forward to hearing it again

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #473 of 6,262
Hong Kong is still planning for the N3 launch, in fact I just completed a N3 Introductory night with 20 headfier in Hong Kong tonight. I don't exactly recall the launch date of N3 in Hong Kong but I believe that will be sometime next week.

However, I would like to remind you that Cayin DAP didn't come with International warranty, if you were to buy your N3 in Hong Kong, you might need to send the DAP back to the shop in Hong Kong when you run into trouble with your DAP in the future.

Thanks Andy! I purchased the i5 instead :smiley:

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #474 of 6,262
I'd love to review the Cayin N3. I'll save up for it though. I tried the Pre-production N3 back in Early February and my memory of it is hazy.

MusicTeck finally got it for sale in the store.

Mar 22, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #475 of 6,262
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #476 of 6,262
If you are going to use the "device" as USB DAC for your laptop, I'll advice you consider option (1) seriously, and you should consider option (3) if you haven't find anything that fit your bill from route (1).

Lithium battery is generally very reliable, but if you really are going to use the DAP 12 hours everyday (i.e., 1 battery cycle per day), then the battery properly will run down in 2 years time, that's why I recommend you go for a non-battery based product if your utilization is 100% desktop.

Thank you!

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #477 of 6,262
Very interesting, I wouldn't expect the first open-box video of production version N3 comes from Russia, this is a nice surprise indeed.

Unfortunately I don't know whether he is happy with N3 or not, let's assume he likes it so far as we didn't see him smashing the DAP at the end of the video. I'll be most appreciated if someone can summarize the video briefly. :beerchug:

So Andy, are you saying that if we don't like N3 we should make a video where we smash it? Bold suggestion, my friend :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back