Cayin N3 Hi-Res DAP with AKM4490 DAC, apt-X Bluetooth, and Line, USB & Coax Out for $150
Mar 22, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #451 of 6,262
jinxy245 - I haven't heard AP60, so I can't comment on that. I have heard some say that AP60 comes close to Shanling M1 for sound quality. I can assure you that Cayin N3 has better sound quality than Shanling M1. I'm just waiting on on the full production model before I comment on full functionality. For instance, I can't test duplex Bluetooth with the engineering sample. I know my M1 has some Bluetooth issues that crop up over extended listening sessions - sound starts crackling at the end of a show on netflix over Bluetooth for example. I'm hoping The N3 doesn't suffer from these issues, as well.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #452 of 6,262
@jinxy245 - I haven't heard AP60, so I can't comment on that. I have heard some say that AP60 comes close to Shanling M1 for sound quality. I can assure you that Cayin N3 has better sound quality than Shanling M1. I'm just waiting on on the full production model before I comment on full functionality. For instance, I can't test duplex Bluetooth with the engineering sample. I know my M1 has some Bluetooth issues that crop up over extended listening sessions - sound starts crackling at the end of a show on netflix over Bluetooth for example. I'm hoping The N3 doesn't suffer from these issues, as well.

I will compare ap60 to N3 once production N3 is available for testing.  I have received ap60 awhile back, but chose not to review it, only provided impressions because it was really not my cup of tea (warm sound, poor sub-bass extension, strong hissing, and very bad ergonomics with cramped touch-sensor buttons - HiFiChris generous 3-star review summarized it very well).

But lets get back to N3 topic.  Hopefully MusicTeck will have it soon in stock!

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #453 of 6,262
I'm still trying to decide between this DAP and the much more expensive new Fiio X5. I wonder what the extra dac in that brings to the table compared to the N3 (in a non-balanced configuration). Maybe enough is just enough..
tongue.gif

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #454 of 6,262
First impressions (in Russian): https://youtu.be/EO3UII4dmBU

Very interesting, I wouldn't expect the first open-box video of production version N3 comes from Russia, this is a nice surprise indeed.

Unfortunately I don't know whether he is happy with N3 or not, let's assume he likes it so far as we didn't see him smashing the DAP at the end of the video. I'll be most appreciated if someone can summarize the video briefly. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Mar 22, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #455 of 6,262
Given the lack of information on the X3-III and when it will be available the N3 may be the best option for me to.  But I will hold off until there are some reviews and feedback before spending the money.  Avgearshop is relatively close to me so I will try to audition the N3 once released.  I don't like being an early adopter so I will wait and see and yes maybe in the interim some information will come out on the X3-III.  

I am looking at the A35 as well so if I can wait until all the DAP's are available I can demo them all and then make the best choice.  The N3 looks really good for the money but then you could say the same thing about the X1-II prior to release.  If I had gone strictly on specs and the shiny new case I would be kicking myself right now for buying the X1-II.  

Chinese DAP makers don't have the best track record and I have never owned a Cayin product before so I will take my time and make sure it is as good as it appears to be.  

The UI has been described as being similar to FiIO (X1, X3II, X5II), Shanling (M series), or like the other Cayin models (not the i5), or in the style of Hiby. That UI is pretty stable and very usable (for my needs as a folder browser) across each of those platforms. I'd suspect the N3 should work fine out of the box without too many bugs. Videos make it look promising that is for sure. I just want some sound impressions and overall user impressions before I buy one (hence why I didn't jump on the Massdrop).

No offense to anyone but until I get one in my hands to evaluate myself I will hold off spending the money. I am interested in bluetooth and the N3 video review I did watch did not touch on bluetooth functionality. Bluetooth is poor on the X1-II and apparently the Shanling M1 also has had some bluetooth issues. So I want to wait until some users post their experiences with bluetooth on the N3.

These are very good advice, and I do encourage customers to take your time in selecting your DAP purchases, especially if you are new to this hobby and everything seems very attractive and fit your needs "exactly". Cayin appreciate how difficult it is when you need to select your next DAP based on written description an d specification only, so we shall organize a N3 world tour as soon as possible (probably early April given the current oversee market response). Our Cayin i5 tour was one the biggest DAP tour in HeadFi, only 50 reviewers has signed up and we have generated a lot of honest, impartial reviews/impressions from genius user perspectives. Hopefully the N3 tour will be similar in scale and commitment, so please stay tune for that if you want to check out more opinion before making your final decision.

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #456 of 6,262

First impressions (in Russian): https://youtu.be/EO3UII4dmBU

Very interesting, I wouldn't expect the first open-box video of production version N3 comes from Russia, this is a nice surprise indeed.

Unfortunately I don't know whether he is happy with N3 or not, let's assume he likes it so far as we didn't see him smashing the DAP at the end of the video. I'll be most appreciated if someone can summarize the video briefly.
beerchug.gif

Very positive first impression from the video.  Reviewer was very impressed with N3 and all the features it has to offer.  He complimented packaging, accessories, and design.  The only negative he mentioned are the front touch buttons which he wasn't crazy about and wished instead to have 4-directional D-pad with a center button.  He also went into a short comparison with Shanling M1 where he mentioned that N3 destroys it in sound comparison.  He also put it against AP60 and PAW5000 but only commented about overall dimensions, not as much about the sound, though he complimented N3 sound enough to let you know his personal preference.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #457 of 6,262
I spent some time with the N3 at Canjam in Singapore. I can guarantee you that the UI is snappy and responsive and is leagues ahead of the X1ii (talking about the UI ONLY).

