Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384 PCM + 64/128 DSD
Sep 5, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #1,187 of 3,742
Hello, will this firmware also implement the USB DAC functionality? 

Happy to know that the volume level mismatch issue for 3rd party apps is finally getting fixed!

andy emphasized that USB DAC functionality is the main priority for next FW update.

Unfortunately the USB DAC didn't make it in this round, we tested the latest version but the result is unsatisfactory, we have to improve the USB DAC SQ before we can roll it out.

In our original plan, this will be v2.0 version, but because of the missing USB DAC function, we step down to v1.8 and reserve the benchmark number to the next release.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 5, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #1,188 of 3,742
Unfortunately the USB DAC didn't make it in this round, we tested the latest version but the result is unsatisfactory, we have to improve the USB DAC SQ before we can roll it out.

In our original plan, this will be v2.0 version, but because of the missing USB DAC function, we step down to v1.8 and reserve the benchmark number to the next release.

For me, USB DAC application is quite important. I use it often. Hopefully the v2.0 could provide USB DAC function with good sound!
Currently reviewing AK70, besides the common Windows driver (Direct Sound) which works ok, the USB DAC function only compatible with foobar WASAPI (push) and not working well with WASAP (event). Kindly please test the USB DAC function of i5 with WASAPI driver. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,189 of 3,742
For me, USB DAC application is quite important. I use it often. Hopefully the v2.0 could provide USB DAC function with good sound!
Currently reviewing AK70, besides the common Windows driver (Direct Sound) which works ok, the USB DAC function only compatible with foobar WASAPI (push) and not working well with WASAP (event). Kindly please test the USB DAC function of i5 with WASAPI driver. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion, will remind our engineer to take precaution of foobar compatibility issue. :beerchug:

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,190 of 3,742
i5 has Gapless from the very beginning, but it doesn't work flawlessly, if you were listen to some classical album, you can notice a momentarily pause during track changing, this can be disturbing as changing movement in a classical piece should be seamless and Cayin i5 didn't meet that requirement yet.

We do aware of the gapless requirements and our previous DAP, N5 and N6 has implemented that satisfactory, so to certain extend I agree that there are cheaper DAP that can do this right, our N5 is an example of that. Unfortunately our previous effort in Gapless implementation cannot transfer to i5 directly because of the Android platform, which is not the best system for hard-core audio requirements.

I think the case has been mislead. Cayin has listened to user feedback sincerely and we have responded publicly that Gapless refinement is in our to-do list. The disagreement was on the priority of the feature. The player was launched at mid-July at Singapore (the first International market for i5), and we haven been working on urgent bugs and promised features (such as USB-Audio support) in past few weeks, We have to put all the refinement requirements to a lower priority.

It is easy enough to say we are working on it right now and find another excuse to delay at next firmware release. On the other hands, Cayin wants to be as transparent and honest as possible, we advice potential customers who consider Gapless as top-priority to either WAIT until we have new announcement on this feature, or audition the unit before you jump on board. For customers who had bought our i5 already and is looking forwards to an improved Gapless, please be patient and be assured that we have put this into the to-do list, and will come back to this features later. I hope this will clarify our thoughts and position on the Gapless issue.

That's more than fair enough, and I know you have mentioned it in the past.  I tend to listen to a lot of progressive rock where the tracks flow into one another.  To have a gap there is just annoying frankly.  Will wait a bit.

Thanks for the explanation!

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #1,191 of 3,742
Just curious...

Will i5 play FLAC + CUE files without gaps? If so, that's a good (if somewhat more laborious) process.

Last resort should be to rip as a continuous file or to stitch preexisting files together for seamless playback and rely on breakpoint / resume playback to keep your place between sessions. Won't get individual for info this way, but at least transitions won't be jarring.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,192 of 3,742
i5 has Gapless from the very beginning, but it doesn't work flawlessly, if you were listen to some classical album, you can notice a momentarily pause during track changing, this can be disturbing as changing movement in a classical piece should be seamless and Cayin i5 didn't meet that requirement yet.

We do aware of the gapless requirements and our previous DAP, N5 and N6 has implemented that satisfactory, so to certain extend I agree that there are cheaper DAP that can do this right, our N5 is an example of that. Unfortunately our previous effort in Gapless implementation cannot transfer to i5 directly because of the Android platform, which is not the best system for hard-core audio requirements.

I think the case has been mislead. Cayin has listened to user feedback sincerely and we have responded publicly that Gapless refinement is in our to-do list. The disagreement was on the priority of the feature. The player was launched at mid-July at Singapore (the first International market for i5), and we haven been working on urgent bugs and promised features (such as USB-Audio support) in past few weeks, We have to put all the refinement requirements to a lower priority.

It is easy enough to say we are working on it right now and find another excuse to delay at next firmware release. On the other hands, Cayin wants to be as transparent and honest as possible, we advice potential customers who consider Gapless as top-priority to either WAIT until we have new announcement on this feature, or audition the unit before you jump on board. For customers who had bought our i5 already and is looking forwards to an improved Gapless, please be patient and be assured that we have put this into the to-do list, and will come back to this features later. I hope this will clarify our thoughts and position on the Gapless issue.

Thanks Andy. I was under the impression that it wasn't even implemented at all. That makes a lot more sense.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #1,195 of 3,742

Code:
[color=rgb(33,33,33)]
Help is needed!
How to downgrade the firmware to version 1.8 ( the Chinese ) to version 1.5 ( international ) ?
[/color]

Sorry, Android does not allow roll back to previous version.

You can flash your DAP to v1.8 international version when available. We have just received UI translation from our Russian, Korea and Japan distributor, a bit later then expected, but we should be able to pack them all into the v1.8 international version in two, at most three days time, will announce in this thread as soon as the new firmware is ready, please stay tune for that.

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,196 of 3,742
Thanks Andy. I was under the impression that it wasn't even implemented at all. That makes a lot more sense.

Never mind, I know the case has been misrepresented, hopefully we can bring good news to the group promptly, please come back and check our progress, especially when we have new firmware announcements. :beerchug:

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #1,197 of 3,742
Well, yes, I understand you. I opened the firmware file and saw that the "update-script" file at the beginning of the line, where there is a check device name and version of the build (date). This line can be removed, but then you have to re-sign the file with the firmware to be able again to flash.
Question one more question: What should I do if the sound of the new version do not like and want to revert to the previous version of the firmware?

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #1,198 of 3,742
Well, yes, I understand you. I opened the firmware file and saw that the "update-script" file at the beginning of the line, where there is a check device name and version of the build (date). This line can be removed, but then you have to re-sign the file with the firmware to be able again to flash.

Question one more question: What should I do if the sound of the new version do not like and want to revert to the previous version of the firmware?

There are things that is possible, but we, as manufacturer, cannot and will not encourage. Rooting an Android device is one example, and tempering firmware is another. It might work when it was done correctly by expert who knows what they are doing, but can be a disaster when non-technical users are trying to follow suit.

In addition, rooting and/or tempering of firmware will void your warranty, I believe this is a common practice to most, if not all, Android mobile appliance/products.

Of course users are free to discuss or perform whatever they believe as appropriate to their DAP, as long as they are fully aware of the potential consequence, we shall happy to provide limited technical support that is not directly relate to procedure that might endanger warranty coverage.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,200 of 3,742
  does anyone experience the player crash ? i swear mine happens at least once during each listening session

Playing DSD...yes. FLAC is fine for me.
v1.8 seems to be more stable during DSD playback. I tested the v1.8 china firmware on mine and it seemed to have solved my earlier DSD playback problem while on v1.5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back