Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 23, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #481 of 6,262
Yes, this will work fine, we have tested the scenario already:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/833932/coming-soon-cayin-n3-hi-res-dap-with-akm4490-dac-apt-x-bluetooth-and-line-usb-coax-out-for-under-200/195#post_13317549

Hi @Andykong as im getting my N3 soon, can i ask how you achieved the linked post

Ill have my N3 connected to mojo via USB out and i have an android phone that i want to use as the controller.  I take i turn on BT on N3 and connect to it from the phone but is there a special app i need to use or anything else as im not sure how i control it.

Thanks
Michael

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #482 of 6,262
I know that N3 is not designed to be taken apart, but will it be possible at all for the user to replace the battery after it stops holding a charge? I will be using this pretty heavily & this is the only reason that is stopping me from getting this DAP & look at other options like a USB DAC. This will be a significant investment for me & I would hate if it would stop holding a charge after 2-3 years of use. But I would love to have a dedicated DAP instead of other options like a portable DAC and using dongles to connect to my laptop & phone. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #484 of 6,262
  Mine's on its way to me right now...USPS from Musicteck

So is mine also from Musicteck.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #488 of 6,262
I'll buy this next Friday. Only after hearing some impressions about it. I got the Phantom Master going along with that too.

Btw, looks like MusicTeck has it on Amazon now too, both Black and Cyan models.

Btw^2, my conspiracy theory about Cyan color - from a distance Cyan and Cayin kind of "look" similar
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #489 of 6,262
Btw, looks like MusicTeck has it on Amazon now too, both Black and Cyan models.

Btw^2, my conspiracy theory about Cyan color - from a distance Cyan and Cayin kind of "look" similar :D

Yeah. I noticed that about the Cyan and Cayin similarities. Maybe that's why I prefer it in Cyan. Thanks for providing the links to the N3. Tenafly, NJ isn't that far from me. So the N3 will get to me very quickly.

Mar 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #490 of 6,262
  The Chinese post is saying N3 as an "elven singer".

Well, 'Sing the Elf' is even better.

Elvin Singer taught me Calculus in high school. 

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #491 of 6,262
Any opinion if this is better than the Cowon Plenue D?  Sound, interface, amp output?

(All AIFF from Mac here.) 

Mar 24, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #492 of 6,262
So i have my N3 in hand.  First impressions are its very well packaged and a silicone case is included.  i got a black player and black case not sure on colour with the Cyan player.  Basic functions are ok but turned off the button feedback straight away, that would get annoying.  Size is great just big enough to hols and a little bigger than Mojo so great for stacking.

Sound was ok out the headphone out but i am using the Audeze Sine which is quite hard to drive so connected up the Mojo and tested the usb out, this worked fine even though im using a usb micro OTG cable with a USB C adapter.

then tested the bluetooth remote control which i couldnt get working, N3 was connected to phone but all the apps i have downloaded could not see it.  I then tried with MPDaemon  and MPdroid.  Somehow this works im not totally sure what i did but hey ho.  Only issue is the MPdroid app dosent have a tracks option, just Genere, Album Artist & Playlists.

I have tested the bluetooth to my Onkyo 500BT yes that will be tomorrow as im out for the night now.

2 Issues ive found so far

1 all the Themes seem to be the same no change from A-D unless im doing something wrong.

2 i cant get playlists to work.  To get around the above issue with MPDroid, i created a m3u playlist from the SD card using playlist creator app on pc.  I have put music and playlist in seperate folders on root of card but just get message saying no files in playlist when choosing the playlist option.

Not sure if anything can be done.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #493 of 6,262
Mine'll be in hand soon enough, but in the mean time... does it seem to have much UI lag and does it have artifacting at the beginning of the track when you return to the beginning while playing? That's two of the biggest gripes about the X1-II, so if it doesn't have that, it'd be about perfect.

Now we just need ReplayGain and a *leather* case for it; silicone cases suck.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #495 of 6,262
Yes, a leather case would be good, and even Rockbox has ReplayGain.

Mine'll be in hand soon enough, but in the mean time... does it seem to have much UI lag and does it have artifacting at the beginning of the track when you return to the beginning while playing? That's two of the biggest gripes about the X1-II, so if it doesn't have that, it'd be about perfect.

Now we just need ReplayGain and a *leather* case for it; silicone cases suck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back