Thanks for your support, Did you have a good time during your visit to Cayin's booth? I hope you'll be similarly impressed when you had a better opportunity to check out the sound signature of N3 again, probably in a more relax audition environment and were given more time to try it at your own pace.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #458 of 6,262
Hi everyone, I am relatively new to DAPs and wondering if anyone can give me advice about buying my next DAP.

I usually listen to music from my laptop or a low-end Android phone. Both of them have pretty awful DACs and the SQ is terrible with them. I usually use only iems and HD598 to listen to my music. So, I don't think I need a powerful amp. I am hearing a lot of good things about the N3, but there are three other choices I am considering, if I want to keep my budget as low as possible:

1. Get the Dragonfly Black (DFB) version 1.5 & use it with both my laptop and android phone. Is the DFB's SQ going to be anywhere close to the N3?

2. Get a cheap Chinese phone like the PPTV King 7s for about $130 (it has ESS Sabre ES9018K2M DAC + Maxim MAX97220 +  NXP Smart PA audio chips). The advantage is that I don't have to carry an extra DAP everywhere I go & I can replace my current low-end phone too with this option, all for <150. The disadvantages are that it will not act like an external DAC for my laptop & I am wary of using phones designed for Chinese markets.

3. Or just get the Cayin N3. If I do this, can it also act like a good DAC for my laptop? I am hoping that I can help the N3's battery to last longer by connecting it to my laptop as I believe N3's battery is not replaceable. This option will, however, stretch my budget to the maximum.

Thank you.

Thank you!

Regarding option 3, I am thinking of using N3 as a DAC with my laptop because I listen to music all day and I am worried that the N3's battery life will be shortened pretty fast if I use it as a DAP all the time. This, however, wouldn't be a problem if there is a way to replace the battery.

If you are going to use the "device" as USB DAC for your laptop, I'll advice you consider option (1) seriously, and you should consider option (3) if you haven't find anything that fit your bill from route (1).

Lithium battery is generally very reliable, but if you really are going to use the DAP 12 hours everyday (i.e., 1 battery cycle per day), then the battery properly will run down in 2 years time, that's why I recommend you go for a non-battery based product if your utilization is 100% desktop.

Mar 22, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #459 of 6,262
But, I think I'd rather have a simple, purpose built DAP, like the N3, rather than using a smartphone for regular music listening.
It would be nice if the the N3 had a good WiFi radio, to allow for streamed music, without having to link via Bluetooth to a phone or tablet.

You want a DAP with Wifi capability, and you want to install streaming application on the DAP? I don't think you have a lot of choice in the current DAP market and all of them are Android based, our i5 DAP is one of them, and that's a completely different ball game when compare to N3 DAP. You can check out our i5 discussion thread if you are interested in an Android DAP with streaming capability.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #460 of 6,262
Andykong

I may have missed this but any release date for the N3? I auditioned it at CanJam SG and i liked it a lot. I have a trip next week to HK and i was wondering if the local HK retailers will have them 1st?

Hong Kong is still planning for the N3 launch, in fact I just completed a N3 Introductory night with 20 headfier in Hong Kong tonight. I don't exactly recall the launch date of N3 in Hong Kong but I believe that will be sometime next week.

However, I would like to remind you that Cayin DAP didn't come with International warranty, if you were to buy your N3 in Hong Kong, you might need to send the DAP back to the shop in Hong Kong when you run into trouble with your DAP in the future.

Mar 22, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #461 of 6,262
Thanks for the reply.
Know someone, can I buy the Cayin N3 in Shanghai?

Based on what you have stated, I assume you are not based in Mainland China in person and is relying on a friend to buy it from China on your behalf.

I would like to remind you that Cayin DAP didn't come with International warranty, if you were to buy your N3 in Shanghai, you might need to send the DAP back to the shop in Shanghai when you run into trouble with your DAP in the future.

By the way, where are you based? Maybe you can find an authorized dealer in your neighborhood?
http://en.cayin.cn/netword?c=129&ctype=2

Mar 22, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #464 of 6,262
Cayin will be demonstrated at Headroom 2017at Metropolis Studios, Chiswick, London on 24th - 25th March, 2017.

http://head-room.co.uk/#exhibitors

We shall demo together with oBrovo Audio at Studio A Recording. David from oBrovo is my personal friend and he shall demonstrate his unique range of Planar and AMT headphones and IEMs. You should be able to find N3 DAP, i5 DAP, C5 portable headphone amplifier and C5DAC Portable DAC/amp at the oBrovo booth.

We want to thank Phil Wannell of Audio Sanctuary for including Cayin in the show at last minute. He has been very supportive and helpful, if you happen to enjoy the Cayin products at the headroom show, please thank Phil on my behalf, he is the only reason to make this happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back