Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Sep 4, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #1,171 of 3,742
Has anyone tried installing Tidal app? How is streaming in lossless hifi?

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,173 of 3,742
  I agree, gapless playback is a pretty big deal for me. especially in a quality mid-fi DAP. 

My dx80 does it very well. I kinda expected the i5 to have it already implemented. 

Only thing stopping me from getting i5 is lack of gapless.  It's frustrating that Cayin and others just don't get it, particularly when ipods have been doing it natively for years.  I'm starting to lose track of how many players I've rejected due to gapless.

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #1,174 of 3,742
I've been streaming from my minimserver libraries on my 2 NAS with no issue.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice. I've neglected setting up a NAS for a long time, and getting the Cayin would be a perfect excuse to set one up!

Only thing stopping me from getting i5 is lack of gapless.  It's frustrating that Cayin and others just don't get it, particularly when ipods have been doing it natively for years.  I'm starting to lose track of how many players I've rejected due to gapless.

I'm kinda hesitant as well. Seems like any DAP geared towards audiophiles should have gapless implemented from the start. Especially when players half its price have it. Hopefully they'll listen to our feedback here.

Sep 4, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #1,180 of 3,742
There is the setting for gapless though

It does seem to work well in my case though I don't have much tracks that need gapless.

Is it just the case that is not enabled by default, then? That seems to be the case with most DAPs for some reason that is completely unfathomable to me...

Sep 5, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #1,182 of 3,742

Nice. I've neglected setting up a NAS for a long time, and getting the Cayin would be a perfect excuse to set one up!

I'm kinda hesitant as well. Seems like any DAP geared towards audiophiles should have gapless implemented from the start. Especially when players half its price have it. Hopefully they'll listen to our feedback here.

There is the setting for gapless though

It does seem to work well in my case though I don't have much tracks that need gapless.

i5 has Gapless from the very beginning, but it doesn't work flawlessly, if you were listen to some classical album, you can notice a momentarily pause during track changing, this can be disturbing as changing movement in a classical piece should be seamless and Cayin i5 didn't meet that requirement yet.

We do aware of the gapless requirements and our previous DAP, N5 and N6 has implemented that satisfactory, so to certain extend I agree that there are cheaper DAP that can do this right, our N5 is an example of that. Unfortunately our previous effort in Gapless implementation cannot transfer to i5 directly because of the Android platform, which is not the best system for hard-core audio requirements.

I think the case has been mislead. Cayin has listened to user feedback sincerely and we have responded publicly that Gapless refinement is in our to-do list. The disagreement was on the priority of the feature. The player was launched at mid-July at Singapore (the first International market for i5), and we haven been working on urgent bugs and promised features (such as USB-Audio support) in past few weeks, We have to put all the refinement requirements to a lower priority.

It is easy enough to say we are working on it right now and find another excuse to delay at next firmware release. On the other hands, Cayin wants to be as transparent and honest as possible, we advice potential customers who consider Gapless as top-priority to either WAIT until we have new announcement on this feature, or audition the unit before you jump on board. For customers who had bought our i5 already and is looking forwards to an improved Gapless, please be patient and be assured that we have put this into the to-do list, and will come back to this features later. I hope this will clarify our thoughts and position on the Gapless issue.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #1,183 of 3,742
No worries, I believe most users will be patient enough to wait for the relevant update. As long as we know you have it on the "to do list".
Am not sure in how far the files play a role for gapless. I have tons of live albums, on some gapless works fine, on some you have 
a noticeable gap. All of them are in FLAC format.

For live albums where I know already that the gap is noticeable I use then Neutron or Poweramp. The Hiby-app on my phone before also 
didn't manage gapless flawlessly.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #1,184 of 3,742
No worries, I believe most users will be patient enough to wait for the relevant update. As long as we know you have it on the "to do list".
Am not sure in how far the files play a role for gapless. I have tons of live albums, on some gapless works fine, on some you have 
a noticeable gap. All of them are in FLAC format.

For live albums where I know already that the gap is noticeable I use then Neutron or Poweramp. The Hiby-app on my phone before also 
didn't manage gapless flawlessly.

The new v1.8 will release in around 3 days time. One of the bug fixed is to normalized the volume level of third party applications, this will encourage the use of third party music players such as Neutron and Poweramp on i5, you can consider this as a temporary option for gapless requirements.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 5, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #1,185 of 3,742
The new v1.8 will release in around 3 days time. One of the bug fixed is to normalized the volume level of third party applications, this will encourage the use of third party music players such as Neutron and Poweramp on i5, you can consider this as a temporary option for gapless requirements.

Hello, will this firmware also implement the USB DAC functionality? 

Happy to know that the volume level mismatch issue for 3rd party apps is finally getting fixed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back