Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 24, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #511 of 6,262
I'd like to see a pic of the N3 stacked on the Mojo for size reference? The M1 was tiny, but the Jog wheel bothered me. I also would like the Coax into the Mojo (if it sounds better than USB). 

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #512 of 6,262
Andykong

In regards to the themes I'd like to see simpler designs used as a background image when no album art is used. A small choice of colours and a black theme with light text is always a good option.

I have to say, I really don't like the start up and close down animations, I think they are a little rushed feeling. Sorry!

In the short time I've used the N3 I'm extremely impressed. Good work everyone involved. :thumbsup_tone1:

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #514 of 6,262
  I'd like to see a pic of the N3 stacked on the Mojo for size reference? The M1 was tiny, but the Jog wheel bothered me. I also would like the Coax into the Mojo (if it sounds better than USB). 

Here you go.  Its a very good size for me enough that i can pick up without touching the mojo buttons but not too big that it gets in the way.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #515 of 6,262
Glad to know several members of this forum has received their N3 in past few hours. I hope you like what you received. I shall feedback to several questions "collectively":

(1) The current N3 firmware will only provide one set of theme, but we have designed the system to accommodate multiple themes, and we shall deliver more themes in subsequent firmware update. The alternative themes will mainly changed the color and tone of the interface, it will not be a significant different from the current theme. Since we are still working on this, maybe you can suggest your preferred color for the alternative themes, we'll consider all suggestion from our users.

(2) The N3 should have enough power to handle the Audeze iSine20. As a matter of fact, we have used the iSine20 as one of our demo IEM at the CanJam Singapore and there are several visitors tried the N3/iSine20 pair and like them a lot.

(3) The N3 might sound harsh when it is fresh out of the box, please be patient and let it run for a few days before you make your final decision on the sound quality. There are relays and components in the circuit that will be benefited after break-in, I am not talking about a really long 500 hours break-in before it sounds right, but 2 days continuous playback should serve the purpose.

(4) The N3 player might appear to be fully charged when open-boxed, but that can be an unreliable battery reading and the battery will run down very quickly. That is a common issue to brand new Lithium battery, just use it and charge it up as usual, the Lithium battery should "wake up" and perform as suggested after several charging cycle.

If you run into any bug or problem, feel free to raise it here. I shall take note and follow up with them promptly.

Hi  Andy

May i say that even after so little time with N3 it is a very nice little player, Cayin have done well with this.

In regards to themes can we get the orange from the N5 i really liked that.  

Im using the Audeze Sine, not the iSine but the full size planer headhones.  Im going to let the player settle in and then try direct again but as the USB audio functions i cant see why i would ever need too but i will retest and give it a proper listen.    

Only issue i can see so far is playlists but this is not something ive ever used before so it could be me but i cant get them too work, any advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #516 of 6,262
Here you go.  Its a very good size for me enough that i can pick up without touching the mojo buttons but not too big that it gets in the way.

Awesome! Thank You!

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #517 of 6,262
Order placed with advmp3 :) - my sons first DAP.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #518 of 6,262
Wonder if N3 they had at the show was burn in already, did you ask Phil?

Yeah, just tried N3 engineering sample with Vega, great pair up.

Sounded smooth enough, so it might have been, my impression was it was nothing to do with Phil, but maybe the Obravo guy's, there was an i5 too

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #519 of 6,262
Played the bluetooth today and sounded very good.  I was also connected to my phone at the same time and got a call, the music stopped and the call started and when the call ended the music started again which is a bit of a bonus. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #520 of 6,262
I've actually noticed an issue with Bluetooth in the car. The N3 connected fine but when i try to select music to playback...Nothing. The artwork, track details etc all show but the tracks don't play.

Any idea of the problem Andykong? It's an Opel intellilink media system from 2016.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #521 of 6,262
Well, the N3 is really good. It boots up much faster than the X1-II and the UI is smooth, without the lag of the X1-II. The screen resolution is much cripser and it shows more of the album cover (still not the full square, but more than the 1/2 cover of the X1.

It scans ~5000 FLAC 16/44 and 24/96 files in about 20-25s instead of the 2m of the X1. There is NO artifacting at the beginning of tracks when you restart play ("rewind") a song. Gapless is working flawlessly. It does not have the ability to disable the auto card scan when you insert a card, which would be nice so that when you pull the card and copy a file off with no new content, it doesn't rescan. The other thing that is kinda different is that the card goes into the slot upside down (contact pads facing the front of the unit).

The AKM filters are clean and function well (the X1 doesn't have these). The extra bands on the EQ are nice, the X1 had limited bands; it made it hard to notch filter out certain peaks in some IEMs (JH-5). 

The silicone case is nice, but I hate silicone cases, so a leather one in the future would be good. But, the card slot is on the side instead of the bottom like the X1. That's good, as the case covers up the card when it's on so that you don't have a chance of losing the card from hard shock. 

Sound-wise, the N3 is much crisper and cleaner than the X1. The AK4490 is a richer converter and it shows. Still needs ReplayGain...

Not that the X1-II is a bad player - it's not and especially at the $99 price point. But, the firmware of the N3 is flawless (so far) and Fiio has been dragging their feet on the X1 firmware with some annoying bugs. The N3, right out of the box, is worth that extra $50!

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #522 of 6,262
  Well, the N3 is really good. It boots up much faster than the X1-II and the UI is smooth, without the lag of the X1-II. The screen resolution is much cripser and it shows more of the album cover (still not the full square, but more than the 1/2 cover of the X1.

It scans ~5000 FLAC 16/44 and 24/96 files in about 20-25s instead of the 2m of the X1. There is NO artifacting at the beginning of tracks when you restart play ("rewind") a song. Gapless is working flawlessly. It does not have the ability to disable the auto card scan when you insert a card, which would be nice so that when you pull the card and copy a file off with no new content, it doesn't rescan. The other thing that is kinda different is that the card goes into the slot upside down (contact pads facing the front of the unit).

The AKM filters are clean and function well (the X1 doesn't have these). The extra bands on the EQ are nice, the X1 had limited bands; it made it hard to notch filter out certain peaks in some IEMs (JH-5). 

The silicone case is nice, but I hate silicone cases, so a leather one in the future would be good. But, the card slot is on the side instead of the bottom like the X1. That's good, as the case covers up the card when it's on so that you don't have a chance of losing the card from hard shock. 

Sound-wise, the N3 is much crisper and cleaner than the X1. The AK4490 is a richer converter and it shows. Still needs ReplayGain...

Not that the X1-II is a bad player - it's not and especially at the $99 price point. But, the firmware of the N3 is flawless (so far) and Fiio has been dragging their feet on the X1 firmware with some annoying bugs. The N3, right out of the box, is worth that extra $50!

Pretty much what I was expecting after my time with it at Canjam SG. Well I gave the X1ii to my wife weeks ago as it was too frustrating for me to use on a daily basis. The N3 is a very likely candidate for my next DAP unless I decide to go balanced.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #524 of 6,262
I've actually noticed an issue with Bluetooth in the car. The N3 connected fine but when i try to select music to playback...Nothing. The artwork, track details etc all show but the tracks don't play.

Any idea of the problem @Andykong? It's an Opel intellilink media system from 2016.

Your issue might have nothing to do with this but I wish Cayin used at least bluetooth 4.1, if not 4.2. You would think that if bluetooth function is incorporated in a $150 DAP, it would be the latest version so that it can be future proof for at least a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back